S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sbg competition rear brake system (s2000, rear rx8 caliper retrofit kit)

Old 09-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sbg competition rear brake system (s2000, rear rx8 caliper retrofit kit)

Hi,

Anyone here gave these a try? Thoughts and opinion? How would it match Stoptech 328mm BBK?

SBG Competition Rear Brake System (S2000, Rear RX8 Caliper Retrofit kit) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

Thanks
Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
Hi,

Anyone here gave these a try? Thoughts and opinion? How would it match Stoptech 328mm BBK?

SBG Competition Rear Brake System (S2000, Rear RX8 Caliper Retrofit kit) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

Thanks
if used with stoptech front bbk (or any non-SBG) your brake bias will be off, it hints towards that on the link you provided:
" *NOTE: This rear brake kit has been designed to be used with our AP Competition Front Brake Kit or Street brake kit running a 325x32mm rotor. Installation of this rear kit with stock front brakes or other aftermarket front brakes is done at your own risk. Due to the increased rear rotor size and caliper piston size, rear braking force is increased as compared to stock. If you are running stock fronts or aftermarket big brake kits with undersized pistons, we recommend installing a lower coeffecient friction pad in the rear to compensate for increased rear bias. Optionally a proportioning valve may be installed with setups other than the SBG AP Front Competiton or SBG Street Brake kits so that you may safely and correctly adjust the rear brake bias . Installing this rear brake kit with any front braking system other than SakeBomb kits made to pair with this competition rear kit is done at your own risk. "
Old 09-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What questions do you have about them? I've been running them for a while now with the sbg wildwood kit.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tut4u2
What questions do you have about them? I've been running them for a while now with the sbg wildwood kit.
Has your rear pad life increased? From how many to how many events? Do you HPDE (what level), TT or honda challenge? Has rear bearing life increased? Temperature delta data?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by usafstud

Has your rear pad life increased? From how many to how many events? Do you HPDE (what level), TT or honda challenge? Has rear bearing life increased? Temperature delta data?
I got 19 thirty minute sessions out of the rear pads last time I replaced them so 4 track days. They could've gone another track day but I was replacing the calipers so I changed the pads while I was in there. These were dtc50s while running federal 595rsrr tires.

​I haven't replaced the wheel bearings yet so I can't comment on that.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tut4u2
I got 19 thirty minute sessions out of the rear pads last time I replaced them so 4 track days. They could've gone another track day but I was replacing the calipers so I changed the pads while I was in there. These were dtc50s while running federal 595rsrr tires.

​I haven't replaced the wheel bearings yet so I can't comment on that.
Replacing the calipers? What is that all about? Do the RX8 calipers not hold up as well?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Replacing the calipers? What is that all about? Do the RX8 calipers not hold up as well?
I bought the calipers used off ebay and had 2 issues:
1. The piston dust boot got torn
2. The brakes would drag occasionally and make this awful noise whenever I would go in reverse; the latter issue is still present even with the new calipers.

I ended up getting reman'ed calipers off eBay for $115 shipped. So far I haven't had any issues with them the exception of the previously mentioned noise while going in reverse.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
if used with stoptech front bbk (or any non-SBG) your brake bias will be off, it hints towards that on the link you provided:
" *NOTE: This rear brake kit has been designed to be used with our AP Competition Front Brake Kit or Street brake kit running a 325x32mm rotor. Installation of this rear kit with stock front brakes or other aftermarket front brakes is done at your own risk. Due to the increased rear rotor size and caliper piston size, rear braking force is increased as compared to stock. If you are running stock fronts or aftermarket big brake kits with undersized pistons, we recommend installing a lower coeffecient friction pad in the rear to compensate for increased rear bias. Optionally a proportioning valve may be installed with setups other than the SBG AP Front Competiton or SBG Street Brake kits so that you may safely and correctly adjust the rear brake bias . Installing this rear brake kit with any front braking system other than SakeBomb kits made to pair with this competition rear kit is done at your own risk. "
Does anyone know definitively whether this is still an issue for cars with EBD (2006+?) It seems like it shouldn't be; in theory it should allow you to put any rear brakes in, and the system should optimize the bias automatically. It would be nice to confirm that though.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
I built this tool to analyze how brake bias is affected by the various kits available. As afzan and SBG point out, the kit has more torque than stock by 20% and hence SBG properly warns not to use it with stock front brakes.

Information on the Stoptech kit is sketchy. Rotor diameter is specified as 345 mm and the calipers are ST-41. However, the ST-41 can support pistons ranging from 26mm up to 42mm. Link. Assuming the kit uses a 26mm piston yields a change in brake bias vs. stock of only 1%. Larger pistons could of course be used to get closer to the SBG kit if that's what you want. The point is that without more info, you really can't know how bias will change. I'll add that for a company of Stoptech's reputation, it's really surprising how difficult they make it to get the detailed specs on their kits. Contrast to Wilwood who makes is quite clear and easy.

Last, I have not used the SBG rear kit but have their front Wilwood kit and have been really happy with it. It's a quality kit with good engineering. They do their homework.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Information on the Stoptech kit is sketchy. Rotor diameter is specified as 345 mm and the calipers are ST-41. However, the ST-41 can support pistons ranging from 26mm up to 42mm. Link. Assuming the kit uses a 26mm piston yields a change in brake bias vs. stock of only 1%. Larger pistons could of course be used to get closer to the SBG kit if that's what you want. The point is that without more info, you really can't know how bias will change. I'll add that for a company of Stoptech's reputation, it's really surprising how difficult they make it to get the detailed specs on their kits. Contrast to Wilwood who makes is quite clear and easy.
Not sure which kit you are looking for but this thread has specs/piston sizes on the standard kit (ST-40 328x28):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ch-bbk-909159/

Quick Reply: Sbg competition rear brake system (s2000, rear rx8 caliper retrofit kit)