S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   thread name changed to :RA-1 and MY04/05 wheels (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/thread-name-changed-ra-1-my04-05-wheels-243824/)

TubeDriver 10-20-2004 07:48 AM

thread name changed to :RA-1 and MY04/05 wheels

edit: changed this thread title from Beaverun/wet track to RA-1 and MY04/05 wheels since that is were this thread direction went.

I'll be at Beavrun and there is a possibility of light rain. I have RA-1s (worn to the wear bar height, basically 4 lines of tread showing) or pretty worn S02s (10k with some HPDE and autoX thrown in for good measure, still above the wear bars but it is close). Which do you think would be a better wet surface tire (not really interested in standing water performance since both of these tires really get scary in standing water)? Thanks.

mikegarrison 10-20-2004 07:58 AM

My vote would be to replace the S02s with S03s and use those. I tried that "I'll just use my S02s because they aren't all the way down to the wear bars" thing and put my car into a wall. Yes, it did involve standing water, but now that I am on S03s I like them better as all-around street tires anyway. Except they tramline more than the S02s did, but that's the only downside.

If you do track a full tread-depth S03 they will feel all sorts of squirmy under hard braking. But the car still stopped in a straight line, it just didn't feel good doing it.

TubeDriver 10-20-2004 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 20 2004, 10:58 AM
My vote would be to replace the S02s with S03s and use those. I tried that "I'll just use my S02s because they aren't all the way down to the wear bars" thing and put my car into a wall. Yes, it did involve standing water, but now that I am on S03s I like them better as all-around street tires anyway. Except they tramline more than the S02s did, but that's the only downside.

If you do track a full tread-depth S03 they will feel all sorts of squirmy under hard braking. But the car still stopped in a straight line, it just didn't feel good doing it.

That is not an option for this track day. Between the options I listed, what would you use (if I had time to get new tires I would just run unshaved RA-1s).

Triple-H 10-20-2004 08:19 AM

You do not want to put brand new S-03s on the car and go to the track. IMHO.

I drive about 80 miles to Watkins Glen, and then drive 350 miles at The Glen, then drive home again, and I have done this on RA-1s that are worn down to the 4 channels. I have also driven on S-02s that had more than 11,000 miles on them also in the rain there. I think in all honesty I prefer the RA-1s, but then again, you have to keep in mind The Glen is very hard on brakes, and this puts a LOT of heat into the tires, and, there is that little fact that I just love to drive in the rain. I go a bit slower but the car dances on the wet over the changes of pavement. Driving in the rain in my opinion is the fastest and best way to learn/discover if you are driving smooth.

Good luck making the call, and remember, have fun!

FF2Skip 10-20-2004 08:22 AM

Pete, perhaps you haven't checked lately, but the forecast has changed to partly cloudy both Sunday and Monday. Don't sweat it. It's only calling for r@!n on Saturday.

TubeDriver 10-20-2004 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 20 2004, 11:19 AM
You do not want to put brand new S-03s on the car and go to the track. IMHO.

I drive about 80 miles to Watkins Glen, and then drive 350 miles at The Glen, then drive home again, and I have done this on RA-1s that are worn down to the 4 channels. I have also driven on S-02s that had more than 11,000 miles on them also in the rain there. I think in all honesty I prefer the RA-1s, but then again, you have to keep in mind The Glen is very hard on brakes, and this puts a LOT of heat into the tires, and, there is that little fact that I just love to drive in the rain. I go a bit slower but the car dances on the wet over the changes of pavement. Driving in the rain in my opinion is the fastest and best way to learn/discover if you are driving smooth.

Good luck making the call, and remember, have fun!

Thanks for the input. Yea, I am leaning towards the RA-1s too. I have a lot of autoX experience in the rain and the RA-1s grip surprisingly well (except if you hit standing water) and I am getting to the point were I am pretty smooth and consistent (.2 to .3 tenths differnces in times, no spins etc.). I also seem to remember that the S02s were really getting looose a lot (wet or dry) when I last had them on my car. I kind of like driving in the rain too, it is like mountain biking in the dark with lights, it forces you to use proper technique. But, I have a longer drive 275 miles up to Beavrun, a 130 mile fun street drive and than the HPDE followed by a 275 mile drive back. My tires are going to be taking a beating, I am trying to get one more autoX after this drive/HPDE weekend.

So so far, one vote for RA-1s.

TubeDriver 10-20-2004 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Oct 20 2004, 11:22 AM
Pete, perhaps you haven't checked lately, but the forecast has changed to partly cloudy both Sunday and Monday. Don't sweat it. It's only calling for r@!n on Saturday.

Good news. It is supposed to be wet on Thursday morning too for the drive up. I guess I am just wanting to be lazy, leave my RA-1s on and drive them all weekend.

Triple-H 10-20-2004 09:01 AM

:thinker:
275 + 130 + 275 = 680 miles

I now have to ask how much negative camber have you got dialed in front & rear? I'm sporting a lot on My Spa and I find the street driving is really making itself known on the inner edge of the tire. I'm not saying don't do the RA-1s, I'm just saying be aware you may see some increased wear on the inner edge due to street driving and negative camber.

TubeDriver 10-20-2004 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 20 2004, 12:01 PM
:thinker:
275 + 130 + 275 = 680 miles

I now have to ask how much negative camber have you got dialed in front & rear? I'm sporting a lot on My Spa and I find the street driving is really making itself known on the inner edge of the tire. I'm not saying don't do the RA-1s, I'm just saying be aware you may see some increased wear on the inner edge due to street driving and negative camber.

I have even wear (or even a little bit more outside edge wear). I think that after a bunch of road miles I had slightly more inside wear but every autoX balances things out again :) I only run about -1.9 to -2.0 degrees on the rear tires. Assuming even wear, I think I should be able to get 700 highway miles and a moderately paced single HPDE out of them, what do you think?

gfacter 10-20-2004 12:03 PM

Last Friday with rain in the forecast I left the RA'1s at home and drove on the SO2's.

Of course it was dry all day :banghead:

Bring the RA'1s