S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein SRC's compared

Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle' timestamp='1399695010' post='23153209
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1399694294' post='23153194']
Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar.
I am the original owner. I had them inspected by tein once during the months of tuning when I suspected something was amiss.

If it was a problem with them being valved incorrectly I don't suspect all 4 of them would have come up in such tight tolerances during the initial dynos. Guy actually commented that this was the most consistent performance he had seen out of any Tein shocks he had worked with.

I had appealed to Evasive once for some suggestions before I embarked on this project but they never released any dynos and just suggested I set them to 8/8 front and rear, which obviously from the dynos could not have accomplished what I wanted.
Ahh good to know that you had all 4 dyno'd. I actually didn't realize that Tein would let you do full on custom valving like this. I thought they just stuck to their own available specs so I am happy to hear that.
[/quote]

It's not the cheapest, but Tein will custom valve and/or service every damper they have stateside.

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1399695665' post='23153219

Not so good to know. haha. Why do you suspect that was necessary?
Not so certain why, could be anything but Ill refrain from speculation causing misinformation.
I can confirm why. Knowing that they would be going straight to a dyno after the revalve, each damper was built slightly different to see what range of adjustment would be available for each corner, particularly since the front and rear construction is not identical. The goal was to give you the largest range of adjustment possible without going out of the specified figures. It'll also, in the long run, show which corner wears the best, since this was, quite literally, a completely custom spec.

Were this to be done again, all 4 would come out identically, based on the setting that you like best.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Originally Posted by boyguan' timestamp='1399695312' post='23153213
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1399694294' post='23153194']
Do you thin it was possible your Evasive Specs were valved incorrectly? Were you the original owner? Most people seem to say that the Evasive specs are more compliant than the standard SRC so that is definitely interesting to hear that they were valved extremely stiff. A friend of mine who has been using the standard SRCs for many years has tried out a similarly prepped car with the Evasive Spec and said he felt they were noticeably more compliant and more confidence inspiring. But again I suppose each drivers feedback is swayed by everyone else's. Maybe I will take my Evasive Specs to PSI to have them dyno'd to see if they are valved similarly to yours.

Could be worth talking to Evasive to see if your dyno plots match theirs or are similar? It seems you were successful having Tein revalve them to a setup you were happy with so that is definitely a good thing.

Not true. Talk to a few people at t hill aka ivan and he will tell you he is having trouble setting up his suspension

I had the r2 and after countless track days of fiddling. I don't have them anymore
I believe Edwin drove Ivan's car at T-hill earlier this year and IIRC he said the car was borderline un-drivable on brand new EVS spec SRCs. Ill let him elaborate more on it if he has time to read this but I think the was saying the suspension seemed to be skipping and shocking the tire even on Thunderhill's relatively smooth surface. He's had his standard SRCs for at least 4 or so years by now and it sounded like they were like a fine wine… getting better with age since they became more compliant.

Big thanks to anorexicpoodle for taking the time and effort to do this.
[/quote]

Thanks anorexicpoodle for doing this review. Very insightful and great information for the community!

Matt is right, I did drive Ivans car at T-hill earlier this year and the car was borderline undriveable on brand new evasive spec SRCs. Ivans car was running (at the time i drove it) 255/275 BFgoodrich R1 with EVS SRCs. His car is a CR model utilizing factory aero. The SRC's out of the box are very stiff making the car very non-compliant on even some of the smoothest tracks I have been to. The car was skipping a lot during mid corner, I could not simply take a turn and have the weight settle, and power out. The rear was constantly dancing around. Ive been working with Ivan to get his car easier to handle with just the shock settings and he likes the car when the settings are turned towards very soft.

I have had countless miles logged on the road, track, and canyon driving as well and they feel great. These shocks do seem to get better with age but by all means that doesn't mean its a good thing nor does it mean that's how it should be.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love that write up OP, nice work. Makes me more scared of aftermarket, haha. Still loving my CR set up.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Love that write up OP, nice work. Makes me more scared of aftermarket, haha. Still loving my CR set up.
I don't think you should be scared of aftermarket. The lesson to take away here is when you're ready to go into aftermarket shocks find a tuner you want to work with and use shocks they can work on and recommend. This ensures you get a result you like since the tuner can build them to do anything you need. Also the bigger dollar shocks aren't always the best solution.

Spend your money on R&D not brand and you will be happier in the end.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 557 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
I don't think you should be scared of aftermarket. The lesson to take away here is when you're ready to go into aftermarket shocks find a tuner you want to work with and use shocks they can work on and recommend. This ensures you get a result you like since the tuner can build them to do anything you need. Also the bigger dollar shocks aren't always the best solution.

I kind of want to get that PSS9 setup on the R&C classifieds right now and have it sent out to Guy. I know he's setup bilsteins PSS9s before for track use and can definitely tune/re-valve that shock for our chassis.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I've talked to Guy before about redoing a PSS9 setup. I want to say it was going to be around $800 for the full revalve but considering you can get used PSS9s for under $1000 that still gives you a hell of a shock for under $2000. I've still considered doing this sometimes.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle' timestamp='1399787637' post='23154192

I kind of want to get that PSS9 setup on the R&C classifieds right now and have it sent out to Guy. I know he's setup bilsteins PSS9s before for track use and can definitely tune/re-valve that shock for our chassis.

Do it!!!!

Ryan - how much was the revalve from Tein? You mentioned it was expensive, I'm just curious how much it was.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Well, .....not to derail this thread, but Holla at a brotha if those jrz or volks need to leave.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

The revalve prices are on teins site but expect to come in just under 1k. About 175 a corner plus parts.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone know how to subscribe to a thread without commenting?

.... subscribed.

Quick Reply: Tein SRC's compared