S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

suggestions for limiting camber?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suggestions for limiting camber?

I've got an unusual problem... I need to dial in an absurdly low amount of camber, and I just can't get there. I'm running bias ply slicks this year, and they are happiest with -0.5 to -1 degree of camber. We did an alignment last night, and lowest we could get was -1.6 in the front and -2.6 in the rear. Before I started, the fronts were -3.6 and the rears were -3.3. I think I have a shot at getting the fronts in the ballpark, as I still have the hardrace offset balljoints installed, and I can swap back to the stock balljoints to lose some camber. The rear is going to be a problem, that I don't have a good solution for. I've got the TCD adjustable toe arms, but no balljoints.

I'm probably the only s2000 owner out there that wants less camber than stock! Any ideas for how to get there?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offset bushings in your upper control arms.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget if you have sphericals, but if not, offset bushings in the rear UCA should work. There's not a ton of meat there, but maybe welding something like this onto the upper control arm mount:

Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM

Yea, I have sphericals in all the arms.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 AM

In checking the rules, control arms are unrestricted, and I can relocate the suspension pickup points. So, a solution like Matt's, if I were to replace the UCA mount entirely, would work. Or, I could have custom upper control arms made that are a little bit longer.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

SC, are you sure you can't pull both rear adjusters full inward (for min neg camber) and then use your adjustable toe link to set the toe for less negative camber? If not are your spherical bearings adjustable?

Like you said, in the front you'll need to install your stock ball joints.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM

I pulled both adjusters in as far as they would go as my starting point... In the left rear, that measured -2.3 camber and 14mm of toe in. After lengthening the toe arm as much as I dared, I ended up at -2.6 and 2mm of toe in.

I may pickup a second set of upper arms and give offset bushings a try. Any ideas who I should contact to make such things?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

do the meganracing replacement upper arms allow for what you want? it seems like they slide the entire balljoint out or in

Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Hmm... maybe. It depends on if the range of adjustment would allow a configuration where the overall length of the arm is actually longer than stock. I suspect it probably starts at stock length and allows shortening only, but I'll look into it.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander
I've got an unusual problem... I need to dial in an absurdly low amount of camber, and I just can't get there. I'm running bias ply slicks this year, and they are happiest with -0.5 to -1 degree of camber. We did an alignment last night, and lowest we could get was -1.6 in the front and -2.6 in the rear. Before I started, the fronts were -3.6 and the rears were -3.3. I think I have a shot at getting the fronts in the ballpark, as I still have the hardrace offset balljoints installed, and I can swap back to the stock balljoints to lose some camber. The rear is going to be a problem, that I don't have a good solution for. I've got the TCD adjustable toe arms, but no balljoints.

I'm probably the only s2000 owner out there that wants less camber than stock! Any ideas for how to get there?
Tread Carefully, I posed the same thread topic recently and Ckit shut it down. Unbeknownst to me, if you want less camber solutions for wide tires, you’re into hard parking!

Quick Reply: suggestions for limiting camber?