S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wanted to review this mod.

Last year at Gingerman, I lost 2 quarts of oil. I couldn’t believe it.

Fast forward to to this year. Just came home from gingerman and I didn’t have to add any oil to My car the whole weekend!

I mentioned to my buddies that they will go though at least a quart of oil without this mod and they sure did!

I did did add a catch can as well and about a little less than 1/4 of a quart came out, but that’s pretty common with doing 15 sessions in a weekend.

Thwnks again Dustin!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share how I did my valve cover baffling on my 2007 s2k and also give a big thank you to RAIN H8R for coming up with this awesome mod! I chose slightly different locations for a few of my baffling holes:

As you can see, I did not remove the baffling when I drilled my holes. After drilling the holes, the first thing I did was use a deburring tool to deburr the backside of each hole. I then proceeded to flush out the valve cover religiously. First I rinsed with water and detergent, then performed another flush with hot water, then finally hit all the holes with compressed air and gave things a thorough drying. After each flush I also used a strong magnet around each of the holes to try and grab any lingering swarf. Anyways, just wanted to share my slightly different version of this mod!

Cheers,
T
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is on the fence about this mod, just do it!

The smokescreen problem is a major issue at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos, TX which is the track I frequent the most. Specifically, it happens at Turn 10 which is a tight hairpin and happens with both AP1s and AP2s. Initially when I first started tracking three years ago, it was not an issue but as my skill level increased and I was taking the corner faster, I started to have the smokescreen, the car would lose power and I was burning almost a quart of oil for every two sessions. I told myself I could not keep running this track unless I solve the issue and get the valve cover mod done. Well two weeks ago, I sent Dustin my valve cover a week before my track day. I let him know that I was in a time crunch since was sending him the original valve cover as I did not have a spare to send him. He received the valve cover, performed the mod and had back in the mail within 2 days! That weekend, I was able to get the valve cover on and I made my track day at H2R a few days later. Smokescreen issue gone FTW! And I only burned 1/4 of a quart (if that) of oil through all 3 of the sessions which I would consider to be normal for a tracked car. I highly recommend this mod to anyone who tracks their car and dealing with Dustin was super easy.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally just did this after getting smoke screens in T3 and top of the upper esses at VIR. Like others, I just drilled without removing the baffle plate, used blind deburring tools, magnets, and lots of washing out.

My car is an AP1 - solved all smoke issues at the track this past weekend and my oil burn was significantly reduced - basically non-existent.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I had dustin (rain h8r) do mine. I haven’t done enough after testing but there’s definitely no/less smoke on track, still need to rig up a bracket to mount a catch can where I want to put it also
Old 05-21-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by T da B
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share how I did my valve cover baffling on my 2007 s2k and also give a big thank you to RAIN H8R for coming up with this awesome mod! I chose slightly different locations for a few of my baffling holes:

As you can see, I did not remove the baffling when I drilled my holes. After drilling the holes, the first thing I did was use a deburring tool to deburr the backside of each hole. I then proceeded to flush out the valve cover religiously. First I rinsed with water and detergent, then performed another flush with hot water, then finally hit all the holes with compressed air and gave things a thorough drying. After each flush I also used a strong magnet around each of the holes to try and grab any lingering swarf. Anyways, just wanted to share my slightly different version of this mod!

Cheers,
T
When you mention flushing with hot water are you putting it under the faucet or pouring water over it and into the holes?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

2020 bump. & valve covers getting done this week!

Thank you to everyone for sharing the knowledge with others. Every track I goto, if i speak with any S2000 ownes they know about this thread.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

cant wait for mine to come!
Old 06-14-2020, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you recommend this mod for oil consumption when not driving your car on track?

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification