S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Oil pan baffle - opinions/experience needed (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/oil-pan-baffle-opinions-experience-needed-1199912/)

512S2k 02-18-2020 06:21 PM

Oil pan baffle - opinions/experience needed

Hey guys/gals

I am looking at purchasing and installing an oil pan with baffle installed. I track my car, with 40k miles on my Ap2 motor and the cost of a replacement motor isn’t getting any cheaper...

I’m looking at:
Toda Racing
Js Racing
Mugen

Js and Mugen look the same but toda looks like it perhaps is higher capacity?

Can anyone provide feedback on those and/or suggest other options?

I don’t want a separate weld in baffle, and I want perfect fitment.

Please provide any info you might have!

Thanks in advance!
Casey

gotembro 02-18-2020 06:35 PM

I have the Ballade sport bolt in oil pan baffle, with 0 issues. They have made newer version from there old one that had shaving. I have 0 metal in my oil. I am very happy with it.
I know other will say it's not good but 0 issues for me

512S2k 02-18-2020 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gotembro (Post 24692873)
I have the Ballade sport bolt in oil pan baffle, with 0 issues. They have made newer version from there old one that had shaving. I have 0 metal in my oil. I am very happy with it.
I know other will say it's not good but 0 issues for me

Thanks bro! I appreciate your feedback.
yeah I have seen some people with bad stories on the metal shavings. For whatever the cost I don’t want the chance of hurting the motor since the goal is to protect it. Same with Canton for some reason I have in my head that either fitment was an issue or quality control in the baffles.

Thats why I was going to go with the JDM tuners, just because they seem to have some of the best quality in aftermarket parts.

Hondahero10 02-18-2020 08:39 PM

I would highly recommend looking at Blacktrax's oil pan, it is a little pricy but super high quality and excellent workmanship: New Product - S2000 Baffled Oil Pan
I have been running this pan for over 3 years with about 3 track days a year running 255 street tires with big aero and am still on my stock AP2 motor. I'm not logging oil pressures but have not had any issues yet.

I originally purchased a Canton pan and ended up selling it due to poor build quality. The flange was very sketchy, super narrow in spots, especially in the corners. The flange was also very warped. I am sure one could have installed it leak free with enough Hondabond but it was extremely important to me to not increase my risk of an oil leak. The Canton pan was also heavy and if you are like most people tracking their S2000's you probably already have an oil cooler and won't benefit much from the additional quart of oil capacity.

I would assume the JDM companies you mentioned that have designs using the OEM pan are comparable to Blacktrax's unit.

Bullwings 02-19-2020 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hondahero10 (Post 24692901)
I would highly recommend looking at Blacktrax's oil pan, it is a little pricy but super high quality and excellent workmanship: New Product - S2000 Baffled Oil Pan
I have been running this pan for over 3 years with about 3 track days a year running 255 street tires with big aero and am still on my stock AP2 motor. I'm not logging oil pressures but have not had any issues yet.

I originally purchased a Canton pan and ended up selling it due to poor build quality. The flange was very sketchy, super narrow in spots, especially in the corners. The flange was also very warped. I am sure one could have installed it leak free with enough Hondabond but it was extremely important to me to not increase my risk of an oil leak. The Canton pan was also heavy and if you are like most people tracking their S2000's you probably already have an oil cooler and won't benefit much from the additional quart of oil capacity.

I would assume the JDM companies you mentioned that have designs using the OEM pan are comparable to Blacktrax's unit.

+1 for Blacktrax. I have that oil pan also.

It's also race proven - Andrie Hartanto from Prima racing used it in his s2000 that he campaigned in SCCA STU and in USTCC (US touring car championship).
They're a sponsor for him.

https://www.prima-racing.com/

FZXtreme 02-19-2020 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings (Post 24693049)
+1 for Blacktrax. I have that oil pan also.

It's also race proven - Andrie Hartanto from Prima racing used it in his s2000 that he campaigned in SCCA STU and in USTCC (US touring car championship).
They're a sponsor for him.

https://www.prima-racing.com/

+2 for Blacktrax.
Been using for years without issue and never seen anything off whenever I had my oil tested.

ryanmdel 02-19-2020 10:31 AM

I have the EVS bolt in baffle although its really more of a slosh plate, if I did it again I would go with the Ballade Sports since it has a little more shielding around the pickup. I wanted to avoid the weld in ones since some people had welds brake.
I don't notice any major drops in pressure at the track but I'm not logging or staring at the gauge all the time through corners.

Bullwings 02-19-2020 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ryanmdel (Post 24693103)
I have the EVS bolt in baffle although its really more of a slosh plate, if I did it again I would go with the Ballade Sports since it has a little more shielding around the pickup. I wanted to avoid the weld in ones since some people had welds brake.
I don't notice any major drops in pressure at the track but I'm not logging or staring at the gauge all the time through corners.

Welds break and bolts come loose. You decide which has a higher probability of occurring, and if it does occur, which has a more detrimental outcome...

ryanmdel 02-19-2020 11:19 AM

The bolt in kits come with crush washers and torqued to a proper spec I doubt they would ever back out on their own (I didn't weld in my oil pan bolts and I don't think they'll back out :). I like that the bolt in kits don't actually make contact with the oil pan so its not going to rub and make metal shavings that can be sucked up which I think would be more likely for a weld in but that's my 2 cents.

scottdh20 02-19-2020 11:23 AM

i also run the ballad bolt in baffle, also no issue for 2 years now and no shavings issues