S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see alot of people wanting to find a shortcut here to make the process "easier" and/or quicker. While I understand not having all of the tools available to do the method RAIN H8R has laid out, please keep in mind the following.

A. Your results may vary from those that successfully shortcut the process

B. This is something you do once and works when done properly, don't be in a hurry

C. What if you THINK you left no shavings behind but there was that one piece lodged somewhere that later becomes unlodged?

D. When drilling the baffle plate without having it dismounted and on a flat surface, you could slightly bend the plate up near your drain holes leaving it less effective in draining

E. Do it once and do it right
Old 07-11-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
I see alot of people wanting to find a shortcut here to make the process "easier" and/or quicker. While I understand not having all of the tools available to do the method RAIN H8R has laid out, please keep in mind the following.

B. This is something you do once and works when done properly, don't be in a hurry

C. What if you THINK you left no shavings behind but there was that one piece lodged somewhere that later becomes unlodged?

D. When drilling the baffle plate without having it dismounted and on a flat surface, you could slightly bend the plate up near your drain holes leaving it less effective in draining

I'll be honest with you. I was probably the first to contact him about performing the mod on my valve cover. I drilled mine out of necessity the quick way the day before a track weekend. I've done it without removing the baffles to two valve covers thus far with no issues. If you have the time and the money, then by all means send it to him. I look forward to meeting him this week at Honda Meet.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA

Honestly, with the tools and skills I can probably do it just as fast as someone who just drills the cover and spends a while trying to get all of the shavings out (some have mentioned it took them a few hours to do it). Do not forget, people who use compressed air to clean out the shavings are dealing with static electricity so it is not as easy as it may seem.

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by F1_DNA' timestamp='1468162879' post='24012998

I'll be honest with you. I was probably the first to contact him about performing the mod on my valve cover. I drilled mine out of necessity the quick way the day before a track weekend. I've done it without removing the baffles to two valve covers thus far with no issues. If you have the time and the money, then by all means send it to him, but don't use scare tactics to bring business to him. I look forward to meeting him this week at Honda Meet.
I cannot wait to get my eyes on that Ptuning kit :-)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Did the catch cans overfill?
Just seen this, no strangely enough it didn't?

I've got another Trackday on the 18th August so I'll see if it does it again.

Car ran fine other than the one right handed hairpin.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1467774022' post='24009905
Did the catch cans overfill?
Just seen this, no strangely enough it didn't?

I've got another Trackday on the 18th August so I'll see if it does it again.

Car ran fine other than the one right handed hairpin.

good to hear!

In other news, I took my personal modified AP1 valve cover to Gingerman Raceway this previous weekend for the WMHM x VTEC Club time attack event. I let 3 S2000s who have smokescreen issues try out the modified ap1 valve cover. 1 car was an 04-05, 2 of them were AP1. The first two did not have any smokescreen issues with the valve cover installed (Ap1 and ap2). The 3rd one (ap1) still had issues, but he had twin radium catch cans. I looked into the radium catch cans and it does not look like they have baffles to keep oil in the bottom, the cans are not very deep, the outlet is on the side of the can so oil can simply push itself out of the catch can in high G load corners.

Keep in mind, the valve cover modification does NOT eliminate oil escaping the valve cover, it greatly REDUCES the amount of oil that can come out of it.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
good to hear!

In other news, I took my personal modified AP1 valve cover to Gingerman Raceway this previous weekend for the WMHM x VTEC Club time attack event. I let 3 S2000s who have smokescreen issues try out the modified ap1 valve cover. 1 car was an 04-05, 2 of them were AP1. The first two did not have any smokescreen issues with the valve cover installed (Ap1 and ap2). The 3rd one (ap1) still had issues, but he had twin radium catch cans. I looked into the radium catch cans and it does not look like they have baffles to keep oil in the bottom, the cans are not very deep, the outlet is on the side of the can so oil can simply push itself out of the catch can in high G load corners.

Keep in mind, the valve cover modification does NOT eliminate oil escaping the valve cover, it greatly REDUCES the amount of oil that can come out of it.
Yep Devin still had issues with it, but the Radium can has the filter on the side and not very high up versus my catch can with a large breather filter on the top of the can and baffles inside the can to keep the oil in the can. With that being said, even with my drilled valve cover I filled my catch can and had some oil escape the filter during my 6th session on Saturday. Gingerman is definitely the worst track I have been to for smoking S2000s with NOLA being the second worst. I saw multiple smoking S2000s during the weekend. I am still really happy with the valve cover mods and my catch can, and I ran more laps than I ever have on Friday which explains why I filled my can. The car was fine the rest of the weekend.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:34 PM

When I checked my Saikoumichi cans they where both dry. There was a couple of drops of watery liquid in the front breather can. but PCV can was completely dry.

I reckon I've emptied the can whilst drifting on the hairpin because the amount of blue smoke was enough to get comments from the track marshals.

Both cans are connected to separate ports on the intake tube before the N1200. I think the vac is too strong.

As my cans do not have breathers do you think I should swop them for cans that do?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1468895961' post='24019747
good to hear!

Yep Devin still had issues with it, but the Radium can has the filter on the side and not very high up versus my catch can with a large breather filter on the top of the can and baffles inside the can to keep the oil in the can. With that being said, even with my drilled valve cover I filled my catch can and had some oil escape the filter during my 6th session on Saturday. Gingerman is definitely the worst track I have been to for smoking S2000s with NOLA being the second worst. I saw multiple smoking S2000s during the weekend. I am still really happy with the valve cover mods and my catch can, and I ran more laps than I ever have on Friday which explains why I filled my can. The car was fine the rest of the weekend.
Question; did it take 6 sessions to fill/spill out of the catch can? Or you filled it in one session, the 6th?

For reference, in my recent NASA race there (without any drilled baffle) I filled and sprayed over 1 quart of oil. In a 30 minute race.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1468895961' post='24019747
good to hear!

Because you had a large catch can with the filter on top, you had no oil leaks in the engine bay. The valve cover and catch can did the job!

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
When I checked my Saikoumichi cans they where both dry. There was a couple of drops of watery liquid in the front breather can. but PCV can was completely dry.

I reckon I've emptied the can whilst drifting on the hairpin because the amount of blue smoke was enough to get comments from the track marshals.

Both cans are connected to separate ports on the intake tube before the N1200. I think the vac is too strong.

As my cans do not have breathers do you think I should swop them for cans that do?

Just put filters on the saikou michi cans. That is what I did
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 AM

Can you show me what parts are required..... I thought you purchased a custom can from Saikou?

And you don't have your can connect to the intake do you?

Thanks

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification