S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Raking the S2000 - An Idea for Putting Down Power

Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Raking the S2000 - An Idea for Putting Down Power

So for years now I have played with my suspension setup and I have tried a myriad of parts and different things but never really got the car where I want it. Right now I run with Custom Urge Speced DFV's 16K front & 12K rear with OEM AP1 Bars, toe links and solid bushings, the car balances within 5lb at each wheel. The car has performed well with this setup but never felt as good as I would like. The turn in is fantastic but I just can't get power down at the apex. My first thought was to try a 1.5 way differential but driving my wifes Porsche at the last event it hit me. Why not rake the car a bit, shift a 100# from the front to rear. Knowing the turn in is amazing and Porsche needs to be trail braked into the corner maybe this will help a bit. I figured I would ask and see if anyone else has tried this out and if not I might reconfigure this winter and give it a shot.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Raking the car won't shift F/R weight much if at all. Cross weights are adjustable, but left/right and front/rear balance are a function of c.g. location, wheelbase, and track, i.e. they're essentially fixed unless you move masses around.
The following users liked this post:
DavidNJ (11-13-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Run wider tires in the rear. This will maintain your turn in, but increase the traction envelope to rear and allow you to get on the gas sooner. It will mimic more a Porsche on corner entry with some more tendency to effective stable trail breaking.

Lowering the ride height in the rear, will remove some of your turn in response, but it will make the car more planted/stable in rear under breaking and turn in, especially if you dont run a wing.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-11-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you should probably mention the kind of power you're making
Old 11-11-2017, 07:15 PM

To elaborate the car makes Stock power, 190WHP at best. I run 245's at all corners as it is a TT car. I run the car slick with no areo. Biggest compaint about the car is the ability to put down power off thw apex, maybe better weight transfer is needed with a more advanced damper, as I mentioned earlier the diff?????

Great point on the weight distribution there will be a minor difference with a rake but it would take many inch's to see a big change.

Also good point on the braking stability, the car does tend to dance a bit in heavy breaking, nothing bad but more stability would be a nice bonus.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you considered playing with the swaybars? I run a very similar spring stagger as you but my front swaybar is much stiffer and my rear much softer. My car is also about a quarter of an inch lower in the rear than the front.
I've never had issues putting down power, what tracks are you running?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Have you considered playing with the swaybars? I run a very similar spring stagger as you but my front swaybar is much stiffer and my rear much softer. My car is also about a quarter of an inch lower in the rear than the front.
I've never had issues putting down power, what tracks are you running?
What he said. A larger front bar and/or a smaller rear bar will allow the rear tires to stay more planted. I run a Gendron Monster bar up front and a stock bar in back and it doesn't make the car pushy. Many folks run a small Miata bar in back. When I drove a 240sx with a helical diff (that's what the S2K has) the best combination of cornering and forward traction was with no rear bar. Go by times and not feel. My 240sx felt a little sloppy in the rear without a bar, but it would leap out of the turns and went faster than with a rear bar.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the input!

Since I have been trying to keep the car in TTC I have had to remove my bars. In the past I ran a Eibach, Moddiction, AP2 rear....... With TTC most likely going away I will probably put the Moddiction and AP2 rear back if they settle on TT5.

I do think I am going to check my ride height and ensure it is level and if so then add 3/8" to a 1/2" in the front first.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I run 1/2" rake...feels good
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you should consider fixing your wacky spring rates so that you don't need to run a huge rear bar before you start playing with rake.

Quick Reply: Raking the S2000 - An Idea for Putting Down Power