S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Quicker steering, more angle

Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
Don't be sorry for the thread jack. This is the best resource s2ki has for us drift heads. That setup looks siiiiick!!!! I'll prob grab myself a pair, please report back with updates after you get used to them.

Ps- When I did my kit, Chris was still working on his prototype control arms. Thoooose we're going to be pricy, glad he made this much cheaper solution.
Cool, glad we can make a joint resource for potential drifters out there. I need to amend my post above. My version actually has 2 angle settings (the one in the image is the older version). Chris and I will be working together to mark the alignment measurements on the tie rod for both angle settings and I'll post that here (hopefully within the next week or so).

I'm taking it to the circuit today so I'll see how the high angle setting works for road racing. Daily driving has been fine for me, but I'm interested to see how it feels when I really push the car. My wheel/tire setup for the track today will be 17x10 +50 with 255/40/17 Hankook RS3.

Next time I go to the track, I'll test the low angle setting (same alignment specs). Then to the drift events in October and use the angle kit for its intended purpose.... lol
Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM

September 14 Track Test: Road Course

Suspension Setup:

Ksport Kontrol Pro(lol) coilovers, SPC adjustable ball joint F/R, Chris Jeannerete Angle Kit

Wheel/Tire Setup:
Advan RSII 17x10 +50, Hankook RS3 255/40

Alignment:
Camber: -2.6F/-2.7R
Toe: 0F/0R
Caster: 6.8 degrees

CJR Angle Setting:
High Angle Setting

Initial feeling is that turn in response feels like a car with no power steering. 255/40 tires don't help this either, however my 215/40 daily tires were even harder to turn with the angle kit installed as well. I kept in mind that I am on the high-angle setting and this greatly reduces ackerman, so my outlook will likely change when I test on the lower-angle setting. High-speed stability felt like it was compromised with an increase in bumpsteer, but this did not affect my confidence going from 124mph to 80MP through the first turn at The Ridge Motorsports Park. You just gotta let your hands slow dance with the steering wheel a little more and don't death grip it. Which is counterintuitive because turning the steering wheel is harder with the ackerman reduced and the tie rods mounted closer to the inside of the knuckle (see image in earlier post). Hard braking before a corner really makes it hard to turn in and as my foot slowly released the brake through the corner, the steering became much easier (like night and day difference). Ok that sounds obvious, but I had to write it down for the people reading my experience. Keep in mind that this angle kit is made for drifting, but I wanted to measure the pro-con for someone like me that wants to do both drift and road race. Some of the negative sounding aspects of the angle kit as they relate to road racing might be a positive for drift. I'm sure a more competent person could put what I felt at the track into more engineery talk for you folks out there.

I'll be going to a drift event in mid-late October and doing another road race event with the lower steering angle before that. I'll keep reporting what I feel and hopefully someone can extrapolate what I feel into engineering speak.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

When I tracked / autox'd I'd experience understeer as I could turn in too fast.

On the other hand, I once had the car sideways at 145mph downhill. Not intentional, and it was on the street. You're going to love it
Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by RumRunnerS2k
September 14 Track Test: Road Course

Suspension Setup:
Ksport Kontrol Pro(lol) coilovers, SPC adjustable ball joint F/R, Chris Jeannerete Angle Kit

Wheel/Tire Setup:
Advan RSII 17x10 +50, Hankook RS3 255/40

Alignment:
Camber: -2.6F/-2.7R
Toe: 0F/0R
Caster: 6.8 degrees

CJR Angle Setting:
High Angle Setting

Initial feeling is that turn in response feels like a car with no power steering. 255/40 tires don't help this either, however my 215/40 daily tires were even harder to turn with the angle kit installed as well. I kept in mind that I am on the high-angle setting and this greatly reduces ackerman, so my outlook will likely change when I test on the lower-angle setting. High-speed stability felt like it was compromised with an increase in bumpsteer, but this did not affect my confidence going from 124mph to 80MP through the first turn at The Ridge Motorsports Park. You just gotta let your hands slow dance with the steering wheel a little more and don't death grip it. Which is counterintuitive because turning the steering wheel is harder with the ackerman reduced and the tie rods mounted closer to the inside of the knuckle (see image in earlier post). Hard braking before a corner really makes it hard to turn in and as my foot slowly released the brake through the corner, the steering became much easier (like night and day difference). Ok that sounds obvious, but I had to write it down for the people reading my experience. Keep in mind that this angle kit is made for drifting, but I wanted to measure the pro-con for someone like me that wants to do both drift and road race. Some of the negative sounding aspects of the angle kit as they relate to road racing might be a positive for drift. I'm sure a more competent person could put what I felt at the track into more engineery talk for you folks out there.

I'll be going to a drift event in mid-late October and doing another road race event with the lower steering angle before that. I'll keep reporting what I feel and hopefully someone can extrapolate what I feel into engineering speak.
Been following your videos on youtube. Great content, man. I was just wondering about that road course event and if you had any additional input/impressions of the CJR kit.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 AM

Going to take my car drifting next month, first time for me in over two years, should be a good time but I'm a bit nervous about the rust. I'm going to run my track spec alignment, slap on the drift knuckles, take off the fsb, and reconnect the rsb. Truthfully, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for rain so that my entry speeds in to turn one will be lower, i'm thinking I could probably enter in to it at 100/110+ ugh, scary, scary, scary. The car feels extremely underpowered at those speeds and I'll be really depending on my entry to get it right. Its an open track day, and I'm really nervous that I'll put my S in to a wall at some point going a ridiculous speed, ****.

When in doubt, 360 out. Fingers crossed that works, and i'll finally post some new content.
The following users liked this post:
AndrewMiya (03-03-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Didnt do too bad considering its been two years since I last drifted. I'm rusty as all hell on using the handbrake while downshifting, kept getting it backwards. But overall, car control / confidence are back. I had a blast and I'll post up some videos later this week when i get some time. For now i made a spoof on why you shouldnt drift at a track day.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Finally had some time to put this together, had a blast sliding the car. Wish i had axles and a diff to push it a bit further but thats next time.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 AM