S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   s2k best road course setup (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/s2k-best-road-course-setup-243529/)

S2000 Type_S 10-19-2004 06:37 AM

s2k best road course setup

i have a spoon x brace spoon rear tie bar and spoon front strut tower espleir lowering springs and was thinking of adding cusco front and rear sways as well as a js racing upper strut with koni yellows what do yall think its a good setup and are the js racing and cusco spoon mugen front and rear sways worth the money?? just lookin to put together a good setup for the road courses, etc.

KGB 10-19-2004 06:58 AM

I think the consensus is you need a front sway bar to be able to run 225's up front and keep the car balanced. I can't speak from experience, because my car is stock running 205/245's but it is pretty quick as is. Good shocks are worth a second or two on a track, wider rubber will help too.

payneinthe 10-19-2004 07:00 AM

Rule #1 in racing: Make only one change at a time.

When you finally get it on a track (if there's time in your busy show schedule), you'll realize the car handles like a rusted out Tonka truck and you won't have any clue where to start fixing it. The tie bars and cross braces don't noticeably affect the handling.

The Koni yellows are decent replacement shocks if your stock shocks have worn out, but they're awefully soft for a track car. The chances of the car just happening to be neutral after all those changes is roughly on the order of 0.00001%.

If you're intent on making that many changes, start with the shocks first, spend some time tuning them, then if you have a specific problem you can't tune out with the shocks, that's when you can find the swaybar with the right stiffness to balance it out. Or you could get an adjustable swaybar.

Awwww screw it. Whatever looks good will be just fine. Trust me, the judges won't care if it actually works on a track. Just tell them everyone uses it and you'll get your "real racing setup" points.

solo2racer 10-19-2004 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by payneinthe,Oct 19 2004, 10:00 AM
rule 1 in racing make only one change at a time when you finally get it on a track if there's time in your busy show schedule you'll realize the car handles like a rusted out tonka truck and you wont have any clue where to start fixing it the tie bars and cross braces dont noticeably affect the handling the koni yellows are decent replacement shocks if your stock shocks have worn out but theyre awfully soft for a track car the chances of the car just happening to be neutral after all those changes is roughly on the order of 0.00001% if you're intent on making that many changes, start with the shocks first spend some time tuning them, then if you have a specific problem you cant tune out with the shocks, that's when you can find the swaybar with the right stiffness to balance it out or you could get an adjustable swaybar awwww screw it whatever looks good will be just fine trust me the judges wont care if it actually works on a track just tell them everyone uses it and youll get your real racing setup points

Tony -

I've taken the liberty of correcting the punctuation, capitalization, and spacing in your message. It makes it much more readable which it's just one big run-on sentence.

To s2spoon - back in 2nd grade, you were taught how to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and spacing. We'd appreciate if you'd do us the favor of using the skills that have been taught to you.

As for a specific car setup, what are you trying to accomplish? How good a driver are you? Are you interested in a set-up that will be good at the track but will rattle the fillings out of your teeth on the street?

FYI many of us have spent 3-5 years tuning our cars for good handling at the track/autocross. Just bolting parts on the car won't accomplish anything without a plan.

rlaifatt 10-19-2004 07:27 AM

First I would remove all those mods, put back the OEM parts. Most of those have been proven to be of no benefit on the track. OEM is very good as is. Then start with the shocks and springs. The fastest track S2000's run stock or no rear swaybar, no braces or tiebars, stock or stiffer front bar, but good shocks and springs, and lots of suspension and alignment tuning. If something doesn't improve laptimes, it's just unnecessary mass.

S2000 Type_S 10-19-2004 08:11 AM

appreciate all the info :thumbup: but to answer your question im just for now lookin for the best set up for street use cause i havent got the chance to go to the road course. i mean i do drive my car pretty hard and i was just tryin to get a good setup and i know the car is naturally tail happy and i dont know if i have helped it or made it worse mainly i just looked at what others ( i know its wrong) but looked at what others are running and using. as far as the spoon x brace everyone has told me how much of a difference it will make and i mean i donno :banghead: :confused: i mean i figured this would be a get set up for both and so i was told( although i know you cant go off everything you hear) please post back but dont flame. :thumbup:

S2000 Type_S 10-19-2004 08:13 AM

how much stiffer is the car goin to be with these mods i mean im hoping not to bad i mean i dont want it horribly stiff as everyday drive just a good balance in between both. please post back. thanks

payneinthe 10-19-2004 08:19 AM

Honestly, you're asking the wrong crowd. There are folks in this thread even who run 950 lb springs on their daily-driven S2000s all to get that last thousandth at the track. If you just want to know which non-track suspension to get for your street car, you'd get nicer responses in S2000 Talk :-)

Btw, read the "Oversteer is good for you" thread. This is one of those threads...

S2000 Type_S 10-19-2004 08:36 AM

appreciate it. :thumbup:

MadDane 10-19-2004 08:54 AM

:iagree: