S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Strange Vibration on long sweeping right turns

Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strange Vibration on long sweeping right turns

I was hoping if some of you have some experiences with identifying vibrations.

The vibration in question occurs in fast, sustained right turns over 100km/h. The best way i can describe it is more of a shudder than a vibration. I thought that the fender might be rubbing up against the tyre during load but i do not have any visible markings on the tyre. I do not know if it the same on the left side as i haven't been to any tracks with long fast right corners.

Here is a video - most notable at 55 second mark i take the corner and you can hear it after i pass the apex - you can hear it earlier about 40 second mark - i cut into the grass but as i pass the apex an head to the next apex you can hear it.

Also reviewing my footage i think it does occur turning left but not for long between the two footage markers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nm_9qZXTTE

Its been a 14 months and 6 track days since my last alignment which i will be checking soon as the pro driver suspects it might have a bit of toe out in the rear which could be the cause however this has always been there since i put the coilovers, wheels and tyres on. The car has about 120K miles on it. Probably needs new bushes all around but not sure if that would be the cause.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Setup:

Bilstien PSS9
Advan Neova AD08R 255/40 x4
17x9 + 45 RPF1 (i dont care what this forum says... they do not fit in the front with 255 tyres)
My ride height is probably higher than stock due to tyre wheel fitment issues.

last alignment settings was UK spec but -2 camber for front.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I watched the video, and I didn't hear anything weird other than normal tire sounds. When I hear shudder/vibration only turning one direction, the first thing I think is wheel bearing.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it sounds like the shudder is during cornering both directions but only when on throttle. At around 0:34 you can hear a cyclic thump during cornering but it clearly happens when on throttle and disappears when off throttle. I'd suspect wheel bearings or CV joints. Also, check your wheels very closely for cracks. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the same thing develop on my car. Replaced the axle and it went away. When you lowered the car the part of the Inner axle housing the CV was riding in got moved and its not in the same place. Most people do axle spacers to fix this but I dont like the idea of them and just got new axles.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

@Gearhead + king Tut - I like your theories and will get the wheel bearings checked as well before i do CV - Chances are at this age it needs replacing anyway.

@No.D - My car isn't lowered, its actually maybe stock height if not higher due to rubber / wheels being too fat without enough fender work. However not to discount that is was extremely lowered when i first bought it. I had a terrible shudder on acceleration (straight line) but found out it was due to broken diff mounts. Did your vibration occur when only cornering as well before you fixed it?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If you're going to replace the rear wheel bearings you might as well swap the axle cups too. A lowered S2000 will eat into the cups causing vibration. It's happening to mine too, so I am planning to go through the same thing before the next track day.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was a very slight vibration and high speed but on really high load right hand corners it was really bad. I replaced the axle and this last race it was fine.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:55 PM

I think i might bite the bullet and replace the axles completely. 120K miles (i think i converted right 1.6km to a mile yea?) and i remembered when i bought the vehicle that apparently left side was replaced due to a brake seizure before i bought the car. A 2nd hand axle and hub was put in. Im really hoping it was really a seizure and not a gutter hit.

I've never gotten feed back on the alignments that it wasn't symmetrical. Might get a closure inspection done.

I'll let you all know how i go.

Thanks again.