S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross: How Does RE71r Performance Change Over Time

Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Autocross: How Does RE71r Performance Change Over Time

Many race tires are best brand new or after a short scrub in. F1 qualifying is on new tires that have lost enough from one lap that a second lap is rarely attempted. The races themselves are exercises in tire conservation, with pit stops being carefully timed based on tire degradation. In some forms of racing racing uses a durometer tester to determine if their tires are hardening.

In autocrossing, tires are often used until they wear out. My question is: how much, if any, performance is lost as the tires wear out. If running a set for 10 events, would a new set be faster for the 11th event or is the worn set, which presumably would also be lighter from lost rubber, If the worn set is faster, would a shaved new set be even faster?

Has any one tested worn tires vs. new tires?

Thanks,

David
Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For someone as experienced as yourself, you sure do ask a lot of silly questions...
Old 08-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why doesn't F1 run worn tires for qualifying?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
For someone as experienced as yourself, you sure do ask a lot of silly questions...
If you think it is silly, just answer it. I don't ask a question unless it has come up and has either ambiguous or conflicting answers. My experience says a new tire should be better. However, I've heard conflicting opinion from others more experienced than me and TTBMK no one is shaving RE71r tires. Note that the A6/A7 come with 4/32nds of thread and the RE71r and Rival S have 7/32nds, the minimum to meet the rules. I haven't heard of anyone ordering them shaved.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
If you think it is silly, just answer it. I don't ask a question unless it has come up and has either ambiguous or conflicting answers. My experience says a new tire should be better. However, I've heard conflicting opinion from others more experienced than me and TTBMK no one is shaving RE71r tires. Note that the A6/A7 come with 4/32nds of thread and the RE71r and Rival S have 7/32nds, the minimum to meet the rules. I haven't heard of anyone ordering them shaved.
I know one person with shaved RE-71r tires for Nationals. I don't think they have been tested yet. Something about a broken transmission.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robinson
I know one person with shaved RE-71r tires for Nationals. I don't think they have been tested yet. Something about a broken transmission.
Way more people than just him are bringing a shaved set.
I know at least one BridgeStone contract driver has a shaved set for nats. Per their testing it doesn't seem to be any faster, but the feel is better.

Some testing has shown the RE71R to be competitive until they cord. Will they be pointy end competitive, probably not. But not many of us are pointy end drivers anyway.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Its highly variable across tires and compounds.

My RS3's (v1) back in the day were awesome to the last drop. I was at an event and literally felt on my afternoon runs that the grip just started going away ... looked and the fronts were nearly slicks Before that they felt great.

My Z2 Star Specs I just took off the car started feeling like grip was dropping off quickly and they are just barely to the wear bars. Seemed like the Z2 non star specs I had last season made it further and still felt better.

I hear the RE-71R's are pretty much good to the last bit of tread, but are best until a bit before that. I also hear like others have mentioned that shaving them does not make them faster but provides better feel. Of course, if that makes a certain driver faster, then that is faster.

I have only had a bit of street driving (I dont drive the S every day .. more like once a week plus some on the weekends) and one practice event at which my co driver and I probably only got about 30 runs total, if that. We really didnt spend a lot of time in the car that day compared to most practice events. So I dont have any data personally yet.

I know a lot of people I knew that ran the "pixie dust" tires (195 Toyo's) before they were excluded on the Civics that were shaving them for the big tour events and seemed to like them better that way.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Massive disagree here.

The RS-3 V1s were dead the moment their shoulder went bald regardless of the tread through the center. Without the shoulders in the rear, the car would become tail happy. I could tell visually by the bald shoulders, and anecdotally because of the suspension adjustments required to tame the car. As they cycled out they also took more and more heat to soften up the significantly harder rubber.

The RS-3V2s and Z2s both show marginally harder on the durometer when they are dead. I don't have a hard run number and they don't get nasty but they do get slow.

I've only killed one set of RE-71s. Thirty autocross runs plus a single lapping day at CotA killed them on two fronts: 1) bald shoulders and beveled center rib 2) 3-5 points harder on the durometer. I tried the bald shoulders on both outside and inside to no avail. I swapped to stickers and the finicky understeer/oversteer disappeared.
These are dead:
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 PM

I'm afraid I may be 1 or 2 events short on my tires. There are still 7 more events on the schedule and I'm sharing the car with my wife...so that could be 70+ runs. We've run two events since I've flipped the fronts.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Massive disagree here.

The RS-3 V1s were dead the moment their shoulder went bald regardless of the tread through the center. Without the shoulders in the rear, the car would become tail happy. I could tell visually by the bald shoulders, and anecdotally because of the suspension adjustments required to tame the car. As they cycled out they also took more and more heat to soften up the significantly harder rubber.

The RS-3V2s and Z2s both show marginally harder on the durometer when they are dead. I don't have a hard run number and they don't get nasty but they do get slow.

I've only killed one set of RE-71s. Thirty autocross runs plus a single lapping day at CotA killed them on two fronts: 1) bald shoulders and beveled center rib 2) 3-5 points harder on the durometer. I tried the bald shoulders on both outside and inside to no avail. I swapped to stickers and the finicky understeer/oversteer disappeared.
These are dead:
You can disagree if you want but that does not change my experience. Keep in mind that was on a different car (FWD with -3 deg of camber up front), but me and my co driver found that the RS3 V1 were awesome down to the last. So did about 20 others in our local club with them that year. Regardless of when the shoulders got to the point they would not hold up, the middle of my tread was almost gone at the point the grip fell off sharply.

Quick Reply: Autocross: How Does RE71r Performance Change Over Time