S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Testing out G-loc brake pads

Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Talk to Danny at G Loc but I think u already did?.
I did, and he couldn't get anymore in depth then saying that this is what G-loc recommended to him having a similar set up as mine as far as tire stagger and brakes. I was hoping to get some technical understanding on how this conclusion was made.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

The one time I decided to run DTC-70 front and rear, it made braking deep really, really hairy. I had to dial back my brake points because if I applied too much brake force, the rear wheels would lose grip, rear ABS would pulse, and funnily enough front pad wear was increased dramatically. You absolutely should be running a staggered pad compound with a square or large tire setup. When I was new to tracking my car, and was running HP+, this wasn't an issue because I would overheat the pad compound long before I ran into bias issues. HP+ are NOT track pads, and are not engineered to withstand the heat associated with repeated hard stops.

My car currently is using the stock brakes, and has G-Loc R16s in the front and R10s in the rear, using 200TW street tires (255 square setup) with around 220whp. I will be testing this setup at hot ass Sebring in July, so I guess we'll see how well G-Locs handle the heat. Most Spec Miata guys I know are using these pads and absolutely love them.

Also, an important distinction: G-Loc is NOT Carbotech. The two are completely different companies. Yes, Danny Puskar helped start and worked for Carbotech. Yes, he left and started G-Loc. Yes, the compounds may have been similar at first. They are completely different compounds now, as confirmed by Danny, and the general consensus is they're better in every way that what Carbotech offers.

Last edited by Ricky_Flowers_; 06-12-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Also, an important distinction: G-Loc is NOT Carbotech. The two are completely different companies. Yes, Danny Puskar helped start and worked for Carbotech. Yes, he left and started G-Loc. Yes, the compounds may have been similar at first. They are completely different compounds now, as confirmed by Danny, and the general consensus is they're better in every way that what Carbotech offers.
Fair enough, I'll retract what I said last page and I'll be giving GLoc a shot after I kill off my Hawks.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly wat I wanted to explain but rob explains it better.

When i I talk to Danny he also recommended me the r12 in the rear and nothing higher.

Speed acadamy also staggers their pads on their s2000 and they talk about it too. Maybe u can check out that episode.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chibo
Fair enough, I'll retract what I said last page and I'll be giving GLoc a shot after I kill off my Hawks.

think about it. The main engineer and developer leaves carbotech and makes his own company.

Obviously he would improve on the compounds of his rivals especially if he made them for the rivals.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used G-LOC R18 F/R and R16 F/R.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been running a 10/8 setup and have zero complaints. They have worked great and have tons of life after 3 track days. The only thing that I would maybe want is a bit more modulation, I seem to overslow the car a bit when really trying to dial in my braking.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Got the tranny fixed. I will be testing out the r18 at buttonwillow with vtec club in 2 weeks.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I have been running a 10/8 setup and have zero complaints. They have worked great and have tons of life after 3 track days. The only thing that I would maybe want is a bit more modulation, I seem to overslow the car a bit when really trying to dial in my braking.
I used to run the r6 for autocross and have noticed really high torque but zero modulation of the pedal. it was like an on off switch. We moved to ax6 from carbotech and that was a lot better in terms of modulation but not as high torque as the g-loc pads.

Running r16 and r12, do you guys get good pedal modulation? I ran r8 front and rear on my miata and noticed good pedal modulation. i am hoping the same for the s2000
Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Marloon

Running r16 and r12, do you guys get good pedal modulation? I ran r8 front and rear on my miata and noticed good pedal modulation. i am hoping the same for the s2000
I just ordered these for my Aug 5th track day, will report back.

Quick Reply: Testing out G-loc brake pads