S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which radiator to choose?

Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

i love my mr sideways radiator. It solved all my over heating problem. I hated my old mishimoto radiator. I would be well over 200 degrees with it with the ac running in over 100+degree heat.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Initial testing, but later realized I had an air leak path:
Project S2000: Part 19 - Ram Air!!! Plus Hot Air Testing!

Follow-up testing with the leak path plugged:
Project S2000: Part 22 – Testing New Goods and More Intake Mods

Good study in the link. I know Dave Kern, ha! Did a write-up on his old Evo back in the day.
A lot of work, nice effort.

Two questions:

1) How did you size the duct?

2) Why did you choose to have a raised flange on the upper surface with protruding bolt heads in contrast with a flush mount from underneath with either flush mount socket head bolts or flush mount rivets? It would be the same duct molding, just a different mounting.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ

Two questions:

1) How did you size the duct?

2) Why did you choose to have a raised flange on the upper surface with protruding bolt heads in contrast with a flush mount from underneath with either flush mount socket head bolts or flush mount rivets? It would be the same duct molding, just a different mounting.
1. It matches the size of snorkel going into the airbox.

2. I thought it'd be an easier install. If you look at the picture from the underside of the hood, you can see it goes through a section of hood that's two layers thick of sheet metal.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My anecdotal opinion is that when I was on track in 90 degree weather, I was getting noticeable power loss towards the last few minutes of sessions. Unfortunately at the time, I was not monitoring temps. I bought the Koyo V and just idling in general, it will take a VERY long time before the fans ever kick on. No longer had this issue in similar temps. Just runs rock solid now. I have been following spdracerut on MotoIQ and his results seemed pretty solid. I have an NA car and plan to keep it that way. Sure, the MrSideways radiator is realistically the best you're going to get. I think it would be overkill for most people... ~10-20 degrees cooler and ~5-10 degree cooler oil temps just make me feel a bit more comfy. If it was turboed, I would say get the better one all day long though.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

UPDATE: I installed the Koyo this weekend. When I pulled the OEM rad I found this:

Except for adding an oil cooler on the passenger side, everything up front is OEM. Interesting that the AC condenser was clean on both sides. I have no idea how long the dirt has been on the rad. I have owned the car for three years now and I could not see this from any angle. In the future, annually I'm going to remove the top two radiator brackets and rock the rad back to check for accumulation on the front of the rad.

@King Tut, you can queue the "I told you so" music now

I briefly thought about just cleaning up the OEM and putting it back in, but I'm not a fan of plastic tanked radiators for reliability so went ahead and installed the Koyo. I drove around with Torque app monitoring coolant temps and even with ambient temps in the mid 80s coolant stays in the low 180s during steady cruising regardless of speed. So overall I'm happy with the Koyo so far. Looking forward to trying it on the track which is really the test that matters.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, that could use a cleaning, but I still think that the stock radiator is barely enough cooling. I think that an upgrade, especially if you have some miles on it is worth it. Those plastic endtanks are not going to last forever!
Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone run the Mr Sideways on a street car? I've heard a lot of talk about aftermarket fans not really cutting it if the car spends a lot time at idle, especially if the AC is on.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Also anyone have feedback/testing of the csf /rsg dual pass?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:16 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Bump, thinking of trying a Mr sideways radiator. Any turbo guys running this?

What is the BEST radiator that can fit in the S2K not looking for a slim one I have plenty of space
Old 08-05-2021, 06:31 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Bump, thinking of trying a Mr sideways radiator. Any turbo guys running this?

What is the BEST radiator that can fit in the S2K not looking for a slim one I have plenty of space
Rockstar garage sells a CSF dual pass radiator with fans and shroud. Similar to the Mr. sideways rad. I was able to talk down rsg to $550? Tbh, adding proper ducting to a single pass radiator yields way more benefit than a dual pass in a stock setup.

Quick Reply: Which radiator to choose?