S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Solo stock class buyer's guide?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mavm86,Jul 22 2009, 08:54 PM
Fixed for you

But seriously, I think that it really comes down to the driver. Look at last year's nationals results, 1st was a CR on stock shocks and exhaust, 2nd was an AP1 on stock shocks and a dump exhaust. As long as you have a front bar, R-compounds and driving talent, you can be in the mix.

Personally, I bought an AP2 because of the ability to fit bigger tires, and the slightly better looks (imo). The supposed extra torque of the 2.2 didn't hurt my decision either.
Thanks for putting it in better terms!

I do think there will be more separation between setups on concrete. I have driven on plenty of concrete this year and have notice the suspension/setup adjustments on course more than I ever did on asphalt. Who knows, it may or may not matter...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=krshultz,Jul 22 2009, 07:19 PM] Something to consider: some folks are reporting some peculiar behavior in 2008+ S2000s with regards to launching at Pros, and the weird revlimiter.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06+ can do the Hondata Reflash and be up significantly on power from the earlier model years.

I haven't given up on Megasquirt though. Thats the only option the 00-05's have to get some decent power although things aren't looking so good with OBD2...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 AM

AP2s are stronger however I recently "blew' my AP2 rear, shattered the teeth off the pinion and damaged the ring gear all at 70k miles. Keep in mind i ran slightly stickier 255s in the back and i beat the piss outa my car.

AP2 ftw!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by sirbunz,Jul 23 2009, 07:34 AM
Yep, its me again

The rev limiter issue in my case was caused by the aftermarket exhaust. As soon as I put the OEM (search "DIY exhaust") exhaust back on, the weird cut at the limiter went away. I tried the ebrake launch at the last event and had no issues. You have to run no less than 3/4 tank of fuel in the newer models or you will starve at some point.

Karl is onto something that doesn't have a scientific answer yet, but I don't think its as big of an issue as some made it out to be. We will see at Toledo...
Keith V, have you seen this? I know you're on your way to Toledo, so maybe I'll text you tomorrow.

Nick, that's crazy that the stock exhaust made the weird revlimiter thing go away. The issue didn't seem to slow Keith's car down much - not much seems to slow Keith down lately - but it sure felt strange to have the car fall flat like that. Keith's has an aftermarket exhaust on it.

Regarding the fuel starve thing - My 2004 has fuel starved as 3/4 of a tank and higher! At DC this year, I brought the car up on a trailer with the tank full. By the end of Saturday, with two codrivers, the car was fuel starving. I borrowed some of Keith's gas to finish the day. Now, I run the car on a full tank all of the time.

Always learning something about these cars.

Good luck at Toledo everybody!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 PM

For AS it's about a wash on the power/gearing, IMO, assuming a good mix of course layouts. There are some courses where the extra head room in the AP1 in both first and second gear are favored and there can be courses where the gearing of the AP2 is favored. This conclusion is based on having done several back to back AP1/AP2 car swaps at multiple events. Sometimes the difference is clear.

Assuming a decent setup, it mostly comes down to the driver. There's no doubt that Hoosiers have an edge over the Kumhos, so don't cheap out for the important events.

Based on tire availability/options AP2 is probably the way to go.

See you at Nationals Zack, assuming you are going?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow it took me this long to see this thread. As everyone has been saying there really isn't a wrong year to choose. I went with the base S2000 with my 08 because I like the convertible roof and because dealers still thought the CR was something special when I bought mine. I got over $5k off sticker on a car that was on the lot less than a month. A dealer that had a CR for over 6 months would only take off $3k.

As for the wierd rev limiter thing. I may try the exhaust thing but it seems to be more of a mental thing than a true performance hinderance. I am working on getting several things together to get some more extensive tire testing done before the end of the year. I may do the exhaust thing at the beginning of next year once I get my data aquisition system on the car.

Also Marc if your reading this the 275's at all four corners felt amazing last weekend once I got the setup working right with them.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses. Let me know if you know of any AS cars that might go on the market soon (like, after nats, presumably

Rob, I'll be at both the pro finale and nats this year--see you there!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM

AP1/AP2 are very close, and which is better depends on the course -- largely a gearing issue. I think the CR would be the way to go on a no-holds-barred A Stock build, but I don't want to own a CR.

What you really want to check is that the car is in good condition. On AP1s, check for cracks on the bracket on the chassis that the front upper control arm bolts to.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Orthonormal,Aug 15 2009, 09:42 AM
snip...

On AP1s, check for cracks on the bracket on the chassis that the front upper control arm bolts to.
Oh yeah. If you don't want to deal with welding the rear bracket of the upper front A-arm then AP2 is the way to go. I am on my second AP1 and welded both which is not a big deal, but it needs to be done if running race rubber.

The link below has a gallery of photos showing what happens and what needs to get done.
Front Upper A-arm