S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Replace stock calipers vs. rebuild

Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Not to keep stroking PowerStop but I got their red powdercoated remanufactured calipers just for some color and because WTF not, and the powdercoat has held up VERY well.
Ditto.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I rebuilt all 4 calipers about 5 years ago and found that everything was pretty easy except for those bastard dust boots, which were damn near impossible to re-install. There might have been one or two where I didn't get them fully seated or just gave up entirely. Luckily on a track car, the dust boots tend to burn off anyway, so I wasn't terribly concerned. Not sure if I would bother rebuilding if I had to do it again, but it was interesting shade-tree mechanic experience to see how the calipers fit together and function.

Edit, if you do rebuild, you can easily blow the piston out of the caliper body by pressing a compressor hose against the brake line fitting and giving it a blast. Saves a lot of trouble. *THUNK*
Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to keep stroking PowerStop but I got their red powdercoated remanufactured calipers just for some color and because WTF not, and the powdercoat has held up VERY well.
i talked to a powerstop rep at gridlife and asked if there "performance red" caliper was anything special over the standard remans. i dont recall exactly what he said but basically they use higher quality parts for the rebuild and the dust boots i believ can withstand higher temps before falling apart
Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
i talked to a powerstop rep at gridlife and asked if there "performance red" caliper was anything special over the standard remans. i dont recall exactly what he said but basically they use higher quality parts for the rebuild and the dust boots i believ can withstand higher temps before falling apart
While that may be true, I was a little let down when the powdercoated remans I got from PowerStop through RockAuto were NOT Nissins but, they have served me well regardless.

That's good to hear if true though.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt my oem rear calipers last summer. The job is pretty easy if your good at mechanic work. I preferred to rebuild since all the remanufactured versions were not Nissins and I prefer OEM quality rubber seals and boots. You don't know what quality the remanufactured ones are. I opted out of the Powerstop ones since I didn't want the flashy red calipers and prefer subtle stock appearance if I also ever sell the car.

The only hard part is putting the dust boot back on. It helps to have another set of hands, I couldn't do it by myself trying to hold the piston and boot while placing in groove. I was able to properly set all the dust boots so it is doable.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Were you able to use OEM pads with the red PowerStop? I have a set of calipers on order but didn't order pads.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just rebuilt mine. Trick for the dust boot is I cut a thin plate insert the same height as the piston and about 1/2 longer than the diameter and inserted that into the boot once installed and snuck the piston in then removed the insert and bam! Done.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Were you able to use OEM pads with the red PowerStop? I have a set of calipers on order but didn't order pads.
Yes.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 AM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Yes.
Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

@freq are these the Power Stop's you're referring to?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

Curious how much better the Raybestos versions are...

Quick Reply: Replace stock calipers vs. rebuild