S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review

Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Good write up. Just got my kits in and should be installing this weekend. Just wondering what offset wheel you're running?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BradtheMachine
Good write up. Just got my kits in and should be installing this weekend. Just wondering what offset wheel you're running?
Wheel are 17x9 +42
Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if the kit will fit AP2V1 rims without spacer?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by benzwiz
Only kit I know for a fact that clears the OEM wheels without a spacer is the Tarox kit.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...heels-1161026/

Hopefully SakeBomb or someone else will post a wheel template for this kit so we can verify fitment.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Only kit I know for a fact that clears the OEM wheels without a spacer is the Tarox kit.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...heels-1161026/

Hopefully SakeBomb or someone else will post a wheel template for this kit so we can verify fitment.
The Torox is a 330x20 disk in order to fit the stock wheels. Sure it's a "big brake kit" but it won't offer any improved performance. The whole point of a bbk is to improve cooling and thermal mass (while keeping total mass low), with a disk sized to fit under the factory wheels its not possible to improve either of these traits. If you want a stock wheel brake upgrade, best bet is girodisk with stock caliper.

They've posted a template previously: http://sakebombgarage.com/content/S2...20Template.PDF
Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my kit installed with some street pads for now. Ducting and track pads coming soon! Brakes feel great, but the bleeders are tiny, which makes getting a hose to stay a little difficult during bleeding. Clears my TSW Nurburgrings 17x9 +63 barely. Probably will need a 15-20 mm spacer for AP2v1. Will confirm in the following weeks.

Last edited by sujohn; 02-13-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The type of wheel will really make the difference in what is needed as my 17x9+63 CE28's need 9mm to clear and 10-11mm to be at optimal clearance from the caliper.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Having owned a Wilwood kit in the past, buy extra bleeders and the brass fittings. They are insanely terrible and will crack at the first slight over-torque, causing a seepage at the bleeder.

Other option, replace the downward fittings with a plug, now you have four spare fittings.

Or, just buy the StopTech kit which is better in every way.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AP2v1 will clear with 17mm spacers

Originally Posted by benzwiz
Old 03-11-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ill piggyback off of this review since it really covered all the bases as standard but Ill throw in a few things that I really noticed during install. The rotor hats are machined with very tight tolerances and needed to be hammered on and then the lugs torqued down to make it seat flush. Ive never had to put on a bbk so this might just be normal. I used Hawk HP+'s as my first pad since I daily'd them on the OEM brake system, but that was a big mistake. When I switched to the bbk from OEM, I noticed more ability to modulate the brakes and find the spot that ABS engages, however, the bad part about having the HP+'s were that not only do the pads not cover the full face of the rotor, having only a 43 depth annulus (which I learned that all Hawk pads only go to that size) leaving an unused ring of a noticeable 8 or 9mm, but geez are they awful loud, even after 3 different bedding attempts. I didnt get that kind of squeal when I had that compound on the stock setup so I didnt think it would be that bad. I scrambled to get another daily pad ASAP, so I turned to the G-Loc GS-1's in the 50 depth and now Im beginning to use the full rotor face with only about a mm or 2 of area around the hat unused and theyre dead silent. Ill miss the bite but not the freight train noise and Ill swap to G-Loc R12's at the track.

I cleared the calipers by about 3 or 4mm with Work Emotion CR Kai 17x9+38 and Rota Titan(TC105n reps) 17x9+35 by about the same. Ive had front brake ducts on the car for about 2 years with no problems on the oem system but when I switched to these, cut the dust shield and bent it back as best I could, the ducts would push the shield into the rotor (I think in front of the tie rod end) so I took the ducts off. The shield to rotor clearance is very very small so Ill have to either take it completely off or do some more trimming that wasnt outlined in the instructions if I run the ducts again.

It pains me to say it but when I was bleeding the system with a friend, he said he could see the caliper flexing when I went all the way down on the brake pedal. I know this isnt a pure competition system such as the AP Racing kit or the Stoptech Trophy, but I didnt think Id get that noticeable of a flex. Maybe Im still just too new to bbk's and its not uncommon. Im still going to run the kit as long as I can and I feel like this kit will give me everything I need for a track day brake kit to easily change pads and and give my brakes higher thermal capacity before potentially moving on to a more heavy duty kit as I progress in TT, if I ever need to do so. Sakebomb was a great help answering all my questions and when I ran into a little snag of accidentally receiving the 2000-2003 brake lines, they shipped out the proper lines immediately. Ill definitely do business with them again. Unfortunately my next track day isnt until May but Ill report back to see how they stood up.
The following users liked this post:
takchi (03-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review