S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rubbing WASP Brake Cooler Kit on Rotor

Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Rubbing WASP Brake Cooler Kit on Rotor

I just got done with my first track day (this WASP kit was used previously for quite a while with no issue I believe by the previous owner).

I went to do a brake pad and rotor swap as the previous set was at the end of its life; I thought the rubbing noise was from the pads. When I got to the fronts I realized that the rotor was rubbing pretty substantially on the heat shield portion; I'm not really sure what to do as it cannot really be bent or adjusted.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so any solutions? I honestly am thinking about buying a stock heat shield and just cutting it for the brake ducts, I messed around with it for a few hours tonight with no real results. The spots on the actual cooler itself can be modified I think to give clearance, I'm mainly worried about the heat shield. It's already almost through it on the bottom portion.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow. How much clearance does it have to the rotor when cold? Do you figure it's just making contact from rotor expansion when hot, or is the heat warping the wasp shield as well?

As far as what to do, I guess you could just dremel off the bottom where it's rubbing. Easier than swapping the whole thing, and you retain the hypothetically more effective duct path.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

How is the play in the wheel bearing?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

If it's not part of the duct I would just cut it off. Many people run with no dust shields at all and don't have any issues. Cover your balljoints with heat tape just in case.

Are you on stock calipers?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
If it's not part of the duct I would just cut it off. Many people run with no dust shields at all and don't have any issues. Cover your balljoints with heat tape just in case.

Are you on stock calipers?
Yeah I'm on stock calipers. Any suggestion on heat tape?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo
How is the play in the wheel bearing?
Not excessive by any means. I could check it again tonight, I was thinking possibly this could have caused some excessive heat as well if it was bad. But really the damage is already done to my ricer shields.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Wow. How much clearance does it have to the rotor when cold? Do you figure it's just making contact from rotor expansion when hot, or is the heat warping the wasp shield as well?

As far as what to do, I guess you could just dremel off the bottom where it's rubbing. Easier than swapping the whole thing, and you retain the hypothetically more effective duct path.
The shield is already warped, which is insane to me. It makes contact when cold with the rotor basically no matter what I do.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03

^^ this is what I did. I've got aluminum tape wrapped around the dust boots to take care of any radiant heat concerns. I don't really understand why this version of the wasp kit came with a carbon fiber dust shield to begin with. The center duct portion fits really well to the stock rotors and that should be all it needs to be effective.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
^^ this is what I did. I've got aluminum tape wrapped around the dust boots to take care of any radiant heat concerns. I don't really understand why this version of the wasp kit came with a carbon fiber dust shield to begin with. The center duct portion fits really well to the stock rotors and that should be all it needs to be effective.
You run with no dust shield at all and just the ducting on track days with no issue? If so that's probably what I will do; if I cut them it'll end up getting messy I think.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

In the places where you're rubbing I had to hammer the crap out of my stock dust shields so they didn't rub my Sakebomb BBK. I don't think you can do that to the carbon as it will crack.

Cutting them should be easy, just make sure to wear gloves as you'll itch for days.

Quick Reply: Rubbing WASP Brake Cooler Kit on Rotor