S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tall Man - Safety Compromise - Seats & Roll Bar

Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Q1: A lot of others have already shared there thoughts here, but this choice is strictly up to you, your priorities, and your spot in life. Where are you more likely to need the safety equipment? How bad will it be if you need the safety equipment and don't have it?
Q2: I`m 6'-1" 210lb and had a hard time finding a seat. Ultimately I picked up an OMP-ARS. The shoulder straps properly pass through the openings and land on my shoulders, without touching the seat, but it's close. It was tough to fit them in the car and I lost access to the center console. I recently sat in a Sparco QRT and found it to have similar shoulder holes and I think it's skinnier in width, so it might preserve access to the center console. It was also more comfortable. I also liked the Sparco Evo2. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a sparco dealer in the North East so I didn't realize I liked the Sparcos until it was too late. I found the Cobra brand seats rolled my shoulders forward too much. Ultimately, I think its important to find seats and sit in them before you buy them.
If you don't have a local motorsports shop, spend some time at your next track day asking everybody to sit in their seats. As you`re already aware, check for comfort and for the location of the shoulder holes.
Q3: At 6'-1" I don't love the angles of my shoulder belts to the lowered harness bars and my seat is as low as it could possibly be/scraping on the floor pan. I`m not sure how much higher the alternate bar location is, but it's worth reaching out to hard dog to ask them about it. I`m thinking about reaching out to a rollcage shop to have my bar relocated up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll check out the OMP-ARS and Sparco QRT. Evo2 sounds like a tight fit even for the 175lb guys?!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ottawas2000guy
Thanks for the thoughtful reply as usual Nate. I tend to agree with you, that there is more likely to be a serious incident on track, and therefore I was heavily leaning towards going roll bar, harness, hans. My pole positions are currently installed on PCI mounts, with the oem seatbelts ran properly using the same setup as Andrew Hake. So I'll continue with that setup even with the rollbar/harness for street driving.

Thanks for your comment re: high harness bar. It did appear in photos that it might end up too high even with the right seat for me. Any tips on seats that fit with high harness holes?
Yeah, I'm fairly certain the "high" harness bar (the one that preserves interior) will be too high regardless. However, if you call Bethania Garage (the Hard Dog people) they can locate the regular (lower) harness bar at whatever height you need. So it might make sense to get the seats in first, determine what height that puts your shoulders at, and see if it would make sense to put the bar slightly higher than normal. Keep in mind though that it's ok for shoulder harness belts to run downward from your shoulders/hans to the harness bar at a slight angle. Up to 20 degrees is fine iirc. That bit of angle might help with your seat holes if they're close too. (Although also remember the hans will add a bit of height to your shoulders.)

No idea re seats—I run Sparco Pro 2000s and they might work. The holes are large but not especially high. Looking up dimensions online is a good idea though; you could compare with the dimensions of your PP, and where your shoulders are vs the holes on it.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had someone tell me the stock 3-point harness' loose--let you flop around like a ragdoll lack of security--was a safety feature.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
I had someone tell me the stock 3-point harness' loose--let you flop around like a ragdoll lack of security--was a safety feature.
Hah. Well I guess without a roll bar it might be beneficial in a rollover .
Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ottawas2000guy
Hah. Well I guess without a roll bar it might be beneficial in a rollover .
That's true. (Although obviously wouldn't be exactly _fun_.) Also not good to have your body held motionless with no hans to stop head snapping forward. Of course roll bar, helmet, 6/7 point harness & hans is much better!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

with a oem seat belt you're going to hit your head on the roll bar unless you have a huge seat or a halo
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
with a oem seat belt you're going to hit your head on the roll bar unless you have a huge seat or a halo
Certainly a risk, especially for you taller guys (which also means seat further back). Is the risk of hitting a (hopefully padded) bar with your head greater or less than the risk of breaking your neck with a harness but no hans? I don't know.

Like the op said, if you want a dual purpose car, there will be tradeoffs. Personally I'd rather maximize safety on track if I were doing several a year or more and pushing hard. Then drive alertly and defensively on the street. Obviously can't control other drivers to eliminate risk completely, but a lot of accidents can be avoided by taking care, and saving the hooning for the track.
The following users liked this post:
ottawas2000guy (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Stock with a lowered mount on the factory seat or go full trackmod.
My BYS mounts give an extra inch of lowering but your helmet will still be visibly above the OEM hoop plastics.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by j0oftheworld
Stock with a lowered mount on the factory seat or go full trackmod.
My BYS mounts give an extra inch of lowering but your helmet will still be visibly above the OEM hoop plastics.
Honestly, this is why I put the recaro pole positions in. I dropped my seating position probably 3" from stock when sitting without seat bottom cushion. I feel much safer that way.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, it's tough. I run more than you/ year but I'm staying "street" w. my car.

Quick Reply: Tall Man - Safety Compromise - Seats & Roll Bar