S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which ROLL BAR options do I choose? What are they for?

Old 04-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ROLL BAR options do I choose? What are they for?

Hello,

I am purchasing the HARD DOG roll bar for my first track day in my s2000. I see there is the intial roll bar and so many different options. Which do I get? I want to keep the soft top, and be able to mount a seat belt. In the future, I will go 6 point harness etc. Is it possible to keep seatbelt and harness?

1. What is the point of the diagnols? What is the benefit of having double diagnols?
2. What are the shoulder harness guide brackets?
3. What is the bulkhead replacement bar?
4. What is the purpose of a welded diagnol?
5. What about a welded lower harness bar

I want to buy from here

https://speedfreaksusa.com/i-1392348...-roll-bar.html

Can I just get the setup as is for my needs?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ca86108
Hello,

I am purchasing the HARD DOG roll bar for my first track day in my s2000. I see there is the intial roll bar and so many different options. Which do I get? I want to keep the soft top, and be able to mount a seat belt. In the future, I will go 6 point harness etc. Is it possible to keep seatbelt and harness?

1. What is the point of the diagnols? What is the benefit of having double diagnols?
Structural support. Get the double diagonal.

2. What are the shoulder harness guide brackets?
Guides to run the stock seat belts.

3. What is the bulkhead replacement bar?
Replaces the OEM bulkhead bar, which the stock seat belts mount to. Looks much cleaner than the OEM bar.

4. What is the purpose of a welded diagnol?
Get the double diagonal.

5. What about a welded lower harness bar
In order to mount the harnesses, you need a harness bar at the correct location. This is it.

I want to buy from here

https://speedfreaksusa.com/i-1392348...-roll-bar.html

Can I just get the setup as is for my needs?
See responses above. Order straight from their site on Bethania Garage. I would recommend getting a double diagonal, seat belt guides, lower harness bar, and the bulkhead bar. That should be the whole shebang. Soft top works for all of their versions, but the rest of the interior does not.
The following 2 users liked this post by roel03:
ca86108 (04-02-2019), lookstoomuch (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Descriptions and pictures here: Honda S2000 Bar
Old 04-02-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that a lot of it has to do with how you intend to use the car. What are you thinking? track core track dog? daily driver with a little more safety? occasional HPDE?

When I installed my bar, I did not do a seat or harnesses right away, I did not buy the bulkhead replacement bar, and I did reinstall all of my interior trim pieces, cut to fit around the newly installed rollbar. There is a great thread by bugsy on this process that i followed closely.
If you have a track only car and do not want to retain the stock three point belts, you do not need the bulkhead bar, the seatbelt tabs.

As Roel mentioned above, reach out to harddog directly. I`ve emailed the guy a dozen times with questions similar to yours, requests for minor changes to his geometry (which he politely said no to and took the time to explain to me why it was a bad idea), and then install tips/tricks and torque values. He always responds quickly and make my install easier.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
See responses above. Order straight from their site on Bethania Garage. I would recommend getting a double diagonal, seat belt guides, lower harness bar, and the bulkhead bar. That should be the whole shebang. Soft top works for all of their versions, but the rest of the interior does not.

Wow, thanks for the reply. You answered all my questions!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Questions:

--How much of the interior trim can be used with the bar? How much bare metal is exposed?

--What is the reason posters have a preference for diagonals to the rear stays rather than a single diagonal bar? Seat travel?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 PM

This is the cleanest rollbar install I`ve ever seen - including removal of the stock roll hoops:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...ll-bar-851572/

Some people choose to leave the roll hoops in:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...x-pics-848943/

I believe with a single diagonal, you can no longer access the top of the center console. With a double diagonal, use is not impacted.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

When I first did my roll bar install I was super worried about losing the interior, but once you put the center console back in you can't really see anything behind it. I can fit so much more in my car now. I put all my duffle bags behind the roll bar now and tools go in the trunk.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Double diagonal Hard Dog bar user here. Love it. Mine is a track only car so I have no interior rearward of my seats. Great piece, keeps you much more safe.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Anyone weld their bar in. Do you have to remove the gas tank prior to welding? Bethania does not recommend welding it because they think it will simply punch thru the unibody. If anyone has welded theirs in, did you account for that in some way (weld it to larger base plate to distribute the force)?

Quick Reply: Which ROLL BAR options do I choose? What are they for?