S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein SRC's compared

Old 05-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

OP, curious if you've tried any other setups as well?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

This has been my big reservation with the SRCs as well I have to say. (I own Evasive Spec SRCs but have been using my Ohlins DFV to start). Especially when I have a shop like PSI local that can really help me dial in a setup compared to the black box that Tein seems to be. The build quality on the SRC is excellent though. I love their simple piggyback design.

You have sort of confirmed my fears that the SRCs are valved in a way that don't leave much room for adjustment unless you are going for even stiffer spring rates. I have been planning to try them out with softer springs so I may just end up moving on and saving up for the glorious TTX.

All this said though. There are a huge amount drivers who consistently turn in incredible lap times on the normal SRCs and Evasive SRCs without any behavior that is too dramatic, so each driver is definitely going to prefer different setups. I don't think the SRCs ever really became THE shocks to use, they have just always been a good value for money.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Now, go try out KW Clubsports and Eibach Multi Pro R2s and give us a comparison report on those
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
OP, curious if you've tried any other setups as well?
On the S2000 I ran in stock class for 2 years (about 40 events) which basically means OEM springs/shocks only, and then jumped right to the SRC's. But if I go to a 3rd setup ill likely do a similar writeup.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaximumAttack
Nice. Now, go try out KW Clubsports and Eibach Multi Pro R2s and give us a comparison report on those
If youre going to send me the shocks and pay for the dyno time Ill be happy to oblige
Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
I would be less hesitant about the state of these shocks if Tein allowed 3rd parties to purchase parts for re-valving. Honestly from a component perspective they are nice shocks. Externally they check all the boxes, but the state of manufacturer support makes them a difficult sell as a long term platform.
What parts needed for revalve they don't want to sell?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
This has been my big reservation with the SRCs as well I have to say. (I own Evasive Spec SRCs but have been using my Ohlins DFV to start). Especially when I have a shop like PSI local that can really help me dial in a setup compared to the black box that Tein seems to be. The build quality on the SRC is excellent though. I love their simple piggyback design.

You have sort of confirmed my fears that the SRCs are valved in a way that don't leave much room for adjustment unless you are going for even stiffer spring rates. I have been planning to try them out with softer springs so I may just end up moving on and saving up for the glorious TTX.

All this said though. There are a huge amount drivers who consistently turn in incredible lap times on the normal SRCs and Evasive SRCs without any behavior that is too dramatic, so each driver is definitely going to prefer different setups. I don't think the SRCs ever really became THE shocks to use, they have just always been a good value for money.
Oh I wont at all dispute the regularity with which SRC's are used to set very fast lap times, with one exception, I am the only person I know in the S2K challenge that was using the evasive ones. Ive ridden with most of the other really fast challenge drivers on SRC's, CSG spec SRC's, Eibach R2's, KW's and HKS shocks and for the most part they all work pretty well, but I never had any of them feel like the evasives did. This is really what drove all the research. I wanted to know why I could not get my shocks to work as well as many of the other competitors.

As far as one brand vs another, what this has really shown me is that the brands are really less relevant than finding local talent that can work with you on the shock platform you choose. Realistically an off the shelf Bilstein damper can be made to work just as well as an ultra high end shock (see fatcat motorsports) if the appropriate amount of R&D is put into it. In most adjustable shocks there is far more room to go wrong than right, and the majority of us that DON'T have a race engineer on standby doing telemetry analysis to really tune the shock to each track so we really just need a set of shocks set to fast-enough. Its far too easy to get lost in the minutia of the setup, and forget to drive.

My wake up call was when I got out of my S2000 with the evasive shocks which I was fighting to control, and got into my 24 hours of lemons car and EASILY matched my S2000 laptimes with less effort, and then went faster....in my lemons car. This tells me something is VERY wrong. Unfortunately most don't get the benefit of being able to hop between cars for perspective like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TWF
Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle' timestamp='1399685438' post='23153043

I would be less hesitant about the state of these shocks if Tein allowed 3rd parties to purchase parts for re-valving. Honestly from a component perspective they are nice shocks. Externally they check all the boxes, but the state of manufacturer support makes them a difficult sell as a long term platform.
What parts needed for revalve they don't want to sell?
Tein will not sell any parts, valves, shims, etc, nor any of the tooling needed to work on their shocks.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear that they were valved extremely stiff. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring. But again I suppose each drivers feedback is swayed by everyone else's. Maybe I will take my Evasive Specs to PSI to have them dyno'd to see if they are valved similarly to yours.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar? It seems you were successful having Tein revalve them to a setup you were happy with so that is definitely a good thing.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither will KW
There is always way around it. I bet valves are sourced from one of the big suspension company over there, like Mugen's using showa valves.

Quick Reply: Tein SRC's compared