S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06

Old 07-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
Here's what I love about tracking a relatively stock S2000 - Blow something up and you're $5k away from being back on the road, and there are very few things that just fail for no reason. Screw up and stuff it into a wall, and you're probably no more than $20k away from getting back on the track.

C6 Z06, when I was looking into them a few years ago, they like to occasionally drop a valve into the engine, a new replacement is $20k, not sure about used. There was no preventative maintenance for it, just wait and see if it happens to you. If you stuff one into a wall, you're probably looking at $35k replacement again.

Tires are twice the cost of the S2 at least.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that those are the factors that went through my head.
a new LS7 is 12k. besides that there's tons of shops that will sell you a built longblock for considerably less than 12k but will make more power than an LS7.

that being said, if this is gonna be strictly a track car or 80%+ track car, a C5 Z06 is prolly a better choice. its cheaper and lighter, but you do need to do some basic upgrades that you prolly don't on a C6. if you're set on a C6, you need to get a 2011+ or get the improvements GM made for track reliability, also available from the aftermarket for LG and such...
Old 07-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
a new LS7 is 12k. besides that there's tons of shops that will sell you a built longblock for considerably less than 12k but will make more power than an LS7.

that being said, if this is gonna be strictly a track car or 80%+ track car, a C5 Z06 is prolly a better choice. its cheaper and lighter, but you do need to do some basic upgrades that you prolly don't on a C6. if you're set on a C6, you need to get a 2011+ or get the improvements GM made for track reliability, also available from the aftermarket for LG and such...
As I said it's been several years since I looked into it. Chevy's site says the LS7 has just been reduced by several thousand. I'm pretty confident it was $20k back when I was looking.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cracknut
I had the 2006 C6 Z06 listed below for about 6 months and the previous owner did all the reliability upgrades (including the oiling system and valves/springs). They are listed in the post.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mans-blue.html

It was fast as f**k and a blast to drive but like Ian said it is not a precision tool. I've raced an S2k for 7 years and picked up a stock 2009 Cayman S in middle of 2017. Despite the power deficit and smaller tires I was faster around any autoX track in the Cayman. It has much better feedback and a more predictable breakaway characteristic even after I corner balanced the vette.

For sure there are ppl out there that know how to tune the suspension on a Z06 to demolish a turbo S2k (or a Cayman S) but I wasn't interested in doing that work. Plus the seats are crap, the shifter is meh, the interior rattles, etc.

so you like the Cayman S better? I considered a Cayman S, but felt like the power/weight was similar enough to what I have now that it wouldn’t be a whole lot different. I am pretty certain I am faster than a stock Cayman S around any track I frequent or I haven’t come across a comparable driver.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Get a low mileage engine.<that burns less oil >04MY>
test & have faith in it.
& SC
Rebuild old when funds allow, replace internals to oem spec if possible. oem
or keep for spares .
A s/h crank for example is going up in price.<well mine is>
or sell old engine.
or
Drink some beer ..=
All can change overnight
Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same dilemma, but with a healthy engine. I heavily considered a z06 but the cost of consumables made my decision, we have a short track season here in Seattle that only lasts about 6 months at the most, I try to do 8 -10 events per year and the cost of consumable between the z06 and an FI s2000 is staggering, I can make a whole season or damn close to it on one set of NT01s, and they are only $800 delivered, for a z06 they seem to last half that or less, and cost twice as much. It wasn't worth it in my eyes. I'll add one to the stable for a fun street car at some point but it won't be my primary track rig.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

You have no idea how many times I have changed my mind, lol. I really don’t think I can sell the S2k, I just have way too much sweat and blood into it. So I guess I figure out my options with that! Maybe buy a different dd.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 PM

I have 2 dd
Old 07-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Or 3 if you count the S weather permitting,..
Old 07-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
so you like the Cayman S better? I considered a Cayman S, but felt like the power/weight was similar enough to what I have now that it wouldn’t be a whole lot different. I am pretty certain I am faster than a stock Cayman S around any track I frequent or I haven’t come across a comparable driver.
Yes, much better. However, I'm not really going to track the Cayman much since I have the racecar. Only mods are Girodisc 2pc rotors and OZ wheels. Factory performance options are PASM and sport-chrono. Wish it had the LSD since that's stupid money to add, but the sport-chrono option helps some by braking the inside wheel. That's why I got rear 2pc rotors.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cracknut
Yes, much better. However, I'm not really going to track the Cayman much since I have the racecar. Only mods are Girodisc 2pc rotors and OZ wheels. Factory performance options are PASM and sport-chrono. Wish it had the LSD since that's stupid money to add, but the sport-chrono option helps some by braking the inside wheel. That's why I got rear 2pc rotors.
Does the Cayman have paddle shifting PDK? That would make left foot braking a lot easier!

Quick Reply: Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06