S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Some questions concerning racing, costs, rewards, who does it, etc.... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/some-questions-concerning-racing-costs-rewards-who-does-etc-82909/)

Scot 09-24-2002 07:00 AM

Some questions concerning racing, costs, rewards, who does it, etc....

I see the fun in racing just from going to track days, but it appears to be almost totally a rich mans sport.... do the sponsors pay for much, and if so, why.?

S2000 or other Honda/Acura opportunities;

T2 - who actually goes to watch, no real $ if you win, lots of risks of crash, travel, car parts, why would a sponsor contribute much? Almost no TV exposure, etc.....

But to run a full season with modest breaks/wrecks/etc.... would cost $50k+++ for a year and the rewards are just not there.

speed(vision)series - no S2000's but ITR's.... lots of cost, lots of travel, a little tv exposure...... once again $50k+ (assuming no major accidents) with very little reward.

Even the local "Sprint car" racing is expensive.... it would cost $50k a year to run a spring car most weekends assuming no major accidents.

I kind of like the NASA "Honda-Challange" idea, but it is only 5 race weekends a year (this year anyway), and still that would cost $10k in travel, entrance, brakes, tires, etc..... for very little reward.

Any views on this stuff.???? I am saving $ to do something soon, but I am not sure what... it is all expensive and you need lots of free time....which I don't really have.

thanks....Scot

twohoos 09-24-2002 10:04 AM

No doubt about it -- "to make a small fortune in racing, start with a large one." Even F1 teams rarely operate in the black.

Best of luck in your endeavors, though. :thumbup:

The Unabageler 09-24-2002 10:47 AM

there will be an s2000 in speed GT series next season, krazik and I met the driver on sunday. The pot isn't too small for that.

for the money...it's probably easier to find someone to pay you to do it. find a rich car enthusiast and beg for money, that's my plan!!! :D

another idea that I have been pondering is getting into karting and hopefully be picked up into a formula series. Karts are a lot cheaper and most formula drivers come straight from karting with little or no car racing experience.

EFFECT 09-24-2002 12:03 PM

I think NASA's Honda challenge looks very promising. I like the sound of the Speed GT series as well, but thats a long ways away for me, why do I have to be in michigan?:p

pll 09-24-2002 04:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Unabageler
[B]there will be an s2000 in speed GT series next season, krazik and I met the driver on sunday.

Scot 09-24-2002 06:41 PM

I think I read that Neal Sapp won some National Auto-X championships over some years....but where did that get him.? He was racing T2 and has now moved up to the BMW in the Speed championship..... i doubt there is any pay associated with it either... just fun...which is good..but...$$$

I kind of doubt that the LeMans series drivers (Butch Leitzinger make any money for their salary from driving.?

What does Taz Harvey make to finish 10th in just about every race in the Speed races??? I would imagine nothing...

I guess in america you pretty much have to start dirt track "sprint racing" at age 10, then get yourself into a NASCAR sponsored ride.....

There just doesn't seem to be any way to move up or even start out without a bunch of $ to burn.... and you just know the first F'ing race someone will tap you from behind and cause $5k worth of damage or worse!

I cannot imagine racing a ITB (ITA whatever) CRX around any where.... (too slow)... DE Track days in the S2000 are more fun than that.

Still need to save some $ for the Honda-Challenge and start slowly i guess....There is the www.ustcc.com thing that looks decent, but....once again... $15k in travel / entrance / tires/ brakes, $25k in car.

Scot

pll 09-24-2002 07:11 PM

I was thinking more in terms of the Toyota Atlantic and some of the other formula series.

EFFECT 09-25-2002 07:15 AM

Call me crazy, but I think racing is about having fun while being competitive, not making money, heh. (of course $$ is always nice!)
Honda challenge will probably cost you less then USTCC, plus your more likely to keep your car in one pice at the Honda Challenge, I think its one of the best places to start, especially if you want to run an S2000, since you may actually be able to be competitive in H1 with it.

Jason Saini 09-25-2002 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Scot
I cannot imagine racing a ITB (ITA whatever) CRX around any where.... (too slow)... DE Track days in the S2000 are more fun than that.
On most tracks, a well prepped and driven ITA '88-'91 CRX will be as fast or faster than the modified street S2000's that run most DE events. They are by NO means slow. At Gingerman, we've run a best of 1:34.9 in the Mugen-prepped SS2000 project car. The ITA record, set in a marginally prepped CRX several years ago is a 1:34.0.

On just about any other track, check the SCCA sites for the ITA track record. The CRX weighs 2000lb. with over 120hp at the wheels - you do the math on power-to-weight ratio compared to a 2800lb. S2000 with 200hp at the wheels. The S2000 is better, but not by much. Then you have to stop and turn all that weight also. Of course it's front wheel drive. :banghead:

As for racing, it is a rich man's sport - road racing, that is. But there are opportunities for hard-working and motivated individuals. Volunteer for some local pro teams - learn the game. Meet people, form relationships... but most importantly practice, practice, practice. Whether it's Solo2 in an S2000, or ITA in a CRX - JUST DO IT. And have fun at the same time.

Racing is what you make of it... if you are trying to make a career out of it, chances are it will become a career. Meetings, proposals, days and hours of work. If you treat it as fun, and do what you can afford it will be most rewarding. Most people that try desperately to make a career out of it end up not being happy in the end.

Scot 09-26-2002 02:42 PM

I guess it boils down to $$$$. I personally don't have any real free time to dedicate to hang out at the track, pit, etc..... If I do anything I usually what needs done and get home to play with my kids.......

I was just curious to see how a person "Galati" (they guy who drives the Speed Audi S4) type job..... i guess with $ you work your way up and eventually keep moving up. :)

I will continue my Track days of fun and eventually fork out some $ for a real race car.

Scot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Saini
[B]

As for racing, it is a rich man's sport - road racing, that is.