Sponsor S2000 Engine and S2000 Drivetrain Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 engine and S2000 drivetrain products

SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit

Old 01-06-2019, 06:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

It's been several years since I installed this and I'm afraid I don't remember how the hose was clocked. However, I also don't remember having the issue you describe. That said, I spent a lot of time playing around with the layout of the hoses to minimize stress and rubbing points. Here's a quick video of how they fit in the end. Note I added some protective rubber (old coolant hose) around the hoses where there's contact with hard edges. FWIW, I installed this in the summer of 2015 and have done about 40 track days and 30k miles with no issues.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Thank you for the video I guess now I wait until Monday to see what SBG has to say.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 PM

I apparently received old instructions, the 45* is supposed to come off the oil sandwich and the 90* goes onto the oil cooler. This seemed to be awkward with how I had to route it in my car and there is deflection required of the line with a 90* fitting at the oil cooler since it wants the line to be inside the frame rail edge there... anyway, I managed to damage my oil cooler fitting when trying to tighten in this configuration after adding rubber to prevent the frame rail cutting the oil line so I will be ordering a new oil cooler fitting (which I believe is either a M22 to 10AN, I am not sure yet as I can't find info about the Kraken cooler listed anywhere but SBG but it appears to be a Setrab clone) and a new run of line so I can use the existing fittings to place the 90* at the oil sandwich and the 45* rotated 90* at the oil cooler.

I also had to bend one of the ears of the oil cooler a bit to allow the rail mounted mounting bracket to sit under the cooler since mounting to the top side of the cooler results in the entire cooler being crooked. (You can see it in the picture I posted earlier)

My mistake when tightening the fitting, but cmon, 90*s at the filter, a 90* at the far end of the cooler, a 45* at the close end of the cooler with proper clocking and everything would have fit very nicely out of the box other than the bracket which is basically a non-issue.

Last edited by Chibo; 01-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chibo
My mistake when tightening the fitting, but cmon, 90*s at the filter, a 90* at the far end of the cooler, a 45* at the close end of the cooler with proper clocking and everything would have fit very nicely out of the box other than the bracket which is basically a non-issue.
From your description it sounds like SBG changed the fittings. On my setup both hoses have 90 deg fittings at the sandwich (you can see it in the video). The cooler fittings are 90 on the side closest to the center of the car and 45 at the outer side. I'd be curious to hear why they made the change and hopefully you'll get it sorted shortly.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Oh well, that's life, too much on my plate to get ready for the season that starts this weekend to worry about it now. I appreciate your input along the way!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Has anyone ever fitted a second sandwich plate for oil temp and pressure ports, while leaving the oe cooler in place?

I know you can remove the stock cooler/warmer donut and use the short oil filter bolt, but wondering if leaving it in place with 2 sandwich plates is doable?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ncrx
Has anyone ever fitted a second sandwich plate for oil temp and pressure ports, while leaving the oe cooler in place?

I know you can remove the stock cooler/warmer donut and use the short oil filter bolt, but wondering if leaving it in place with 2 sandwich plates is doable?
Isn't this essentially the same as adding an oil cooler sandwich plate on top of the OEM plate? We know that fits. Or is there something else different about what you're asking?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Isn't this essentially the same as adding an oil cooler sandwich plate on top of the OEM plate? We know that fits. Or is there something else different about what you're asking?
I have the sbg oil cooler with mocal plate plus stock donut in place. I want to add a 2nd sandwich plate for sensor ports on top of this similar to the motoiq article except leaving the stock donut if i can.

Really its kuz im lazy and would like to not have to pull it all out, and if i ever want to return it to stock to sell saves me work again. I will remove the donut if its recommended.

But want to know if there's any issue to add the extra plate on top of the mocal and donut whether it be too much weight or any other reason, as i simply do not know.

Last edited by ncrx; 01-25-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrx
I have the sbg oil cooler with mocal plate plus stock donut in place. I want to add a 2nd sandwich plate for sensor ports on top of this similar to the motoiq article except leaving the stock donut if i can.

Really its kuz im lazy and would like to not have to pull it all out, and if i ever want to return it to stock to sell saves me work again. I will remove the donut if its recommended.

But want to know if there's any issue to add the extra plate on top of the mocal and donut whether it be too much weight or any other reason, as i simply do not know.

im not the biggest fan but I’ve got the oem cooler then the mocal sandwhich plate for remote cooler and then another sandwhich plate for presseure/temperature/feed ports
Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey!!

We're doing a special promotion for S2ki members! Take 10% off with coupon code: S2ki10off

Coupon code good for all things S2000 on the site! Grab everything before

Valid till 10/31/20419

Quick Reply: SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit