S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review

Old 02-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Excellent review!!!

Some notes: a floating rotor for the stock caliper is available for Girodisc, Stoptech, and on special order from PFC. the PFC one is there V1 design with a million bolts (actually 24, but it looks like a million).

"Initial bite is phenomenal and the pedal feel is superb; the pedal is somewhat grabby, but there’s a lot of modulation available." and "If you aren't careful, you will engage ABS." are functions solely or primary of the pads, not the calipers or rotors. For example, most of these kits have a less than a 10% difference in diameter but pads can have a 2x difference in coefficient of friction. I also have the DTC-30 (under the guise of a Hawk Street/Racer, the same pad). It is a great autocross pad but I doubt it has the heat range to run in the front on a serious track day. With a slightly lower coefficient of friction than the DTC-50/60/70, it is sometimes used in the rear to reduce a rear brake bias. Beware, protect your wheels! The Hawk pads emit tonnes of very corrosive brake dust that bakes on to the wheel.

Do your front brakes have ducting? While increased rotor mass will help when lots of braking is required, the duct to the brake will help cool it quicker. This is a video of a thermal sensor on an S2000 brake rotor around VIR:

Old 02-09-2017, 04:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review and compilation of BBK links!

I can't help but to notice and point out that your "finished product" photo is not of an S2000....5x100 on the wheel gave it away. I'd guess it's a Subaru.

Anyhow, this mod may be in my future if the Accord setup I run (for 2 years now) proves insufficient.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good initial review. I just received my sbg wilwood kit today and track this weekend so I can maybe give some insight to how they fare. Idk if I should do my own review or just tack on the track experience to this one.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Excellent review!!!
This is a video of a thermal sensor on an S2000 brake rotor around VIR:
I don't want to go way off topic here, but it's interesting to watch how much the rotor really does cool from the inside out, and the outside takes more heat under hard braking.
And I want that dash.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Just to interject some added info for what you can get for money spent for anyone interested. I Just ordered the full deal track Stoptech Trophy kit from a known vender here for Less then $2000 to my door. This was a group price, but value wise I don't know how this could be matched. The trophy calipers are lighter then standard stoptechs (not sure exactly how much) and comes with full floating rotors rather then standard 2 piece solid mount. I don't know how much the Wildwood's are going for, but I know how much they want for the AP Racing and I just didn't see the price justification for what you get when comparing to the Stoptechs, either standard or trophy.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll add that the Stoptech rotors can actually be assembled in two ways based on what direction you install the conical washer.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
are there any pad knockback issues?
I did not experience pad knockpad issues in 2 hours of track time.

Originally Posted by Arro
can't help but to notice and point out that your "finished product" photo is not of an S2000....5x100 on the wheel gave it away. I'd guess it's a Subaru.
Thats actually a photo of the kit on my S2K. I run Rota DPTs and the 5x100 is cast into the wheel for some reason. The wheel is dual drilled so it does fit Subarus.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I Just ordered the full deal track Stoptech Trophy kit from a known vender here for Less then $2000 to my door. This was a group price, but value wise I don't know how this could be matched.
There are definitely deals to be found on Stoptechs. The prices I found were based off a quick search and not exhaustive research. You do get a wider pad with Wilwood/AP Racing and the pads are cheaper; e.g. Hawk DTC30s go for $115 for Wilwood and $200 for the Stoptech ST-40.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
I'll add that the Stoptech rotors can actually be assembled in two ways based on what direction you install the conical washer.
You're absolutely correct. I forgot to mention that, so I will update the initial posting accordingly.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Just to interject some added info for what you can get for money spent for anyone interested. I Just ordered the full deal track Stoptech Trophy kit from a known vender here for Less then $2000 to my door. This was a group price, but value wise I don't know how this could be matched. The trophy calipers are lighter then standard stoptechs (not sure exactly how much) and comes with full floating rotors rather then standard 2 piece solid mount. I don't know how much the Wildwood's are going for, but I know how much they want for the AP Racing and I just didn't see the price justification for what you get when comparing to the Stoptechs, either standard or trophy.
Guess it depends on what time of year and the sales are going on since less than $2k is still almost double what I paid so I definitely see the value. Idk how much the stoptech trophy kits weigh (I can do a comparison as my tracking buddy has a trophy kit) but I think its still more than the wilwoods . I'd like to do the daily and track comparison between the two, I just want us to get us on the same pad first. Im not going to diminish the stoptechs or wilwoods until I can see or feel the shortcomings of either, if we do at all. Maybe as we increase in track time and experience we might expose some flaws.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tut4u2

Thats actually a photo of the kit on my S2K. I run Rota DPTs and the 5x100 is cast into the wheel for some reason. The wheel is dual drilled so it does fit Subarus.
I stand corrected, learned something new today.

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review