S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Replacing (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/replacing-84655/)

unregistered 10-05-2002 05:29 AM

Replacing

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the rear swaybar on a 2000 or 2001 S2K with one from a 2002, in order to reduce oversteer (for those who have not experienced this condition or do not consider it exists, please leave the topic to those for whom it is an issue) while keeping the front stock?

Alternatively, even though you may not have done this mod, what are your thoughts on the matter ?

Admittedly, the most obvious, as well as the SCCA stock-class autocross legal, modification is to increase the stiffness of the front swaybar, but reducing the rear stiffness would have effects along the same lines.

Here are the advantages that I see:

cdelena 10-05-2002 05:45 AM

Reducing the rear bar would allow more body roll in the front (to go with the unacceptable amount in the rear), probably impacting turn in and responsiveness. Won't know until you try it, but intuitively I would say it is a poor bet.

pll 10-05-2002 06:23 AM

Like cdelena mentions, when you decrease the total roll stiffness of the car (say by using a smaller rear roll bar), you decrease the turn-in response. Lowering roll stiffness also decreases the cars rough road tracking ability. So, I think your best bet is to get a stiffer front roll bar. How did the '02 spring rates change?

unregistered 10-05-2002 10:55 AM

I believe that for '02 the spring rates have increased and the bar stiffnessess have decreased, though I know of no hard numbers.

I understand what you are saying about turn-in and I had in fact considered it as one of the compromises that would accompany the decrease in looseness I am seeking. But of course it's the cost/benefit ratio which unclear in this hypothesis.:(

Pierre

frayed 10-05-2002 06:03 PM

Turn-in response is more a function of compression damping than roll stiffness IMO. I've found more of a difference in turn in characteristics by adjusting bump than by mild spring/sway changes.

But yeah, more balance and predictablity at the limit = faster, more consitent lap times.

ultimate lurker 10-05-2002 10:20 PM

Actually, stiffer bars tend to reduce the ability to handle bumpy corners well. The stiffer the swaybar, the less independent the suspension is over one wheel bumps.

I'm not saying that going softer on the rear is better, but if the bar is cheap (<$100) it might be interesting to try it. However, when setting up most production cars for race duty, you usually want to increase roll stiffness.

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pll
[B]Lowering roll stiffness also decreases the cars rough road tracking ability.

pll 10-06-2002 05:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]Actually, stiffer bars tend to reduce the ability to handle bumpy corners well.

frayed 10-06-2002 05:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]Actually, stiffer bars tend to reduce the ability to handle bumpy corners well.

SR71BB 10-07-2002 04:16 AM

I broke an endlink on my front bar, so I tried disconnecting the rear bar to compensate. Wallow like a pig, it does. But, and this is a big issue with me, the car was still quick, and the inside rear did not lift and spin like it typically does. Turn-in was slow, but you could anticipate it. I was amazed how much grip the car generated and how well balanced it was. Personally, I think the lighter rear bar would be an excellent choice.

ultimate lurker 10-07-2002 09:05 AM

pll, could you post the quote from Milliken that says more bar is good for rough road tracking? I don't recall anything like that in the book.

Frayed, I've gone the same way on the CRX, except that I've removed the front bar and gone with much stiffer springs. But more roll stiffness, however, you get it (spring or bar) is usually desireable for track duty.

UL