S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rear toe settings for AP1

Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
This is for a street and HPDE car on stock like tires.

Thanking about .2* per rear wheel, or .4 degrees total.

What do you think?
Seems a little much, get a rear bump steer kit set it at .24 total if your a novice then go to .20 total once you become a better driver and see how you like that.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I've played with toe settings and I've found between .2-.3 degrees toe-in at each wheel is the ideal range(which is about where the factory service manual recommends), and the higher the static rear camber you run the more you want your toe to be towards the high side of the range. I've verified this by measuring tire temperatures and tire pressures with various settings. I have access to an alignment rack, and have done a lot of alignments to the car. Usually before and after an event and everywhere in between. After .3 degrees you quickly start getting diminishing returns, and after .35 you actually start negatively affecting handling.
X2 I think this makes the most sense.

I have mine at .21 total .42

But again I don't have much experience on the track to say what works best.

But i'm also pretty sure that AP2 toe in should be different to AP1 toe in due to redesigned rear. So when you read a bunch of peoples settings, make sure it applies.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Please remind me what the US spec rear toe setting is

Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

FSM states between .18 - .35 toe in
Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For 25% track I'd stay within the factory spec. Too agressive and you wearing rears faster than necessary for a mostly street car.

If you don't care about that then the specs listed above will work. However testing for yourself seems to work the best. What I may like could not be the same as what your comfortable with.

With that being said here is what I ran prior to coilovers.

Front -3
Castor 6.5

Rear -3
Toe 1/8th total.

With coils and more seat time I'm most comfortable with:

Front -3.3
Castor 7.5

Rear -3
Toe 1/8th total.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I think some people are confusing inches and degrees. The factory spec is .24" total + or - .08"

That is inches.

Your suggestion of .4 degrees total is about .17 inches which is actually at the lower end of the "spec". I think that is a good place to start. I run .18 degrees per side.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I've run a wide range of toe settings on the street and track with my stock AP1. In my experience, more toe sucks, bad, for everything. I initially tried 0.64 degrees total based on suggestions from this site for a little-to-no tire stagger AP1. Tires normally last me 4-5 events, but with that much rear toe the rears were shredded after two. And the handling was not what I would call "stable". A bit nonlinear and weird relative to my 240Z. I was going to have the toe reduced to 0.15 degrees per side, or 0.3 total, but the shop instead gave me 0.15 degrees total rear toe. I was worried that the car was going to be a handful at the track, but in fact the car handled much more predictably and linearly. And rear tire life more than doubled

A lot of toe-in works the rear tires against each other, a very poor utilization of the rear tires. And in traction-challenged variable-grip conditions, the car can be very unstable with a lot of rear toe. If one rear tire loses grip, the other rear pushes the car over. Been there done that at speed in the rain at Mont Tremblant. not fun... Also, you can get quite a bit of push on corner entry. BAsically, my experience was that the car never wanted to go in a straight line, but perversely it didn't want to turn in at corner entry!

I've never had any problems running minimal rear toe, always had problems running a lot. 0.2 degrees total works great for me. I would recommend strongly against anything over ~0.4 degrees total. Waste of tire, weird handling.

That has been my experience in the stock AP1.

On the Z and the 500+hp FD, I also run in the 0.1-0.2 degree total rear toe range. Originally the Z was stuck with ~0.7 degrees total, but adjustable eccentric rear control arm bushings fixed that and it was HUGELY beneficial to driving enjoyment and lap times.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to think that alignment and tire pressure should be used to maximize tire usage. Tire temps will show if you are using the entire tire evenly.

Tune handling balance with ARB and/or spring choice, or weight ballast if you are lucky enough.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is what we came up with...

I have only driven the car a short time, but the difference is noticeable. It seems to have more tendancy to rotate under power. The back end seems more lively. I have yet to bring it to the track, so we will need to wait for a full report.

I hope I did not make a mistake with the Toe...

Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Your rear Toe is fine don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Rear toe settings for AP1