S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Pro'a vs Con's - trailing vs driving to track

Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, there are definitely some cons to look into for owning a trailer but (for me at least) the benefits outweigh troubles. I'm able to store the trailer at home so that helps in storage fees and theft. We've had a couple people here in Texas that have had their trailers stolen so just beware of that and have as many security devices as you can. Locks for the hitch-lock, one for the tongue, possibly a boot for the wheel, etc. I haven't heard about the rusting issue, so that's good to note, but I have an open trailer. See if you can maybe fit vents on an enclosed trailer? As for unloading, you have to do that regardless but the benefit of having extra tires and tools is that you have to unpack more, as you stated.

Originally Posted by limbo
Great write up.

In regards to your conclusion, though, its a little more than $40.
Okay okay, $43... lol. Just deny the hashbrown from McDonalds both mornings and you'll make up for it.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
If you have the means to haul & store a trailer then I don't see why anyone with go without one. The logistics of getting home after a wreck is reason enough to have a trailer.
This plus possible breakdowns, really tilt toward towing

If you can afford enclosed, you introduce:

1. The benefits of getting out of the weather, hot/cold/rain
2. Cheap hotel
3. A place to hang out, view and analyze your vids and data
4. Great place to eat, and after a long day
Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I do both, since I have a truck but I make the decision based on distance. If im going to an HPDE within a few hours of home and will be leaving and returning in the same day, I drive the car. Less to pack / unpack, can travel quicker on the highway and im still within my AAA platinum plus tow range (200 miles), and it often means I can be home and unpacked after an event with plenty of time to go out for dinner etc. Adding a trailer eliminates that.

If I am going farther away or for a multi-day event I will trailer so I can bring extra parts, wheels, luggage, or my girlfriend if she wants to come. It also means I dont need to worry about how the car is getting home if I break something.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the peace of mind if something goes wrong I'm not effed. Bring food, bbq, ice chest, wheels, tools, overhang for me and my friends to hang out in the shade, relaxing drive to the track. It really isn't that bad loading and unloading.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Can anyone ballpark what one could expect to spend on an open trailer and other towing necessities/accessories?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Old 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow great feedback guys! So my wife wants either an x5 or a range rover. I think my plan will be to make sure these are capable or towing and then for the special glen weekend trips see if I can rent a trailer for now. See how it goes this summer and maybe buy a trailer next season and keep car inside during the winter and it needs to be stores anyhow. As I mentioned I can get to lime rock in 1 hr. In fact when the wastegate stopped holding boost after my 2nd session I drove back 1/2 throttle got home got my m drove back and was allowed to run back to back in the last session so I didn't miss anything! My wife doesn't knowing but when I suggested we move to our town, in the back of my mind it was partially so we could be so close to LRP!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Wow great feedback guys! So my wife wants either an x5 or a range rover.
X5 diesel

If you plan on RACING or going balls out, trailer for sure. At this point, your car should also have a cage and you should have a HANS device.

Me personally, I go to the track to have a safe environment to drive fast and have fun. Therefore, I'm not pushing too hard and well within the limits. Hence, I just drive to the track, have fun, drive home.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car isn't gutted and caged, seats, harness, airbags removed, and roll bar. I'm planning to just do DE for now racing against the data acquisition system, but may step up to TT. No interest w2w in this car or maybe at all. I love the chance of shaving 1/2 a sec and getting consistently low times.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQnUGwcxCQ[/media]

Originally Posted by josserman
Car isn't gutted and caged, seats, harness, airbags removed, and roll bar. I'm planning to just do DE for now racing against the data acquisition system, but may step up to TT. No interest w2w in this car or maybe at all. I love the chance of shaving 1/2 a sec and getting consistently low times.

My recommendation would be to definitely start trailering when you begin competition events. While there is always risk involved even with DE's, the risk moves up when the competitive blood starts flowing. Above is a video from a TT event.

Quick Reply: Pro'a vs Con's - trailing vs driving to track