S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Ohlins DFV Review (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/ohlins-dfv-review-1054084/)

MADANT15 10-18-2013 12:05 PM

Ohlins DFV Review

Hi Guys,

After tracking my AP2 with stock dampers with Tein S Tech springs for several years I wanted improved shock control and thoroughly researched many options, particularly those that would allow me to stay in street class for s2000 challenge. I ended up settling on Ohlins DFVs because of their proven track record for superior shock damping, weight savings, high quality construction, and single compression/ rebound adjustment. After discussing my goals with Patrick from URGE designs, I decided to go with a bit stiffer spring rates than originally are paired with the dampers which was accomplished by moving the 572lb/in springs from the front to the rear and adding 700lb/in Eibach springs to the front.

Installation was relatively straight forward, and is a bit easier than replacing stock shocks due to the fact that the Ohlins are a bit shorter. Installing the front shocks required unbolting the upper control arms, but other than that no other tricks were necessary. I had the car corner balanced and aligned after the installation, but left the preload at the factory settings.

My first shake down with the new dampers was at Buttonwillow CW #13 in September with the following setup on the car:
Ohlins DFV with 700/572 lb in springs
APR GTC 200
J's Racing front camber joints and RCAs
Alignment: -2.4 camber f/ -2.7 rear, 5.8 degrees caster, 1/16in toe in rear
255/40/17 BFG Rivals on TR MS 17X9 all around
Carbotech XP10/8

I started out with the dampers 5 clicks out from full stiff front and rear to have a general starting point that would match the stiffer spring rates. However, in my first session I realized that these damper settings far too stiff, as I was experiencing both significant understeer and oversteer on Buttonwillow's rough tarmac. I backed the dampers out 2 clicks front and rear before the next session, and noticed a significant improvement in shock control with a considerable decrease in understeer and snap oversteer. After playing with the dampers more over the next few sessions, I ended up with them at 9 clicks from full hard as the sweet spot which resulted in both incredible turn in and high speed stability compared to my previous suspension setup. :thumbup:

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase, my s feels like a completely different car with a much higher limit. I am headed back to Buttonwillow tomorrow now that I have dialed in my new setup to see if I can beat my personal best of 2:01.9. Big thanks to Patrick at Urge designs for helping me out with the selection and making the purchasing process smooth and easy.

Til next time,
-Anthony

:drive:

MB 10-18-2013 12:43 PM

:thumbup:

That's a pretty stiff front spring rate. What sway bars are you using?

Are the DFV custom valved to the spring rates or just out the box?

GT Motoring 10-18-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MB (Post 22834953)
:thumbup:

That's a pretty stiff front spring rate. What sway bars are you using?

Are the DFV custom valved to the spring rates or just out the box?

We use 700 in front pretty much on most track s2000s, especially if on stock sway bars FWIW

MB 10-18-2013 01:02 PM

I'm using 650 front but with a Saner bar the front is a little on the stiff side for my liking, but UK tracks have a big mix of bumpy and smooth. I prefer to keep the coilovers compliant and leave the ARB / sway bars to prevent roll.

I plan to use 600fr 500r, although the car only weighs about 1060kg (race car)

MADANT15 10-18-2013 02:20 PM

I am using the CR front bar. The car weighs around 2700lbs with a 1/2 tank and no driver.

boyguan 10-19-2013 07:24 AM

Almost never a bad review. I think I know what m getting next

Post a vid if you get a chance. I would love to see how the car is on a track i know

HEL Performance 10-23-2013 10:32 PM

We have 5 Ohlins DFV coming in in December at a good price. Not sure what you guys in the US can get them for but maybe we can save S2Ki members outside the UK some money too on these.

robrob 10-24-2013 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by boyguan (Post 22835787)

Post a vid if you get a chance. I would love to see how the car is on a track i know

It's hard to write a bad review when you put so much money into an upgrade. The important part of the review will be the follow-up lap times dropping below his personal best.

One of these days I'm going to have to write a piece about all the upgrades I've done that didn't make me or my car faster.

s2000ellier 10-24-2013 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by robrob (Post 22843818)

Originally Posted by boyguan' timestamp='1382196277' post='22835787

It's hard to write a bad review when you put so much money into an upgrade. The important part of the review will be the follow-up lap times dropping below his personal best.

One of these days I'm going to have to write a piece about all the upgrades I've done that didn't make me or my car faster.

now that sounds useful

Sebring AP1 10-24-2013 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by robrob (Post 22843818)

Originally Posted by boyguan' timestamp='1382196277' post='22835787

I don't think we're ever going to find out regarding this specific AP2. I'll let OP chime in however regarding that matter.