S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Quicker steering, more angle

Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
i spent 4/6 hours on a track yesterday, over 200 miles. these steering knuckles are awesome. any time i had any oversteer, correcting it was a breeze. i wasnt timing myself, but i did log a 1.14.6 on poconos southeast track. My car is on stock wheels, stock tire sizes, stock suspension, with minor power mods. I,H,T with track pads.
I know this is an old post, but did you have to install spacers to your front stock wheels for angle clearance?
Old 06-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Nope, no spacers. As an update to this thread, drift steering knuckles are not faster on track or at the auto cross. They do however change the dynamic of the car making it much easier to slide for drifting or messing around. For some it's a plus, others will prob not like them that much. IMHO, it's great for the street and track, they don't require a realignment when you swap knuckles, it's great for what it's intended for.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

How much more camber do they allow for?
Are they a disadvantage during a timed lap?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Be aware that quicker steering experience varies with driver style. My previous autocross tool was an S13 240sx with the quicker steering rack from a HICAS equipped car. I have trouble staying smooth on the wheel, so when I went from the stock ~350mm wheel to a 300mm wheel, I was out of control jerky. I was able to find a workable compromise with a 325mm steering wheel.

The S2k does respond well to a little drift style if you can get comfy with it. Wifey and I co-drive our AP1 and we were at an autocross yesterday with temps in the high 90's. We get 6 runs each, so even with spraying the RE-71R's, it got greasy about halfway through. I changed my approach on my last run from "tap & turn" to "lift & drift" to work around the oversteer on hot tires and dropped a second on a 45 second course, on greasy tires!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
Nope, no spacers. As an update to this thread, drift steering knuckles are not faster on track or at the auto cross. They do however change the dynamic of the car making it much easier to slide for drifting or messing around. For some it's a plus, others will prob not like them that much. IMHO, it's great for the street and track, they don't require a realignment when you swap knuckles, it's great for what it's intended for.

Oh alright. I just assumed it was necessary for clearance when you stated "not possible on stock suspension\wheels".
Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 AM

Those where the camber plates, they give the front suspension -5~ -10 degrees of camber for extreme drift heads
Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 PM

Hey, I just got Chris Jeannerete's Angle kit (not installed yet), which is essentially the camber plates plus tie rod adjustment: http://www.chrisjeanneretracing.com/...ant=1068071504

I noticed your front camber is only -1, which is where mine is at and I have 0 toe. I just did a drift event and was having a hell of a time with major understeer and I thought it was due to my front camber setting. I rely heavily on Scandinavian flick and clutch kicking to break traction but I felt like I only had 10-25 degrees of angle to keep the car in control before spinning or straightening out. It was like there was no room to keep it in drift.

I would also need to initiate really hard to combat the understeer, but would immediately get to full lock upon initiation with no more angle to save me from spinning. Did your angle kit help with holding deeper angles on initiation and save you from spinning?

Sorry for all the questions, but coming from an s13 and e36, this car is making me feel like a complete noob at drifting again.

- Rum Runner
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 AM

Remove the front sway bar. that should help out.

I never would go to full lock, maybe a quarter to half turn before full lock.

Also, if the rear tires are too big the car will want to push and straighten out. I usually run sticker tires up front to offset that. Ie, a track tire up front with all seasons in the back. I also run higher than normal air pressure in the rear to minimize my contact patch. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50psi cold.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:47 PM

Did you drift your car with just the knuckles first and then with the camber plates? If so, which set up would you recommend for a road race car that would also be drift capable?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by roxzorz
Did you drift your car with just the knuckles first and then with the camber plates? If so, which set up would you recommend for a road race car that would also be drift capable?
I've never installed my camber plates, its a minimal of 5 degrees of negative camber and its prob closer to 7 with a max of 10. Thats nuts. I only use knuckles.

Get two sets of front knuckles, one for drifting, one stock. Set the alignment for road racing and take the knuckles off and swap to the drift ones. Your alignment should stay the same as your only removing fixed location parts. I tried using the drift knuckles on track for a while, but it just doesn't work. I tried autox, that didnt work either, but it was veeeeeeeery enjoyable. Maybe I'll slap mine on tomorrow.....

imo, set the car up for road racing, and convert to drifting as needed. Also street driving in drift mode is so much fun especially if you can slide the car stock.

Quick Reply: Quicker steering, more angle