S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06

Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

There's a Spoon short block that's been FS for months for $5800 shipped CONUS. Considering a new OEM short block are no longer available and street price is about $7500.

Keep tracking the S
Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthre...1182140&page=7

Link to Spoon block ad. Boom.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

[left]
Originally Posted by Mrsideways
I just picked up a C5 Z06 with 32k miles and most of the reliable stuff done for track already ..... talk about bang for the buck. It badly needed brakes and a seat (of which i did). Gonna run it in SCCA Time trail nationals and sell one of my 2 track cars after that. But this thing sucks to drive on the street but hot damn it's good once you close the visor on the helmet. It's not a precision tool like the S2000. It's more like a sledge hammer. But it's really enjoyable and puts in similar lap times to a K swapped S2000 with Huge wheels and tons of aero.... but the Z06 is stock. something to be said for that. It's also stupid easy to work on for the few things I've had to do.
We've talked so you know my opinion. I think the guy with the K swap and the guy with the F24 are telling you the same thing
Old 07-04-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
You have no idea how many times I have changed my mind, lol. I really don’t think I can sell the S2k, I just have way too much sweat and blood into it. So I guess I figure out my options with that! Maybe buy a different dd.
Buying another DD could be a good idea but let me tell you that the S2k took the high road when I got my C63. Its tough to balance attention between two awesome cars... Its like having multiple girlfriends, hahaha!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles

I don’t think that will get me what I am after. $5800 + rebuilding my head is going to be $7800 to not gain much.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm trying to follow...but it is unclear, at least to me, if the discussion is about street driven cars with a roll bar that also tracked, or dedicated track cars with a cage. Could someone please clarify?

A sidebar: is the discussion assuming pump gas or E85/C85? The C6Z06 is 500hp, 11.5s@125mph car on pump gas with transmission and diff set for that power level.

A dropped valve quickly leads to a rod through the side of the block (valve head hammers piston to break, shrapnel travels through intake to other cylinders first, been there). It is less expensive to just have the engine rebuilt first. At that time performance improvements can be added.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:26 PM

If I sell the S2k and buy another car it will stay mostly stock (I.e no roll bar etc.). I think part of the itch I am trying to scratch is the S2k is only fun on the track now. I totally understand it isn’t “as safe” as my S2k, but I instruct from bone stock cars all the time. The idea would be I wouldn’t drive as hard as I do now, but yeah I understand that may only last so long. I am leaning towards just keeping the S2k, maybe grab a different dd.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If I sell the S2k and buy another car it will stay mostly stock (I.e no roll bar etc.). I think part of the itch I am trying to scratch is the S2k is only fun on the track now. I totally understand it isn’t “as safe” as my S2k, but I instruct from bone stock cars all the time. The idea would be I wouldn’t drive as hard as I do now, but yeah I understand that may only last so long. I am leaning towards just keeping the S2k, maybe grab a different dd.
What do the folks on the Corvette forums say?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 PM

I don't think that will get me what I am after. $5800 + rebuilding my head is going to be $7800 to not gain much.
Sure it would, power without reliability is not worth much. My understanding of the Spoon block is they blueprint it and using grade A OEM parts.

My own personal thought on the S is having a reliable engine and drive train. All else, improve handling, braking, add aero and reduce weight.

I'd rather not waste time and out engineer what Honda did for the engine and risk reliability.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by manystyles
Sure it would, power without reliability is not worth much. My understanding of the Spoon block is they blueprint it and using grade A OEM parts.

My own personal thought on the S is having a reliable engine and drive train. All else, improve handling, braking, add aero and reduce weight.

I'd rather not waste time and out engineer what Honda did for the engine and risk reliability.
I think the right engine builder could do quite a bit for $7800 and still keep this engine reliable. Plus if it fails you can take it back to the builder. If a Spoon engine fails who do you go back to? If that block was less expensive I would possibly consider it.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or build my track S2k or buy a C6 Z06