S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/rs-3-vs-z1ss-vs-595-rs-r-vs-re-11-vs-z2-vs-rivals-839178/)

takchi 08-18-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by gernby (Post 20890241)

Originally Posted by AP1Chris' timestamp='1313676397' post='20889976
I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys since this seems the thread to be in for the RS3's. Anyways, I have a fairly stock '00 with just Eibach Pro Kit springs. It is not my daily driver, in fact I've only put about 4K miles on it since I bought it in 01/2009. Anyways, I need some new tires for the stock AP1 wheels. I was leaning towards the Hankook V12's but, then I started seeing the RS3 for not much more. I can get the V12's for $435 delivered and the RS3's for around $500 delivered. The S is just my fun weekend car and I currently do not compete in AutoX or drive on any tracks. I don't care about road noise, but would like the tires to last more than 5K miles. I don't drive the car in the rain and like I said, its only street driven so its never pushed to the limits. Is the RS3 overkill for someone like me? Would I be just as happy and well served with the V12's?

thanks

Since the RS3's have such a high rolling resistance, you shouldn't use them unless you place a higher priority on grip than you do straight line accelleration and fuel economy. Basically, the RS3's add a lot of load on the engine.

I've driven on Z1SS 255s all around and back to my RS3s 225/255 on OEM wheels. My gas mileage is the same. I definitely don't doubt your data. It does sound like your preference is more towards something you can use for daily use.

mLeach 08-18-2011 09:40 AM

This thread is so full of bullshit, it's amazing. Oh, I forgot, it's the internet.

Gernby 08-18-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by takchi (Post 20890487)
I've driven on Z1SS 255s all around and back to my RS3s 225/255 on OEM wheels. My gas mileage is the same. I definitely don't doubt your data. It does sound like your preference is more towards something you can use for daily use.

I'm not familiar with Z1SS at all. Honestly, it may not be an issue with RS3's as much as that whole class of tires (super ultra max summer performance) compared to "regular" high performance tires like the ones I usually buy for daily driving.

psychoazn 08-18-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Chris (Post 20890459)

Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1313679377' post='20890146
If you're only driving when its dry and only driving a few thousand miles a year, any tire you buy is going to dry out from just sitting around.

Realistically, street driven RS3 with a typical s2k alignment should last for at least 12k miles in the rear, and will likely last 15-20k with a conservative driver. The fronts will go 20-30k, depending on the driver.

What tires are you on now, and do you ever feel they limit your driving in any way? Have they ever broken loose or made noise?

The car is still sitting on the same tires it came with - Riken Raptors up front and BFG GForce Sport in back. I'm guessing anything would be a step up from that setup. They have broken loose in the rear and I do feel they limit my "spirited" driving, they don't inspire alot of confidence.

I'm just wondering for what I do with the car would I notice the extra grip of the RS3's over the V12's? The RS3's aren't much more so if its worth it I don't mind spending the extra money.

Your current tires' lack of grip may be partially due to their age. If you're not driving in rain, then yes, I'd recommend the RS3. A higher limit generally won't hurt you. Please do keep in mind that the V12 makes a lot more noise as they start to break away. It may be better to get the V12, and eventually step up as you get used to better tires.

Originally Posted by gernby (Post 20890483)

Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1313683426' post='20890353
[quote name='gernby' timestamp='1313681519' post='20890241']
Since the RS3's have such a high rolling resistance, you shouldn't use them unless you place a higher priority on grip than you do straight line accelleration and fuel economy. Basically, the RS3's add a lot of load on the engine.

Are you absolutely sure that they add THAT much rolling resistance? Reason I ask is that the huge change isn't manifested in top speeds at our local tracks.

They do have a soft sidewall....

I'm confident in the data I've shown above. They clearly eat up about 5% more torque than the tires I've had before (Sumitomo HTRZ-II and HTRZ-III). Since top speeds on a track are much more about corner exit speed and aerodynamics than anything else, I don't think we could draw any conclusions from them.
[/quote]

We were at ACS this weekend where top speeds are in the 130s. Setups for the most part are documented, and most people are running full data. Even with respect to corner exit speed into the front straight, there is no real difference in top speed, even when factoring in the different tires that are used. (Z1SS, RS3, RE-11, NT01 this particular weekend)

As you stated, it may be just that the entire category of tires have similar rolling resistance, so we simply don't see the difference from the less sticky tires.

I did note that I got better MPG when I dailied on AP1 wheels and tires, but the MPG increase from having my exhaust and tune is more than double the MPG gain from the smaller wheels and narrower tires.

Originally Posted by mLeach (Post 20890744)
This thread is so full of bullshit, it's amazing. Oh, I forgot, it's the internet.

Do we know you?

Originally Posted by gernby (Post 20890894)

Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1313685698' post='20890487

I'm not familiar with Z1SS at all. Honestly, it may not be an issue with RS3's as much as that whole class of tires (super ultra max summer performance) compared to "regular" high performance tires like the ones I usually buy for daily driving.

Totally agree, it could be that most of us here have minimal/zero experience with tires not in tire-rack's "extreme summer" category, myself included.

glagola1 08-18-2011 11:29 AM

I know Mleach. He's pretty cool and smart too. He's a bit of a loose cannon from time to time and that's why we love him. Please excuse his bluntness but he does have somewhat of a point.

psychoazn 08-18-2011 11:37 AM

The content of this thread is strictly my opinion (along with others) with minimal quantifiable data, so I suppose bullshit could be called :p It's also (imo, extremely) biased toward street and track use, rather than AutoX.

I'm neither the fastest nor slowest driver around, but I do drive based on feel and car feedback rather than data and visual cues.

takchi 08-18-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn (Post 20891270)
The content of this thread is strictly my opinion (along with others) with minimal quantifiable data, so I suppose bullshit could be called :p It's also (imo, extremely) biased toward street and track use, rather than AutoX.

I'm neither the fastest nor slowest driver around, but I do drive based on feel and car feedback rather than data and visual cues.

Yea psychoazn is in the middle of the pack just like the rest of us in here. :argh:

IntegraR0064 08-18-2011 01:49 PM

Gernby - First, hankooks require more pressure. I'd recommend 35 PSI-ish for the street. That's definitely a huge part of it. Driving on the tires at 30 psi is like driving on big floppy pillows, so I wouldn't be surprised at your results. The feel that remains after pumping the tires up is probably largely your diameter change.

Second, have you considered that a big part of the higher rolling resistance is simply due to them being a stickier tire? When you add significantly more surface adhesion, like these tires do, you get more rolling resistance. So any other tire with similar traction properties would do the same thing.

Anyway, I don't think anyone in this thread is worried about rolling resistance. It was an interesting discovery to mention and I'm glad you did but now it seems like you're continually recommending people to steer away from them solely for that reason - that is not everyone else's main criteria for choosing a tire, least of all in this thread.

On another note, a little earlier people were talking about wet traction for RE11 vs Star spec - not sure if anyone else saw this month's GRM, but at least for their conditions/test the star specs were significantly faster in the wet.

rjones 08-18-2011 02:06 PM

Did the GRM test include the Toyo R1R? If so how did it do?

I guess the test was on wet performance. What tires did they test? Who won?

I have to start getting GRM.

AP1Chris 08-18-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies and help.

I decided to get the V12's for now. For my needs and skill level the RS3 would probably be overkill. I don't plan on keeping the AP1 wheels on forever anyways so when I upgrade wheels I might try the RS3's at that time. Hopefully the V12's will fit my needs.

thanks again