S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Raking the S2000 - An Idea for Putting Down Power

Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
That spreadsheet looks interesting
Nothing special, most of the work was done by Rob I just applied a myriad of spring rates, swaybars......

Originally Posted by ViperASR
The very strong rumor is that TTC is going away for TT4/5 next year. My advice would be to get sway bars to fix the issue and not worry about points.
TTC is going to end up split across TT4 and TT5, with the idea of TTD cars being able to slot into TT5.
Exactly, I am waiting to see what will happen. I actually purchased another car for next season that I plan to run in other venues and plan to modify and shake down the car based on the new rule set.

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I'm confused, do you take a points hit by changing the stock rear sway bar or removing it? A 16k/12k spring stagger on the S2000 gives ride frequencies of roughly 2.03 Hz front and 1.72 Hz rear (depending on the motion ratio you use; there are a few different numbers floating around for the S2000). Your front frequency is 18% higher than the rear, which is completely backwards from what it should be. The general rule of thumb is to shoot for rear frequency 10% higher than front because the rear needs to respond faster than the front in order for all first-order suspension movements to resolve at roughly the same time after hitting a bump.
A front to rear split is needed to avoid pitch but I an unsure what the implications of a higher front or rear frequency might have. Since the weight distribution of the S2K is 50/50 there would in theory need to be at least 10% difference in the spring rates. Based on my experience more rear spring makes the car very loose car.

Originally Posted by robrob
I tried a little rake in my car and it definitely liked having the rear as low as possible. Every time I raised the rear ride height I lost lap time.
Thank you for chiming in and as always all the time and effort you take to publish all the information you do! If you are ever in the midwest hit me up and I am buying the beers & bbq!

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
What turns at what tracks are you having issues putting power down? Are you waiting on the nose? Wheelspin?
High speed, low speed..... unfortunately I don't have many tracks with elevation changes so I can speak only to flat tracks. As I mentioned previously I am MUCH later on power than the P-Cars and this made me start questioning my setup. If I do come on to power early the rear gets loose,

Originally Posted by Jimbo_STWOK
I had the same issues on corner exit. Vtec Crossover didn't help either, but what did help me the most was disconnecting the rear sway entirely. I recently switched to a higher sprung setup from my Ohlins and it only got better. I feel it's more of a ratio f/r than a largr lbs/in game.
Excellent to know, we will see what the rules will allow next season.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Nothing special, most of the work was done by Rob I just applied a myriad of spring rates, swaybars......
A front to rear split is needed to avoid pitch but I an unsure what the implications of a higher front or rear frequency might have. Since the weight distribution of the S2K is 50/50 there would in theory need to be at least 10% difference in the spring rates. Based on my experience more rear spring makes the car very loose car.
The calculated ride rate already takes into account weight distribution. The reason you go higher in the rear in order to avoid pitch is because the rear has less time to complete a motion than the front (the front gets a head start since it hits the bump first).

Yes, more rear ride rate will make the car loose, but only if you continue to run a stiff rear bar, and the AP1 bar is very stiff. Running less or no bar will help your power-on traction issues plus give you the benefit of being able to run stiffer springs in the rear and improve the pitch problem caused by your current ride rates.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
High speed, low speed..... unfortunately I don't have many tracks with elevation changes so I can speak only to flat tracks. As I mentioned previously I am MUCH later on power than the P-Cars and this made me start questioning my setup. If I do come on to power early the rear gets loose,
If you want help we'll need specifics.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So uh, maybe this is a dumb question but what is your rear toe set at?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
If you want help we'll need specifics.
If I had to pick on instance that I struggle the most it is long sweeping turns, steady state, at high G such as a carousel. I have to be extremely patient to get on the throttle or the rear will step right out. Speeds in these turns are in the range of 50-80 MPH and the higher the speed the quicker it will let go.

Originally Posted by cahooa
So uh, maybe this is a dumb question but what is your rear toe set at?
I have tried several setting all with toe-in at the rear. Here are a few I have tried at the same track.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not the best driver by any means, but you can see what it looks like to put the power down on a car set up from the start to be balanced with no rear sway bar, through a 3rd-gear carousel, starting at the 0:15 point of this video. I'm full throttle before the apex and the car is rock steady. I've only found one faster street-car HDPE S2000 lap on Youtube (below), you can see how little I fought the car to do my lap, and predictive lap times from that session are 2 seconds faster than this, so you can see that a good driver would be even quicker. You can also see how well the car puts power down in second gear corners later in the lap.

For reference, I have 36 whp more than you, less-aggressive tires, and the same shocks as you with rates that are admittedly too soft (10/12). I run the shocks at the same setting front and rear. No need to soften the rear.

Here's a vastly more hard-core but still kind-of "streetable" S2000 (Trackspec Autosports showcase vehicle) working quite a bit harder to go a tenth or two faster: