S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

A Track Braking Review of 2015

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Performance Friction 97 pads, PFC 0537.97.14.44 fit perfectly without any sanding needed at all. Very pleased about this.

I did 4 days at VIR in Nov, Full Course. It did rain 2 out of the 4 days but I got some good runs in during those 4 days. Pad wear and rotor wear was very minimal. I am running the StopTech BBK in the front. Square setup with 255 NT-01s. Hit 125 MPH on the back Straight.
Braking felt really good with the StopTechs in the front and the Urge in the back. Good brake balance on wet, super wet, and perfectly dry. No Fade. Actually the brakes were so good it took me a while to get fully adjusted to the brakes. I was just not use to being able to brake so late and so consistently that I was worried that the brakes would start to give out eventually. Of course they never did and I was very happy to stop worrying about braking.

All in all i'm very happy. The kit is not cheap but the pad wear and the rotor wear is very low. The materials and craftsmanship are top notch. The rear wheel hubs definitely felt cooler and not crazy hot as expected.
The Urge Rear Rotors are the best option for longevity, consistent braking, and reducing heat on wheel hubs.

I'll report back with more data as the 2016 Track Season progresses.

And of course a big benefit is working with a very professional and customer service focused company like Urge. Thanks Patrick.
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (05-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Over 4 days at Laguna (hard on brakes), I've had essentially zero wear on my rear XP8's since installing the racingbrake.com 2-piece vented rear disc kit (stock calipers). I have a set of PFC97's that fit without modification, but haven't needed to install them yet, even though the XP8's were already pretty worn to start with. During this time I cracked two stock front rotors and used an entire set of front PFC08s (this despite extensive cool-down time prior to parking). The racingbrake rotors are larger in diameter, so they do shift bias a little bit, but I find as long as you expect the car to rotate easily under trail-braking and reduce your steering inputs accordingly, it's fine. Got them for a crazy cheap price thanks to an Amazon price-engine fluke.

A vented 2-piece makes a huge difference for our car, regardless of who makes it. The Urge disc looks like a great option.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by copmagnet82
Patrick, so just to make sure, you need to shave off 4.5mm from the bracket and 3mm from the pads?
Correct on the Bracket. Please note dimensions on our site. It is 3mm on the short side and 1.5mm on the long.

Pads vary as noted above, some fit straight up. But 3mm is has been the feedback across most pads.

Also, note our rear kit is 2 lbs lighter per rotor than any other rear solution. This is rotational weight that is closer to the hub than larger diameter kits so noticeable acceleration and braking benefits. Even with being lighter, all customers have noted improved braking performance, less wear on rears and fronts.

We have always had the philosophy of why go bigger if lighter will do, especially unsprung, rotational weight which has noted acceleration, braking and suspension benefits. Our Front Kit is also the lightest Competition BBK on the market as it is OEM diameter and designed to handle up to 500 HP cars.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have you tried any Endless pads?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge
Originally Posted by copmagnet82' timestamp='1451967962' post='23843820
Patrick, so just to make sure, you need to shave off 4.5mm from the bracket and 3mm from the pads?
Correct on the Bracket. Please note dimensions on our site. It is 3mm on the short side and 1.5mm on the long.

Pads vary as noted above, some fit straight up. But 3mm is has been the feedback across most pads.
Roughly 13mm per pad, including backing plate, is the dimension you need to fit if both pads are at maximum thickness. I think I snuck in 13.5mm but it was extremely tight. For Cobalt, that works out to 2mm per pad (from a base 15mm thickness), and Andie is shaving 1mm from the backing plate and reducing pad material by the other 1mm.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Can you comment on how the rear Urge rotors look after several weekends? It's great to hear pad life has increased but any comment on rotor wear? Also did they advise you on a minimum recommended thickness?
My rotors show little signs of wear besides the slight streak as seen below. They measure 15.5mm and they started at 15.5mm, by my measurement. Total use is around thirty autocross runs and three track days:
Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
My rotors show little signs of wear besides the slight streak as seen below. They measure 15.5mm and they started at 15.5mm, by my measurement. Total use is around thirty autocross runs and three track days:
So I've opted to try a set of the urge rear rotors as well. They look good and hopefully last me a long while. I like the RB rear kit on paper, but RB seems to have some issues and I'm not going to chance any sort of brake failure. I'll post back of my impressions after a few track days this year. Thanks everyone for your reviews, it definitely helped me come to a decision.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by imstimpy' timestamp='1452105531' post='23845128
So I've opted to try a set of the urge rear rotors as well. They look good and hopefully last me a long while. I like the RB rear kit on paper, but RB seems to have some issues and I'm not going to chance any sort of brake failure. I'll post back of my impressions after a few track days this year. Thanks everyone for your reviews, it definitely helped me come to a decision.
Are you using BBK or OEM up front?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rip_ej1
Are you using BBK or OEM up front?
Stoptech kit up front.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a few friends (in twin black S2000s) mention your whip out at TWS today with Chin and remembered reading this thread. They said you're looking good out there

Quick Reply: A Track Braking Review of 2015