S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Seat options for track day and no aftermarket roll bar

Old 09-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PropkaPT
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got a Recaro pole position with buddy clubs. Some observations for those that will try this...If your 5'10" you will pass the broomstick test with the buddy clubs at the highest setting for the back mount. I have it mounted top hole in the back and second from the top on the front hole. If your 6' or taller I dont think you will clear and will need a roll cage. This is not a tall or fat friendly vehicle.

A note on the buddy clubs- they are a pain in the ass to get to fit right.
Per my other comment IDK that I would necessarily have gone that route. That said be aware that those brackets have cracked. Also really look closely to how the belt mounts to the bracket and make darn sure it will pull with the direction of the bracket and not against it possibly bending it. Maybe not a huge issue with an OEM belt that you don’t really tighten hard around the waste, but I opted to not use this mount on my PIC brackets/harness and drilled through the tunnel mounting with a backing plate. Track safety is a bit of a PITA with this car, all OEM with a BYS Mount was “ok” until I really started chasing time, then the full deal was a worthwhile investment IMO.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

This! Although IDK that I am a fan of the Ballade modified roll hoop option, once you are in a harness you had better really hope the rollover protection is good. That said most major incidents during HPDE events are impacts to stationary objects, in that instance a harness AND neck restraint is good additional protection.
There are a host of cars that now come with a 3 point and fixed bucket seats, including the almost every Porsche GTx car

A fixed bucket and oem safety equipment can be used if properly designed.

When thinking about safety you need to address the glaring problems, first! If say someone is too tall to fit under the oem roll over hoop then obviously that's the most dangerous solution. But if someone is going to run a non factory, roll bar, bucket seat, harness and aftermarket seatbelt - then they better use a hans or a containment seat - see what happens if there is a side impact.

If a person can safely fit under the factory roll over hoops, with a bucket, factory air bag and a 3 point harness - that's a pretty stout set of safety features. To increase your chances of survival definitely driver should wear a donut.

In general I've found the following caveats to consider when replacing factory equipment that has been designed and tested by people significantly smarter than most of the people gluing safety systems together based on information found on the internet.

- avoid 3 points going over the bolster for the lap belt; thread the 3 point through the lap belt bolster loop and use an appropriate length seatbelt extender
- avoid 4 points and 5 point harnesses
- use roll bar padding and/or helmet to avoid becoming a vegetable
- make sure to observe proper harness anchor point geometry
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
There are a host of cars that now come with a 3 point and fixed bucket seats, including the almost every Porsche GTx car

A fixed bucket and oem safety equipment can be used if properly designed.
Yes, but properly designed is key. The P GT cars are designed to work with the seats they installed. Most aftermarket fixed seats in an S2k with a 3pt result in some level of compromise in the belt routing.