S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

seat belts vs harness

Old 04-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seat belts vs harness

I am looking for a restraint system compatible with OEM seats for those occasional HPDE days. I feel like I am moving around excessively and I have the cam lock now. Any advice?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

There are very few DOT approved 6-point harnesses. These seem to be DOT approved. Don't know if they fit the S2000 or anything else other than Google found them. Google may work on your PC as well. Try it and see.

-- Chuck
Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have a roll bar? If not, what do you plan on wrapping the harness around?

honestly a proper seat with the OEM belts will probably keep you planted better than a harness and the OEM seat. Probably slightly less illegal as well on the street.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah whats wrong with using a bucket seat with oem belts + airbags?

usually the sliding around is the seat not the belt
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
yeah whats wrong with using a bucket seat with oem belts + airbags?

usually the sliding around is the seat not the belt
you really need both bucket seats and harnesses to stay in place on track. It's a great feeling to be completely relaxed and being held 100% in place while pulling 1.2-1.5 lateral Gs. That said, such a tight seat isn't very DD friendly, so it does no good to get a huge bucket seat where you're still moving around.

to the OP, i'd probably get a bucket seat with a oem belt before, with the understanding it won't be perfect. It'll be easier to drive on the street than oem seats and. Harnesses. It's tough to anchor a harness properly without taking the next "big step" on safety as well.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You sound like you are on the edge of making a bunch of car and safety decisions. If you are moving around in the seat, how are the brakes and tires holding up?

Has safety been an issue yet? A quick way to qualify your view on safety: do you by crash damage insurance for HPDE events?

As mentioned here in numerous threads, harnesses and seats require the driver the make some very specific track vs. street tradeoff decisions, whether used for safety or to make the seat more retentive.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 AM

If you don't want to go the whole hog with a rollbar and drive with an organization that's roll-hoop friendly (aka not most of the east coast), you could always look into having your roll hoops modified by Ballade Sports. The catch with that is having both sides done costs roughly the same as a hard dog and bulkhead bar, plus you're without your roll hoops for a month.

Of course, you'd also still need to purchase a seat, rails/mounts, and harness so you're looking at a minimum of around $1000 invested if you get a non-FIA seat like the Corbeau FX-1 Pro (the seat I have - it actually fits in the car). An FIA seat will bump you up to around $15-1600 total outlay per side.

Personally for mounts I'm partial to PCI, plus you don't have to drill through your floorboard to mount the sub straps with it.

For track/street tradeoffs, I still have my OE seats/belts, and only swap in my buckets for events. It's around a 20 minute operation for me, and that includes hauling them out of my basement.

Last edited by duffman13; 04-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by JB34
I am looking for a restraint system compatible with OEM seats for those occasional HPDE days. I feel like I am moving around excessively and I have the cam lock now. Any advice?
Get a CG Lock: CG-Lock Autocross/Solo Driving

In short, you should never do a harness without roll protection and fix back seat. Most track organizations will not allow such a setup on track. In short, if you have OEM seats, use OEM belts. Add the CG Lock.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM

There's also the Modifry seat belt lock, which I ran for a while before moving to a full setup with a roll bar, seats, and harnesses.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM

Last year during a HPDE event, I ran into a M3 driver in my run group who was using a "plug and play" harness system for his occasional track days. It was very cool but I could not remember the manufacturer. Chuck, the link you sent (thank you) was from Schroth Racing Harness and these folks make that system. They call it Quick Fit Pro and it is a 4 pt. harness capable of using a HANS device. It integrates into the factory safety system to give additional support and restraint for those HPDE events. They have prerequisites to use this system and actually have them available for Audi, BMW, Mini, Subaru and a couple others. Paramount is a seat with a pass-through headrest. RED Flag for our cars. I phoned them and spoke with a very knowledgeable fellow who knew our cars; he confirmed that the OEM seats in our cars will not SAFELY (safety first-thank you David) accommodate a harness. If I had a roll bar (which I do; using a Cusco Safety 21. I chose it over Hard Dog so I can keep all of the factory interior pieces intact and I'm not going into the race class so I don't care if it isn't SCCA approved. It allows me a bit more protection than the factory hoops) Mark recommended the Profi II ASM 4 pt. harness AFTER I changed the seat. Duffman, I'm going to look further into your track day swap seat idea but it seems that Mahjik nailed it: "In short, if you have OEM seats, use OEM belts."

Thank you all for posting your experiences and sharing your advice.

Quick Reply: seat belts vs harness