S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

On Track Direct Damper Force Measurement at VIR

Old 12-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Oh, god, don't tell me that. I'm building a house up there right now, coming from Arizona, which has a pretty alright scene if you're willing to travel into CA/NM. Is it that bad?
well there's plenty of track days. you can easily go to more 1-2 track days a week if you want during the good weather season. there are 4 tracks within 4 hours of me (I live just north of Tacoma), 1 of them is 15 mins from my house. couple more if you wanna drive to canada just north of the border. but there aren't any time attack events. import modified scene is pretty small at track days. most cars are stock or almost stock (I shouldn't be talking, my car is pretty mild). I typically just end up comparing times to a friend of mine with a BRZ. S2k's are relatively common though, usually a group at most track days I go to.

in case you're wondering, here's the list of the tracks

Pacific Raceways
Ridge Motorsport Park
Portland International Raceway
Oregon Raceway Park (haven't been, but a buddy of mine that goes says its awesome. they don't run sessions, its just open track all day. its kinda in the middle of nowhere so they usually don't have big groups of people)

pm me if you have more questions so we don't derail the thread more. just fyi, I'm not exactly a veteran, just been doing 5-7 track days a year for about 3 years now
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (12-01-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
educated a noob, how do you use the damper force data to change / improve your setup?
The graphs at the end used different criteria: force applied from the damper obtained from the sensor (Izze Engineering sells the amp to CAN bus adapter, $150), and damper velocity and length from a linear potentiometer). The shocks a force dependent on velocity compared to a spring whose force is based on displacement. An anti-roll bar couples left and right dependent on relative displacement.

This data can be used to help in shock valving/tuning. on an adjustable shock, it would be possible to see what the changes did on the track. These often vary depending on the dynamics of the chassis. For the past 15 years, the dynamic nature of shocks has been a key part of chassis setup from soft spring/big bar (high rebound on the inside front kept weight on the inside rear on corner exit) to the current bump spring setups (which use pull down shocks to keep the car on the bump springs).

The dynamic tire temps are probably the biggest help and easiest to use. Taking tire core temps with a probe has been the norm for over 40 years. But that averages turns, braking, and changes in the time it takes to get where the temps are measured and from what is encountered getting there. These tire temp sensors ($300 each) let you see the whole picture and see what happens when adjustments are made to shocks, springs, bars, tire pressures, ride height, camber, toe, etc. They let you analyze each corner separately.

To get vertical load he mounted a strain gage on the barrel of the shock. From the video it seems to work but I'm curious about its accuracy. It seem to work and lets you see how weight is transferring the corner. By working with the different settings on a shock (and a rebuildable shock gives virtual full control, with Penske, Bilstein, etc. providing known shim stacks). It is not that unheard of for an oval track car to be setup to rebuilt shocks in the trailer, it isn't that complicated.

A lot of this depends on what your crew is like. If this is a Formula SAE team with engineering students hanging from the rafters, there are lots of people to do the setup. If you are going to the track solo, the data may be something you deal with after getting back to the shop.

For reference, AIM's evangelist's son ran in Spec Miata about a dozen years ago and had extensive data acquisition. He won the first SCCA Spec Miata national championship.

that driver side rear tire is seeing a lot more heat than the others, and it stays hotter on straights. maybe toe is a little off and its scrubbing a bit and therefore staying hotter than the others?
This was answered in the YouTube comments:
The hot air exiting the engine compartment/radiator is not evenly distributed across the width of the chassis (or down the centerline) but rather a good portion of the flow goes right into the LR tire. Accordingly, the LR runs hot (in addition to VIR being a clockwise circuit). This may be unique to our S2000 as we've removed some equipment from the floor area and made some modifications that could have significantly altered the flow path of hot air.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a track test; teams and companies do track tests at HPDE's all the time... It's not a race and the car is being driven within it's limits...

The alignment is fine, it's a combination of hot air and VIR is notoriously hard on the LR and LF.
Tire temperature will vary from corner to corner. Quite a few IMSA teams at VIR in August were running a different compound PER corner. Measuring tire temperature is a must if you want to exploit the full potential of modern "slicks".

These sensors are mostly aimed towards professionals and manufactures, but these videos help visualize the data.

Caleb
The following users liked this post:
1tuffbb6 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Speaking of DE Champs, my wife calls me the King of DE.

What do I do? I'm not changing chassis and all I keep hearing is how horrible the S2000 is in any TT class. I'm in no position to go W2W either, tons of $$$ and not sure the skills are there anyway.

Maybe I'll do TT anyway and get participation trophies because of weak entry lists? Maybe win a tire here or there.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Unbr3akable
This is a track test; teams and companies do track tests at HPDE's all the time... It's not a race and the car is being driven within it's limits...

The alignment is fine, it's a combination of hot air and VIR is notoriously hard on the LR and LF.
Tire temperature will vary from corner to corner. Quite a few IMSA teams at VIR in August were running a different compound PER corner. Measuring tire temperature is a must if you want to exploit the full potential of modern "slicks".

These sensors are mostly aimed towards professionals and manufactures, but these videos help visualize the data.

Caleb

For the record, Caleb is Izze Engineering...all those clever sensors are his doing. A very, very smart and very, very clever guy.

Question: were you using a linear pot with the shock shaft strain gauge?

Question: Are the measurements on the barrel of the shock accurate? Doesn't the fitting for the reservoir or the valve assemblies on an Ohlins TTX affect the linearity?

Question: What software is available to create the overlays used in your videos?

