S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Seat options for track day and no aftermarket roll bar

Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat options for track day and no aftermarket roll bar

Hey guys I thought Id ask this here. I have a stock 08 thats low miles and I wont hack up the interior and install a roll cage. I do want to do some HPDE and my local track requires a broomstick test. Im 5'10" and I need a seat and rail option. I see vios 3 is popular. Has anyone run this seat who is my height and been able to clear the factory bar? I dont want to order it, install, and then have to send it back. Please help
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

VIOS 3 will work for you if you have a small waste (30-32"). Regardless, you should get a Recaro Pole Position. To clear the factory roll hoops you will most likely have to remove the seat cushion when on track.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by roel03
VIOS 3 will work for you if you have a small waste (30-32"). Regardless, you should get a Recaro Pole Position. To clear the factory roll hoops you will most likely have to remove the seat cushion when on track.
Ive seen some videos on youtube but its usually taller guys who are trying to pass the test. I hope you are right. I may just go with the recaros
Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How much clearance do you need? Make sure to take the top of the helmet into consideration.

I'm 5'10"/11" with Sparco Circuit on PCi rails, I maybe have 3 or 4 inches from top of my helmet but this is to the top of a custom roll bar and the stock hoops will be significantly shorter.

I could possibly get lower by modifying the PCi bracket but haven't had time to play with it. Buddy Club rails are an option but I wouldn't do it without reinforcing the welds as many have had problems with them cracking.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Running bucket seats with oem 3 point restraint system is not recommended. Fixed back bucket seats are designed for harnesses. Most organizations won't allow fixed back seats without a properly mounted harness. It seems odd that they would do a broom stick test but not care about proper restraint.
If you are close to clearing, you might want to look into a BYS seat rail. You could also buy a used oem seat and remove some pad material from the seat cushion, and pair that with the lower seat rail. Swap seats (or just seat pan) the day before the track event. That combination should create some clearance.
If you are set on getting a fixed back seat without a rollbar, Ballade Sports sells oem roll hoops that have been modified with a harness bar welded between the loop. This way you can run harnesses without leaving your interior a mess.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 AM

As was mentioned above, have you sat in your car with your helmet on to get a rough idea how much lower you need to go to pass the test? Make sure you do that to get an idea if this problem can even be solved with just a lower seat. As far as the seat goes, make sure you check the dimensions of the seat instead of focusing on what's popular. Bride seats tend to be for those with a smaller waist. Try to find one that most closely resembles your body dimensions.

Some personal experience:
I had initially installed a recaro profi spg driver seat in my s2k using the buddy club seat rail. The buddy club rails left a lot to be desired in terms of quality as barnburner mentioned. Some additional problems I ran into, were that the BC rail didn't allow for enough width adjustment to properly fit that seat. There was like a quarter inch gap left between the seat and mounting brackets on each side. I didn't feel comfortable sticking with the BC rail and using washers and longer bolts as some others have done, so I bought a set of nagisa seat rails as a replacement. They are a bit more expensive but they are much higher quality and have a lot more adjustability to properly fit the seat. Like the BC rails, the limit to how low the seat can be mounted is the floor. If you're using a wider seat, the BC rails could be ok provided that the welding is reinforced.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Some HPDE organizations and some tracks require an aftermarket roll bar without regard to the broomstick test. Some HPDE organizations and some tracks are rigorous with the brook stick test - particularly if you insist on running top down. I'm just on the bubble myself and like to sit upright. Rather than worry about it, I just run with the top up. Never been "tested". Never been a problem with the primary groups that I've run with. Where are you located and where do you expect to run?

In other news, if you run with a group that provides in car instruction, both seat and harness configurations must usually be the same.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got a Recaro pole position with buddy clubs. Some observations for those that will try this...If your 5'10" you will pass the broomstick test with the buddy clubs at the highest setting for the back mount. I have it mounted top hole in the back and second from the top on the front hole. If your 6' or taller I dont think you will clear and will need a roll cage. This is not a tall or fat friendly vehicle.

A note on the buddy clubs- they are a pain in the ass to get to fit right.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want the cleanest and easiest seat install with a full interior I recommend the following:
Seat: Recaro RS-GE
Rail Slider: Bride FO BRIDE Type-FO Seat Rail (Full Bucket) | Evasive Motorsports
Belt: Stock + belt extender

My friends who are 5'11 (obviously depends on each individuals anatomy) can clear my friend's setup with the Bride FO + Recaro SPG no problem.

RS-GE has narrower shoulder supports so it's easier to access your glove and will definitely clear the door cards
SPG - the spg, normal version, clears everything - just barely with the bride FO rail at position 2 in the front and position 1 in the rear. The only issue is that if you want to access your glove box you have to scoot forward considerably then chinese contortion yourself to navigate around the shoulder wing.

With the FO rail system, you can get as deep as the rear bar on the rail. because the FO is boxed with 2 steel lateral beams, it makes locating and installing the rails a piece of cake. I usually, attach the Recaro (I have never ever used and or recommended any other seat) to the rail on a piece of cardboard or a blanket outside of the car, then I scoot the seat and rail all the way forward. Put the top down or take the hard top off, open the driver door, drop seat in to expose rear rail mounts and zap it in with an electric impact with the bolts not completely tight so that I can adjust as needed. Then I sit in the seat and scoot it all the way back, exposing the front rail bolts and zap those in with an electric impact and torque down the fronts. Then I sit in the seat slide it all the way forward and then I torque down the rears.

The SPG, RSG all require that the driver be a fit individual - but I have found this option to be the least frustrating combination of seat and rail option out there.

I believe the taitec rail will accomplish the same thing as the bride rail but is no longer readily available. Any of the split rail designs will be frustrating as hell without the right amount of tools and take 10x as long to install. If you need more clearance you can also cut rear locating lateral bar and make the bride rail a U instead of it being fully boxed
The following users liked this post:
bruthaboost (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Running bucket seats with oem 3 point restraint system is not recommended. Fixed back bucket seats are designed for harnesses. Most organizations won't allow fixed back seats without a properly mounted harness. It seems odd that they would do a broom stick test but not care about proper restraint.
If you are close to clearing, you might want to look into a BYS seat rail. You could also buy a used oem seat and remove some pad material from the seat cushion, and pair that with the lower seat rail. Swap seats (or just seat pan) the day before the track event. That combination should create some clearance.
If you are set on getting a fixed back seat without a rollbar, Ballade Sports sells oem roll hoops that have been modified with a harness bar welded between the loop. This way you can run harnesses without leaving your interior a mess.
This! Although IDK that I am a fan of the Ballade modified roll hoop option, once you are in a harness you had better really hope the rollover protection is good. That said most major incidents during HPDE events are impacts to stationary objects, in that instance a harness AND neck restraint is good additional protection.

Quick Reply: Seat options for track day and no aftermarket roll bar