S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Review of Cobalt Friction Brake Pads (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/review-cobalt-friction-brake-pads-1192292/)

bgoetz 03-05-2019 04:32 PM

Review of Cobalt Friction Brake Pads

Hey guys, I have been using Cobalt Friction pads for a bit now and wanted to followup with a review of their pads. I have tried a few different brands and these are by far my favorite. I run the XR-2 on both front and rear although I have a BBK so maybe an XR-2/3 combo may be better for OEM. what I like:

They wear well. I put over 22hrs total on my set last season before they were done. I do have a BBK with a wider annulus pad, but regardless they wear great.

You can just just toss them on and go. This is my favorite feature, they are compatible with other pads. I can go from street pads to their pads, bed them in a few laps and am good for the weekend

They are actually not terrible on the street. I left them on for a bit because I was too lazy to swap them out, they are noisy but not over the top.

The dust just comes right off with minimal effort and does not eat wheels.

Andie is an awesome guy. You can call and speak directly to him and he is more than happy to share his experience with pads. He makes my rears custom to fit my urge rotors and doesn’t charge a dime extra.

oh yeah, they work great, by far my favorite pad over what I have used!

If you are looking for a pad to try and haven’t given them a shot consider trying their pads.

roel03 03-05-2019 04:38 PM

Another forum member just told me he runs these same pads, what do they usually cost for BBK front and stock rear?

bgoetz 03-05-2019 04:42 PM

I just bought some for my AP BBK and it was $400

BlueBarchetta 03-05-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by roel03 (Post 24573908)
Another forum member just told me he runs these same pads, what do they usually cost for BBK front and stock rear?

the same guy told both of you about them, lol

ncrx 03-05-2019 10:34 PM

i run xr2/xr3 with the larger hpd fitment in the stock front caliper and like them too. and yes andie is great

Dead Serious 03-06-2019 01:39 AM

I find initial bite to be very high. I had to learn to have a more gentle foot to prevent lock up. Stoptech XR2. I love them.

twohoos 03-06-2019 10:15 AM

I loved Cobalts back in the day (2004-11). I personally love the aggressive initial bite, but if it's not your style, they have many different compounds available. Agree Andie's very helpful - sent me a free replacement set of pads when I overstressed the fronts at Cal Speedway one time**.

Glad to hear they're still doing good things.

** Car+driver was 3000lbs and I leaned way too heavily on ABS several laps in a row when braking from ~130 to ~60. Even so, the pads never faded or showed any sign of anything amiss until I took them off the next day, when one corner of an outside front pad crumbled off of the backing plate! Even better - I kept that pad as a backup (#yesI'mjustthatcheap), and actually used it again at a lower-speed track and it was fine!

Dead Serious 03-07-2019 01:36 AM

Yes, and should note they are riveted so you cant run em down to the backing plates. Bonded Hawks or Carbotech are good to the last drop.