S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Random helmet questions

Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Random helmet questions

I'm fairly new to tracking so forgive me if these questions are dumb.

Is an SA2010 helmet approved for use DURING the 2020 season or does it need to be replaced PRIOR to the season? Does it change depending on the organizer?

When do the helmets with the newest ratings come out? Will the SA2020 helmets start appearing prior to the season like new car models? Or later on? I'd like to avoid buying a 2015 helmet if the 2020 will be out soon after.

Do you feel like spending significantly more money on a much nicer helmet is worth it in my case (as opposed to a $150ish one)? I'm running a mostly stock car with stock seats/belts and a rollbar. The car is street driven, though the amount of street driving is seeing a steady decline.

I could see seats/harnesses/HANS at some point in the future - Probably a couple years from now. Am I getting more safety with a more expensive helmet, or is it more about getting lighter materials and higher general build quality? Something else i should be looking for/at?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Most organizations won't have a problem with the 2010 helmet even after 2020. I know NASA enforces the 10 year rule, but the smaller orgs around me don't care if it has a SA rating.

I would recommend getting at least a SA2015 so you can get the HANS posts pre-installed. For SA2010 you have to drill yourself. No idea on release schedules for 2020.

I bought my new helmet from Murray Motorsports. It is much more comfortable than the cheap Amazon ones. They felt like they were squeezing my forehead and sometimes gave me a headache. My new OMP fits my head perfectly and is much lighter too.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
Most organizations won't have a problem with the 2010 helmet even after 2020. I know NASA enforces the 10 year rule, but the smaller orgs around me don't care if it has a SA rating.

I would recommend getting at least a SA2015 so you can get the HANS posts pre-installed. For SA2010 you have to drill yourself. No idea on release schedules for 2020.

I bought my new helmet from Murray Motorsports. It is much more comfortable than the cheap Amazon ones. They felt like they were squeezing my forehead and sometimes gave me a headache. My new OMP fits my head perfectly and is much lighter too.
I do run with NASA sometimes, so I'm planning on replacing my helmet. Just wasn't sure if I could run next year with my SA2010. So I will for sure be getting at least SA2015.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

The HJC AR10 is nice middle of the road helmet IMHO.

I got a new Arai (it's what I always wore when on 2 wheels) as a gift last year from someone who REALLY cares about me.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by freq
The HJC AR10 is nice middle of the road helmet IMHO.

I got a new Arai (it's what I always wore when on 2 wheels) as a gift last year from someone who REALLY cares about me.
It's funny you mention HJC. I've been using HJC for the last 17 years racing/riding/driving fourwheelers, dirt bikes, motorcycles and now cars. I've always felt like they were good bang for the buck, and their medium sized helmets have always fit my head like they were molded to it. Given a choice between similarly priced helmets, I would likely go with HJC.

As for the Arai, maybe it's time to talk to the wife about how much she loves me.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

In theory, you can get 10 years out of a helmet with most track day groups. So you should be OK with a SA2010 until the SA2020s come out. You probably couldn't find a new SA2010 now if you wanted to.

If I recall, the SA2015s were delayed by about a year. I needed to replace my helmet when the SA2015s came out. But I bought an older SA2010 model. It was about half the price because it older inventory and was about to be discontinued.

I don't usually wear a head sock and I found that after 5 years the liner in my helmets get rather ripe. So no sense spending extra money on the latest helmet that will only last 5 years. I use one of the Bell Sport helmets.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, a nomex balaclava is an excellent way to preserve the helmet liner and a nice piece of safety equipment. They're cheap too.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into the balaclava - haven't even thought about that before. I did email the head guy as NASA northeast, and he said as far as he knows, SA2010 will be good through the 2020 season.

I guess I'll hold off and either get a SA2020 when they become available or get a good deal on a 2015.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Yes, a nomex balaclava is an excellent way to preserve the helmet liner and a nice piece of safety equipment. They're cheap too.
Some helmets also let you remove all the padding for washing. Mine is all vecro'ed in, so I generally put it through the wash a couple of times a season. That plus a wipe down of the interior with a damp cloth and a bit of unscented soap and the thing smells good as new again.

To the OP, my understanding is that all helmets that meet a given standard should be effectively the same as far as safety, as long as you get one that fits you well. More expensive helmets will generally be lighter and may have more features, like additional vents, Pinlock compatibility, air hookup, radio, etc.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
To the OP, my understanding is that all helmets that meet a given standard should be effectively the same as far as safety, as long as you get one that fits you well. More expensive helmets will generally be lighter and may have more features, like additional vents, Pinlock compatibility, air hookup, radio, etc.
Thanks. That was my suspicion, since they will all be rated the same. I don't really have a use for extra features yet except for maybe better venting. I'm also not that concerned about weight as long as it's not a boat anchor. Sounds like a mid-grade helmet is in my future.

Quick Reply: Random helmet questions