S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06

Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cracknut
I had the 2006 C6 Z06 listed below for about 6 months and the previous owner did all the reliability upgrades (including the oiling system and valves/springs). They are listed in the post.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mans-blue.html

It was fast as f**k and a blast to drive but like Ian said it is not a precision tool. I've raced an S2k for 7 years and picked up a stock 2009 Cayman S in middle of 2017. Despite the power deficit and smaller tires I was faster around any autoX track in the Cayman. It has much better feedback and a more predictable breakaway characteristic even after I corner balanced the vette.

For sure there are ppl out there that know how to tune the suspension on a Z06 to demolish a turbo S2k (or a Cayman S) but I wasn't interested in doing that work. Plus the seats are crap, the shifter is meh, the interior rattles, etc.
Calling the Interior MEH is a compliment for it. God the interior sucks. The Seats make church pews feel comfortable.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

I think the right engine builder could do quite a bit for $7800 and still keep this engine reliable. Plus if it fails you can take it back to the builder. If a Spoon engine fails who do you go back to? If that block was less expensive I would possibly consider it.
Indeed. I think you pay for the Spoon name. Just like Toda.

Maybe $4.5k and you have a built motor including head work.

Piston & Rods = $1200
Bearings = $300
Machining = $200
Headwork = $2000
Labor = $1000

It's not rocket science honestly but its a decent amount of money to make just a bit more power. Same price as a SOS kit. But you still have the dilema of your current engine's health.

Rebuilding it just to make it healthy again will be a lot cheaper. No need to do headwork. Hopefully cylinder walls are fine. New piston rings and fresh bearings and hopefully call it a day and you can still S/C it!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Idea...why not do something other than power. Maybe a sequential gearbox, possibly with paddle shifters. Several different brands fit the S2000 and an alternative (if you have the right ECU) is to adapt a BMW M3 DCT gearbox; it would probably need a center console/floorpan modification to fit.). In addition to rapid shifts, it would enable full-time left foot braking.

In a related vein you could do a major shock upgrade (Penskes, Ohlins TTX, JRi), an aero upgrade, and/or a tire upgrade.

This could be accompanied by enhancements in data logging (maybe continuous tire temps and/or shock travel) that would let you dial in the suspension and aero. Izze racing, both website/blog and on Facebook, has lots of videos of the data available.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had this debate before and after looking at several other cars, I do feel that the S2000 is very much capable of everything I want out of a performance car. I would love a Lotus or Porsche, but the costs are significantly higher. With a supercharger and potentially 400+ crank horsepower, the power to weight is CRAZY! That's Dodge Hellcat territory. It is capable of handling as well as some of the best cars out there. As much as I think about other cars, the S2000 really has a sweet spot that no other car in its price range really occupies.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Or 3 if you count the S weather permitting...
F Toe L&R +0.0
Rear camber -2.40 L&R
R Toe in= 0.05 L&R
Tanabe Concept G dual exhaust,Berk HFC,CAI & Snorkel mod,gutted airbox+IATsensor position relocate +Cosworth oem filter,Mugen compliance/camber,JsRacing ETD...
Your camber settings make me think you drive in reverse around the track. Either that or it must understeer like a pig.

Back to topic - I felt the same as you recently, as particularly in tracks with some elevation more grunt up the hill would be cool. However, having driven more powerful, and faster LapTime cars, I need to remind myself they are often the same or less fun. It's hard to beat an S2000 (with all the suspension goodies) ability to drive to the track and then feel like a race car on it. Connected, communicative, sharp, responsive, challenging.

I've decided to add some NA power ( head work, cams, ITB's ) but more so I'm adding more tire and shedding a little weight.

Earlysport

Last edited by Earlysport; 07-06-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I just bought a HT and aero for the S2k, so I am sticking with my goals that I originally set for this car!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

^^^ Nope! It works very very well,
as its i a road only car

Last edited by noodels; 07-07-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Well I just bought a HT and aero for the S2k, so I am sticking with my goals that I originally set for this car!
Nice !!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Idea...why not do something other than power. Maybe a sequential gearbox, possibly with paddle shifters. Several different brands fit the S2000 and an alternative (if you have the right ECU) is to adapt a BMW M3 DCT gearbox; it would probably need a center console/floorpan modification to fit.). In addition to rapid shifts, it would enable full-time left foot braking.

In a related vein you could do a major shock upgrade (Penskes, Ohlins TTX, JRi), an aero upgrade, and/or a tire upgrade.

This could be accompanied by enhancements in data logging (maybe continuous tire temps and/or shock travel) that would let you dial in the suspension and aero. Izze racing, both website/blog and on Facebook, has lots of videos of the data available.
Are you an engineer by chance?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
Here's what I love about tracking a relatively stock S2000 - Blow something up and you're $5k away from being back on the road, and there are very few things that just fail for no reason. Screw up and stuff it into a wall, and you're probably no more than $20k away from getting back on the track.

C6 Z06, when I was looking into them a few years ago, they like to occasionally drop a valve into the engine, a new replacement is $20k, not sure about used. There was no preventative maintenance for it, just wait and see if it happens to you. If you stuff one into a wall, you're probably looking at $35k replacement again.

Tires are twice the cost of the S2 at least.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that those are the factors that went through my head.
GM Engineer here. Just a correction to your statement about the valves. That is a very well known issue at this point in the LS7 community. The valve guides themselves need to be checked and replaced at some point; this only effected a certain ranges of engine build dates. It's a one time thing similar to how S2K track people do valve retainers or oil banjos. It is not a failure point if it is taken care of.

Also, a full engine assembly will set you back anywhere between 10-12k: https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...03674/10002/-1

The largest difference is the consumables, tires, brakes, etc.

I've been thinking about this very thing as long as I've owned my S2K as a next step. This is a good convo!

Edit: Another option is finding a 08+ Z51 Corvette that is already prepped for track.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 07-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06