Sponsor S2000 Suspension, Brake and Handling Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 suspension and S2000 handling products

Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - RX-8 Caliper Conversion

Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very well laid out!

What advantages does this have over the Wilwood rear setup that also retains the parking brake? The big one I'm seeing is use of an OEM caliper. I'll be in the market for a rear setup soon
Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kfinesse
What advantages does this have over the Wilwood rear setup that also retains the parking brake?
Wilwood calipers are generally pretty terrible.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Whats the rx8 piston size. I know the 7's are smaller
Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
RX8 piston size is larger, I can't remember offhand, which is why there's a bias shift to the rear. The RX7 caliper would be ideal (someone made a similar kit in JDM land w/ RX7 calipers), but I'm going to guess availability is the big problem, whereas rx8 calipers are plentiful.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd like to see a list of all the pad options for the RX-8 rear caliper.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

The price is a little high, but this seems like a fantastic kit. Definitely a common sense option compared to buying oem sized vented rotors and then sanding down your $200 pads to make them fit.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the piston bore is larger, than doesn't the bias shift to the front? Because the normal force exerted by the piston is less as the area is bigger.

I suspect it is biased to the front due to the increase in brake rotor diameter causing a higher braking torque instead of a higher clamp force due to the bore size.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheers!
If the piston bore is larger, than doesn't the bias shift to the front? Because the normal force exerted by the piston is less as the area is bigger.

I suspect it is biased to the front due to the increase in brake rotor diameter causing a higher braking torque instead of a higher clamp force due to the bore size.
Larger piston means same force/in but spread over a larger area = more overall force. You can google the physics.

Larger brake rotor diameter = more brake torque AND larger piston diameter = more brake torque. It's not rocket science as there are online calculators to compare brake bias changes. I crossed this bridge when comparing an rx7 rear caliper and larger rotor setup, but it ultimately just wasn't worth the hassle to me. Some numbers for the lazy in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...cheapo-bbk-fr/

As someone else said, not cheap for a rotor and some brackets but not outrageous either.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kfinesse
Very well laid out!

What advantages does this have over the Wilwood rear setup that also retains the parking brake? The big one I'm seeing is use of an OEM caliper. I'll be in the market for a rear setup soon
Thanks we appreciate it!

For the caliper choice: We explored using the Wilwood caliper (I've got one of their rear slide calipers sitting on the shelf in front of me now). The caliper is WAY more expensive than an RX8 caliper, much much lower quality, but the nail in the coffin was the absolutely terrible pad compound availability (no one makes pads for this thing, especially in anything more than pedestrian compounds) and the pad size is teeny tiny! It was just a bad candidate for lots of reasons, but trust me we looked into using this thing. The RX8 caliper is leaps and bounds beyond anything else we found... it fit every requirement we had.

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
41mm vs 43mm for the RX8. We've been in business in the RX7 world for years and we know what the availability of those parts is like. We've got them on the shelf here but there really was no downside to the RX8 caliper vs RX7, and you can actually get them (and cheap). The slight increase in rear bias was worth it, and we actually built our front kits with the goal of increasing brake torque front AND rear. We'll be releasing our front kits as well later this week... stay tuned. At this point we're convinced you'd be hard pressed to make an S2K stop any faster without getting into bias valve adjustments. Eye-sucking braking doesn't begin to describe the car now, on paper we knew it would be good, but actually having a few track days under our belts with this setup, we're still blown away by the brake performance. Oh and the best part, we specifically tested the front and rear kits with the cheapest most pedestrian pads we could find for a track day, first lap out to last lap of the day with 25min sessions was bang on consistent with zero change in performance. These things run COLD. If you want to stay out all day... this kit with our 325mm AP Competition front is THE ticket!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
The price is a little high, but this seems like a fantastic kit. Definitely a common sense option compared to buying oem sized vented rotors and then sanding down your $200 pads to make them fit.
Sanding brake pads??? I'm not sure what you mean here.

The OEM size stock disc is 12mm thick... to squeeze a vented rotor in you'd have to really hack the stock caliper and the MOST I could see being able to run is a 14-16mm disc TOPS. There's no air gap at that point... good luck getting a curved vane to actually pump air through that thin of a rotor. The whole point to moving to a properly sized rotor and caliper was to actually pump significant amounts of air through the disc with a wide air-gap and directional curved vanes... you simply can't do this with a stock caliper which is why we went to an RX8 at 20mm thick and 314mm diameter

We'll have to post some pictures in here, the S2K legitimately (no offense to Miatas) has a 2002 Miata sized solid rear disc... Like NB Miata, not NC. Add some power to the Miata and the stock rears give up the ghost as well, with 400lbs less car and less power than a stock S2K. I don't know what Honda was thinking when it came to brakes but it wasn't track days

Originally Posted by Cheers!
How readily available are replacement rings? Are they a Sakebomb exclusive thing?

No offence, but companies come and go all the time. It is important to know the future potential issues we may face when it comes time for new rings.
We've had our competition front and rear kit for the FD3S for nearly 5 years now... we're not going anywhere. We pride ourselves on keeping replacement parts in stock at all times. We have competitive FD's running our brake kits, and keeping replacement parts in stock and ready to ship is a must. We just rush shipped a set of 2 pairs AP Racing 325mm fronts and 2 pairs of our FD3S competition rear rings to Australia as backup/spares for a team competing in the Tasmanian 2000km Tarmac Endurance Rally (they need to carry spare parts just in case they need to do maintenance or get stranded someplace). You don't want to know what rush shipping 8 rotor rings to Australia runs.... it's not what most would consider "affordable". That said, we had it in the mail next day to them.

We're not planning on going anywhere any time soon, we're in this for the long haul guys, which is why we take no shortcuts on the engineering side. We expect slow but long-term growth as a company, not to make a few quick bucks and fold.

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - RX-8 Caliper Conversion