S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Quick Release and Steering Hub Recommendations

Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
So I have to ask.. What's the reason so many people go with QR hubs these days? If you spend some serious time at the track I understand the desire to be able to quickly escape should you need to, but what about the casual hpde'rs and street cars, bling?
I'm short 5'6" and my seat will be rather close to the steering wheel. With a high thigh bolster seat, Sparco Circuit, the QR steering wheel will make ingress and egress much easier on me.

My car is 95% track and trailered to the track.

Regardless of whether your comment was directed at me, that's my rational.

Originally Posted by ISADE
Either you go all out on safety or you stay stock, from everything I've heard. That doesn't just include roll bar, seats, and 5/6 point harness, but if you do that you'll also want to remove your oem wheel because it has an airbag. I actually like the OEM steering wheel and wouldn't recommend changing it if you're still got stock seatbelts.
You can unplug the airbag and retain your OEM steering wheel and still use your 5/6 point harness and race bucket. Am I wrong?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by uh0h50
Bling factor. Weight savings.
Minimal weight saving.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not hear to debate safety equipment, I'm just asking why people opt for the QR vs non-QR steering wheels. I get the safety reason for a QR steering wheel for people who frequent the track (heck, sometimes you practically need to remove the wheel to get in the seat, much less need to escape the car in a wreck), but let's be honest, that's the minority of people here. So what's the rationale, bling? I'm primarily just an HPDE'er, and even if I did TTs, I'm not sure it'd necessarily warrant a QR hub.
Ohhhhhh my bad. It is also a theft deterrent, you can take the wheel inside and someone can't steal the car as easily as if there was a steering wheel.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Minimal weight saving.
Weight savings nonetheless. Every ounce counts for some people.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm short 5'6" and my seat will be rather close to the steering wheel. With a high thigh bolster seat, Sparco Circuit, the QR steering wheel will make ingress and egress much easier on me.

I understand your rationale (I remember you mentioning previously you'll be running halo seats), so the question wasn't directed at you specifically. I guess the answer is for most folks it's bling. I kind of get the whole "security" aspect of it, but these days if someone wants your car, it's a whole lot easier and faster often times w/ a flatbed..
Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You can unplug the airbag and retain your OEM steering wheel and still use your 5/6 point harness and race bucket. Am I wrong?
Actually that would be quite useful for me if you know of some instructions on how to do that properly, I need a race seat and roll bar for trackdays but I still want to be STR legal, can't have an aftermarket steering wheel because your replacement has to be heavier than the stock steering wheel, which would never be the case.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For me it was a way to space out the steering wheel. I couldnt drive the car with the stock wheel in place, my hands would hit my legs when turning. It also make it easier to get out of the car. When the car is in the enclosed trailer, a cage, closed door and a steering wheel makes it hard to get out. Being able to remove the steering helps a lot.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not hear to debate safety equipment, I'm just asking why people opt for the QR vs non-QR steering wheels. I get the safety reason for a QR steering wheel for people who frequent the track (heck, sometimes you practically need to remove the wheel to get in the seat, much less need to escape the car in a wreck), but let's be honest, that's the minority of people here. So what's the rationale, bling? I'm primarily just an HPDE'er, and even if I did TTs, I'm not sure it'd necessarily warrant a QR hub.
Have you seen the side bolstering of an OMP HTE-R XL seat? I need all the extra room and help I can get to get in that damn seat. I can barely make it out with the wheel attached.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Another NRG Gen3, with the paddle looking release handles. I loved it, worked flawlessly.
I used the larger hub that fit over the clock spring so everything worked as normal.

Used with a sparco wheel:

I did it because I added a sparco circuit pro seat, which had high bolsters, which interfered with ingress/egress. Initially, it was on sliders, so I could slide the seat back and get out. But eventually I fixed the seat, added fire suppression, and the QR.

Transformed the interior to feeling like a cockpit.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I need better knee clearance for heel toe downshifting now that i have installed new seats(i went from recaro PP to the Sparco Circuit 2 Halo seats and the seating position is not as good). my knees hit the bottom of the steering wheel when i heel toe. therefor i am going with a much smaller OMP wheel with a flat bottom like the one pictured above(this is not my car).
Sorry to revisit an older thread, but which quick release/hub assemblies out there give you approximately the same steering wheel position as stock? I see you can get shorter or longer ones but I have no point of reference in terms of which would equate to a stock like positioning of the wheel. I would like something close to stock. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Snowmants; 06-27-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick Release and Steering Hub Recommendations