S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ballade, Kingpin or Spoon Bushings??

Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballade, Kingpin or Spoon Bushings??

Hello,

I wanted to get your feedback on which bushings to go with. I am thinking of either the Ballade Sport or the Kingpin Spherical bushing or the Spoon hardened bushing which are not spherical. I drive my car 80% on the street and 20% on the track. I run on Penske 8300 with 16kg which I feel are on the limit of performance and comfort on the street. My car is not striped out and has a full interior with a roll bar. I like my interior more on the quiet side. I built my car based on the theory of the GT3 RS that a track car that can still be driven on the street. At the same time I don't want to purchase bushing that go bad within a short period of time and that is unbearable on the street. The Ballade and Spoon Sport are about in the same price range while the King is significantly more expensive. Although pricing is not a main concern, I am looking for the best bushings to suit my needs. Anybody have feedback based on using any of these three. How is it on the street and how is it on the track?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed! Does anyone make a greasable spherical? That’s really what I’d be interested in.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hondajonno
Hello,

I wanted to get your feedback on which bushings to go with. I am thinking of either the Ballade Sport or the Kingpin Spherical bushing or the Spoon hardened bushing which are not spherical. I drive my car 80% on the street and 20% on the track. I run on Penske 8300 with 16kg which I feel are on the limit of performance and comfort on the street. My car is not striped out and has a full interior with a roll bar. I like my interior more on the quiet side. I built my car based on the theory of the GT3 RS that a track car that can still be driven on the street. At the same time I don't want to purchase bushing that go bad within a short period of time and that is unbearable on the street. The Ballade and Spoon Sport are about in the same price range while the King is significantly more expensive. Although pricing is not a main concern, I am looking for the best bushings to suit my needs. Anybody have feedback based on using any of these three. How is it on the street and how is it on the track?

Thanks!
Both Kingpin and Ballade sports spherical kits are great, we have installed and sold a handful of the ballade spherical kits and have had zero noise or ride quality issues. In fact they have a little smoother ride as you will eliminate the bushing bind. The only thing we like more about the Ballade spherical kit is 1. Its more affordable 2. If you happen to bend a control arm you cant press out the kingpin bushings and re install them on a new set of control arms. Not even sure you will be able to get just one replacement arm, but I could be wrong. With the Ballade kit you can easily swap your bushings to the replacement control arm. Also replacement parts are very easy to get as they are made in Southern California. Feel free to drop us PM if you have any further questions regarding the kit.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's an article on the Kingpin setup:
Project S2000: Part 21 - Getting Rid of Squish > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Big thread with impressions from various people:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...nsion-1101169/
Old 10-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm guessing you can swap the Kingpins to new arms, but you would have to machine the new control arm, so yes it would be more complicated.

I like my Kingpins. I have maybe 20,000 miles on them. They occasionally need a squirt of teflon lube but when they're lubed up they ride smoother than stock bushings except for sharp impacts like freeway dots or train tracks.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I'm guessing you can swap the Kingpins to new arms, but you would have to machine the new control arm, so yes it would be more complicated.

I like my Kingpins. I have maybe 20,000 miles on them. They occasionally need a squirt of teflon lube but when they're lubed up they ride smoother than stock bushings except for sharp impacts like freeway dots or train tracks.
Wow, 20k miles?! I'm sold!

Update: just went through the thread from BT, man these are so tempting! I've been thinking about getting all the bushings swapped out too. My AP2 has about 107k on it.

Last edited by manystyles; 10-25-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain

how would you press the bushing out when the outer portion of the bushing is welded to the control arm
Old 10-27-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can get one arm done or redone if you needed a replacement from damage to the arm in my experience Kingpin and in turn Blacktrax stand behind their product 100%. Jei was more than helpful at answering any questions I had when I ordered all my Kingpin stuff for the race car. That being said the OP wanted opinions, I've had numerous bushings over the years in half a dozen different track/race cars, some spherical some poly, some stock. Of all these i'd have to say that the kingpin's take the cake, the s2000 is currently the second car i've had the KP treatment on and it didn't take much to sell me on the full boat kit after talking to Jei at blacktrax.
If you are looking for street comfort and performance...sphericals in general are probably not for you but to each their own. I have issues with the other sphericals on the market in the lack of tolerances they are held too and some might end up tighter, looser, what have you. Tolerance stack up can be a very real thing and when you are looking for the ultimate in consistency these other brands don't hold a candle to the precise fit and craftmanship that's put into a kingpin set. Costs may put them out of reach for some...but you definitely get what you pay for in this industry especially when you are paying for machining costs and the complete OCDness that it takes to get these arms right.