S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein SRC's compared

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar.
I am the original owner. I had them inspected by tein once during the months of tuning when I suspected something was amiss.

If it was a problem with them being valved incorrectly I don't suspect all 4 of them would have come up in such tight tolerances during the initial dynos. Guy actually commented that this was the most consistent performance he had seen out of any Tein shocks he had worked with.

I had appealed to Evasive once for some suggestions before I embarked on this project but they never released any dynos and just suggested I set them to 8/8 front and rear, which obviously from the dynos could not have accomplished what I wanted.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1399694294' post='23153194
Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar.
I am the original owner. I had them inspected by tein once during the months of tuning when I suspected something was amiss.

If it was a problem with them being valved incorrectly I don't suspect all 4 of them would have come up in such tight tolerances during the initial dynos. Guy actually commented that this was the most consistent performance he had seen out of any Tein shocks he had worked with.

I had appealed to Evasive once for some suggestions before I embarked on this project but they never released any dynos and just suggested I set them to 8/8 front and rear, which obviously from the dynos could not have accomplished what I wanted.
Ahh good to know that you had all 4 dyno'd. I actually didn't realize that Tein would let you do full on custom valving like this. I thought they just stuck to their own available specs so I am happy to hear that.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Ahh good to know that you had all 4 dyno'd.
For the final tune after re-valve all 4 corners are actually on different settings to get the same dyno curves
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear that they were valved extremely stiff. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring. But again I suppose each drivers feedback is swayed by everyone else's. Maybe I will take my Evasive Specs to PSI to have them dyno'd to see if they are valved similarly to yours.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar? It seems you were successful having Tein revalve them to a setup you were happy with so that is definitely a good thing.

Not true. Talk to a few people at t hill aka ivan and he will tell you he is having trouble setting up his suspension

I had the r2 and after countless track days of fiddling. I don't have them anymore
Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by boyguan
Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear that they were valved extremely stiff. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring. But again I suppose each drivers feedback is swayed by everyone else's. Maybe I will take my Evasive Specs to PSI to have them dyno'd to see if they are valved similarly to yours.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar? It seems you were successful having Tein revalve them to a setup you were happy with so that is definitely a good thing.

Not true. Talk to a few people at t hill aka ivan and he will tell you he is having trouble setting up his suspension

I had the r2 and after countless track days of fiddling. I don't have them anymore
Everyone's results will vary. I am not sure who Ivan is. Maxrev has been using the R2s for years now with great success. I am not sure if he is using the off the shelf Evasive valving though and his car is a very different setup to yours.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1399695108' post='23153211

Ahh good to know that you had all 4 dyno'd.
For the final tune after re-valve all 4 corners are actually on different settings to get the same dyno curves
Not so good to know. haha. Why do you suspect that was necessary?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 PM

Not so certain why, could be anything but Ill refrain from speculation causing misinformation.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1399695665' post='23153219

Not so certain why, could be anything but Ill refrain from speculation causing misinformation.
Good call. Thanks again for the post. If I get a chance to have mine dyno'd I will definitely share my results as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Yeah, lots of fast guys here in SoCal, it only makes me wonder how much faster they'd be with better setups.

I've always been hesitant about Tein, the R2s, and KWs.

I've been telling myself to save for AST, JRZ, Penskes, or Ohlins.

Or, I might just go the cheap route, get some Koni's and send them off to Guy to have them dynoed and re-valved for my intended use when the time comes.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boyguan

I believe Edwin drove Ivan's car at T-hill earlier this year and IIRC he said the car was borderline un-drivable on brand new EVS spec SRCs. Ill let him elaborate more on it if he has time to read this but I think the was saying the suspension seemed to be skipping and shocking the tire even on Thunderhill's relatively smooth surface. He's had his standard SRCs for at least 4 or so years by now and it sounded like they were like a fine wine… getting better with age since they became more compliant.

Big thanks to anorexicpoodle for taking the time and effort to do this.

Quick Reply: Tein SRC's compared