S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which radiator to choose?

Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
You choose poorly, but you are welcome for the feedback.
If I was boosted, I would have gone with the Mr. Sideways. But it's $850 (Mr. Sideways from SBG with fans and shipping) vs. $275 (Koyo with cap). Car is not overheating; I just want to bring the temps down for long term reliability. It's hard to justify the $575 delta.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
you ever going to sell that intake combo design?
The prototype that I'm running was expensive. But Prototypes always are. I'll ask about pricing. It worked nicely on mine. Coolant temps stayed right at 170 (thermostat). But I would NOT try it with boost. It reduces the size by a fair amount. I didn't do apples to apples comparison at the drag strip so my data is not accurate due to temp changes and switching from E85 to MS109 but same tires and no weight removed my 1st trip with standard radiator was a trap speed of 104 on a cool night. I went back with this radiator and MS109 on a Hot night and trapped 107 iirc. I went back on a Cool night and more RPM and trapped 111mph.. The protoype is out of mine currently for the turbo swap. I haven't decided if I want to sell all the N/A stuff yet or not.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 06-20-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways

Looking at this picture, and knowing you have a new friend with a CFD setup, it may be interesting to model this setup. The engine intake should be creating a low pressure area on its feed while the radiator is creating a high pressure area on its front surface. I wondering if you are bleeding air off the radiator and into the intake. If so, a divider between them may alleviate that and improve cooling.

The CFD could determine if that is likely to be occurring and how deep the divider should be, and whether it should be a 2D plate or a complete extension of the cold air inlet.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I think a lot of people would like that cold air intake. If there was a way to work that with enough cooling capacity for a 600-800hp turbo that would be a really big deal since most of those cars seem to have the air intake behind the radiator, oil cooler, AC condenser, and intercooler.
NACA duct in the hood to supply intake air is the approach I took. It adds frontal air intake area instead of taking it away from the heat exchangers.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
NACA duct in the hood to supply intake air is the approach I took. It adds frontal air intake area instead of taking it away from the heat exchangers.
I had played with that. Mine was over cooling to the point were the T stat was staying shut most of the time and the car was always cyclinging in and out of cold start mode. (guess the K25 on E85 ran cooler then F20). So I did this as an experiment. I can say I was very pleased with it. I watched my intake temps on track and it was ambient. I didn't have a pressure differential gauge to test the ram air effect. but the car ran Right spot on the thermostat regulated temp of 170f so i was pleased.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Which hood vents are those again please?
Honda S2000 Hood Louvers
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Do you have a picture?

NACA DUCT VS. SCOOP: NACA Duct vs. Scoops | Ivanitski
Old 06-20-2018, 11:09 AM

I had played with that. Mine was over cooling to the point were the T stat was staying shut most of the time and the car was always cyclinging in and out of cold start mode. (guess the K25 on E85 ran cooler then F20). So I did this as an experiment. I can say I was very pleased with it. I watched my intake temps on track and it was ambient. I didn't have a pressure differential gauge to test the ram air effect. but the car ran Right spot on the thermostat regulated temp of 170f so i was pleased.
That is potentially very powerful. The smaller the airflow duct needed for the radiator, the extra space can either be closed off reducing drag and lift (if the radiator isn't ducted out of the engine compartment) or can be used for oil coolers, intercoolers, and as you did, cold air intake.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Do you have a picture?

NACA DUCT VS. SCOOP: NACA Duct vs. Scoops Ivanitski
Initial testing, but later realized I had an air leak path:
Project S2000: Part 19 - Ram Air!!! Plus Hot Air Testing!

Follow-up testing with the leak path plugged:
Project S2000: Part 22 – Testing New Goods and More Intake Mods

Good study in the link. I know Dave Kern, ha! Did a write-up on his old Evo back in the day.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Couple more options:
Singular Motorsports Hood Louvers: Honda S2000 | Singular Motorsports

https://www.rtheorymotorsports.com/s...000-hood-vents

Honda S2000 Hood Louvers
The following users liked this post:
freq (06-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Which radiator to choose?