S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein RS Coilovers

Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Tein RS Coilovers

I had this posted in the suspension sub-forum, but have gotten zero replies. I am moving it here, because I am looking for responses, and more specifically, those that track these coilovers.

So I use my S2000 as a DD, and will be tracking the car 4-5 times a year. Roads in AZ are fairly smooth, just a lot of cracks and joints on the highways, but its not bumpy.

I have come across a set of used Tein RS, for around $1200. They have been off a car for the last 4 years collecting dust. I have been doing my research on the Tein RS and have not had much luck. Most posts are FS threads. From what I did read they were a good performing coilover, but tricky to get dialed in.

I was pretty dead set on buying the GtMotoring Challenge Comp + coilovers, but still considering a set of KW V3's, and maybe even using my contacts at Penske to build me something. However I really do not want to be spending the $1,800 plus right now for the KW and Penske's. I want to spend my money on a good solid coilover, that I can tune, and I really just want to get out there and run, while continuing to mod the rest of the car. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the matter? I have done a bit of a pros and cons to each coilover, but that has not helped me pick a winner. Perhaps later today I will add my pros/cons list and experienced owners can help me to develop that list further.

My cars mods, plus future mods.

225/255 Dunlop Star Specs, oem AP2 V1 wheels----will go non-staggered 255's within a year
-1.7 front camber, 0 front toe/-2.4 rear camber, .30 toe in
Hawk HP+ pads F&R, braided lines, ATE fluid
Intake, header back exhaust

So my car is pretty stock for now, but I will continue to make mods to suit my DD needs and track day needs. The car is still split duties, and I feel that with todays products, it is possible to build a great weekend warrior, and still keep it DD practical.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine for years. I track mine using aftermarket sways to try to compensate for the 10k springs because I didn't want a terribly jarring ride. I love them...the ride quality and adjustability is great. There's a big difference between these the lower end Teins. They are all aluminum, have external reservoirs, pillow balls, and are quite customizable/adjustable. Beware, more adjustment is good and bad. Good because you can manipulate the handling of the car. Bad because you can make silly mistakes that can cascade into bigger problems.

For example, I accidentally turned the rebound all the way down on one of my shocks last week. The car felt like total hell at an auto-x and I was ready to realign it and have the shocks rebuilt until I realized my error. Stupid mistake...yes...but wouldn't have happened if I wasn't dicking around with loads of knobs.

I think I may have them revalved to a 12k or 14k over the off-season but overall, I love them. How many miles on the set you are considering? If they are low mileage, I don't see why not...I'd jump on them....not biased or anything, though...lol
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the SRCs replace the RS?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,May 19 2010, 12:26 PM
I have had mine for years. I track mine using aftermarket sways to try to compensate for the 10k springs because I didn't want a terribly jarring ride.
FYI, ride quality is determined by shock valving, not spring rate, assuming the spring rate allows for some movement.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by modMonkey,May 19 2010, 02:38 PM
Did the SRCs replace the RS?
Yeah. The SRC has a more aggressive spring rate/valving and is also EDFC compatible. They are (obviously) also all aluminum, double adjustable, and have the pillow balls.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by robinson,May 19 2010, 02:44 PM
FYI, ride quality is determined by shock valving, not spring rate, assuming the spring rate allows for some movement.
Right, but to change my springs past a 12k (one of the options on the RS) I would have had to revalve my shocks...altering ride quality.

It wasn't determined until years after I bought my shocks that 10k springs are way too soft for an ideal track setup. I think I should have chosen to go a bit more aggressive ultimately, but that's always an option once it's time to rebuild them. Back in the day, I thought I wanted more compromise in my car than I do now...it's evolved as I've paid off the car. Ah well...

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Great input CourageOO7. I am still trying to get some info from the local owner on mileage, and how old they are. I know they are using the 10K springs.

Do you find yourself, or did you find yourself changing the settings to adjust for track duties and DD? How are they on the street?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k,May 19 2010, 03:08 PM
Great input CourageOO7. I am still trying to get some info from the local owner on mileage, and how old they are. I know they are using the 10K springs.

Do you find yourself, or did you find yourself changing the settings to adjust for track duties and DD? How are they on the street?
They were a really good compromise for the occasional HPDE/SCCA PDX'r and street use.

The ride quality was great. If you really dig you can find threads from years ago with the suspension setting people used with these coilovers.

I switched to a much more aggressive wheel/tire combo that would be a poor example of what you want to set your car at. What I can say is that the adjustments make a huge difference in vehicle dynamics. I read some articles in Grassroots Motorsports and played with my suspension settings at local auto-x's before I took them to the track. That way I was in the ball park when I coughed up the dough for a PDX or something.

They really were a high quality product a few years ago...I think you will be happy with them. If they are low mileage, don't think twice. If they have like 70k miles on them, maybe factor in the cost to overhaul them before making him an offer. They can be overhauled at Tein USA for $180/shock or so...

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks. I have been doing reasearch and have struggled to find posts like you mentioned. What is your new setup? I do plan on running non-staggered and some areo in the future, probably in the near future(2-3) years sticking with street tires like the Dunlop Star Specs.

I am very familiar and comfortable with shock settings. I was a race engineer for about 8 years, and worked Penske Racing Shocks as a design engineer.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k,May 19 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I have been doing reasearch and have struggled to find posts like you mentioned. What is your new setup? I do plan on running non-staggered and some areo in the future, probably in the near future(2-3) years sticking with street tires like the Dunlop Star Specs.

I am very familiar and comfortable with shock settings. I was a race engineer for about 8 years, and worked Penske Racing Shocks as a design engineer.
Wow. Cool jobs.

Running CCW's 18*10 all around...265's in front, 295's rear, Comptech sways, and a good alignment with some negative camber.
Tires are Advan AD08's

Quick Reply: Tein RS Coilovers