IMHO, in a competitive racing situation, the tire temp and dynamic load data could be priceless. My experience, more oval and road racing in another era, is that track time at an event is limited. Each race event is expensive, more so with the amortized cost of annual maintenance (e.g. engine/transmission/diff rebuilds) and crash repairs. That data would seem to help get the car dialed in much faster, assuming it can be quickly accessed in a meaning full way.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for Caleb's response! -Jon
Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for the kind words, David. We’re all gifted & talented in our own ways, this just so happens to be my expertise.

Here is a video of the sensors used for this track test:
Facebook Post

1.) Yes, linear pots were used to measure damper shaft displacement. That variable is then used to calculate velocity and acceleration by taking the time derivative. The pots are essential for this type of analysis.

2.) The “wheel load” gauges were initially fitted on the dampers tube for the sake of simplicity. The purpose of that test was to confirm the functionality and performance of the strain gauge amplifier. It’s not an ideal location because the measurement is affected by changes in internal pressure - but the data is still very much relevant and the trends are absolutely correct. The ideal location for the gauges is on the lower or upper mounts/forks, and the use of custom full-bridge layouts that completely cancel bending forces and purely measure axial forces. Here is an example of a full-bridge I installed on a lower damper fork, perfect for measuring wheel loads and estimating damper forces (with use of linear pot to estimate spring force):
Facebook Post

This same full-bridge gauge layout is used on the dampers shaft, so as to cancel bending forces and purely measure axial force. It’s probably obvious that this work isn’t trivial, but is commonly used by professional race teams.

3.) I do most of my data visualization work with Matlab - a bit involved for most people, even the pros. However, a simpler approach is to use AiM’s smartycam or Racelogic’s new HD2 system. The HD2 - with some clever trickery - can create overlays very similar to those shown in my tire temp, brake temp, and wheel load videos. The HD2 will continue to improve and is being used by many professionals now, whereas the smartycam has insufficient processing power to complete with the HD2.

Yes, tire temperature sensors are one of the most important “chassis” sensors used on a modern day race car with slicks. Like you said, teams will have a strictly planned out test schedule and personnel dedicated for data analysis. The car needs to be dialed in as quickly as possible, and these sensors are invaluable for this. Lower tiers of Motorsport strictly and explicitly outlaw the use of infrared tire temperature sensors, and for good reason (
advantage gained, cost control, driver aid, etc.).

Caleb
Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

2.) The “wheel load” gauges were initially fitted on the dampers tube for the sake of simplicity. The purpose of that test was to confirm the functionality and performance of the strain gauge amplifier. It’s not an ideal location because the measurement is affected by changes in internal pressure - but the data is still very much relevant and the trends are absolutely correct. The ideal location for the gauges is on the lower or upper mounts/forks, and the use of custom full-bridge layouts that completely cancel bending forces and purely measure axial forces. Here is an example of a full-bridge I installed on a lower damper fork, perfect for measuring wheel loads and estimating damper forces (with use of linear pot to estimate spring force): https://www.facebook.com/izzeracing/...49666521876010
Very cool setup, do you have math channels to account for the anti-roll bar's effect on the wheel loads? It looks like you have the lower damper mount force calibrated to read in actual tire Fz, but that alone wont account for the ARBs. Since you have linear pots you should be able to account for the ARB with the delta damper length and a stiffness to find the delta load between the left and right wheel.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 PM

Lower tiers of Motorsport strictly and explicitly outlaw the use of infrared tire temperature sensors,
I searched the GCR and NASA ST rules and couldn't find a reference to infrared sensors or tire temp sensors.

Doesn't the Autosport Labs data recorders and app work with your sensors? They show this video:

Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

great to have a real race engineer amid us =)

I'm very curios about the wheel load sensor, how would this get installed on a car like the S2000?
I"m abit confused on how some thing like that can be mounted on the shock.

What is the cost like for wheel load sensor? specifically i'm asking because i'm very curious to experiment with various aero components.
I do have AIM MXL2 dash for datalogging.

On another note, when you guys test with the shock velocity meter, do you find you always endup within a certain critical damping ratio range on the optimal setup?
assuming a street car based race car with low downforce, say a total DF of about 400LB at 100mph.
I have a theory that optimal shock damping ratio is always within a certain range (exception to high downforce cars).

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for the kind words, David. We’re all gifted & talented in our own ways, this just so happens to be my expertise.

Here is a video of the sensors used for this track test: https://www.facebook.com/izzeracing/...2534714255858/

1.) Yes, linear pots were used to measure damper shaft displacement. That variable is then used to calculate velocity and acceleration by taking the time derivative. The pots are essential for this type of analysis.

2.) The “wheel load” gauges were initially fitted on the dampers tube for the sake of simplicity. The purpose of that test was to confirm the functionality and performance of the strain gauge amplifier. It’s not an ideal location because the measurement is affected by changes in internal pressure - but the data is still very much relevant and the trends are absolutely correct. The ideal location for the gauges is on the lower or upper mounts/forks, and the use of custom full-bridge layouts that completely cancel bending forces and purely measure axial forces. Here is an example of a full-bridge I installed on a lower damper fork, perfect for measuring wheel loads and estimating damper forces (with use of linear pot to estimate spring force): https://www.facebook.com/izzeracing/...49666521876010

This same full-bridge gauge layout is used on the dampers shaft, so as to cancel bending forces and purely measure axial force. It’s probably obvious that this work isn’t trivial, but is commonly used by professional race teams.

3.) I do most of my data visualization work with Matlab - a bit involved for most people, even the pros. However, a simpler approach is to use AiM’s smartycam or Racelogic’s new HD2 system. The HD2 - with some clever trickery - can create overlays very similar to those shown in my tire temp, brake temp, and wheel load videos. The HD2 will continue to improve and is being used by many professionals now, whereas the smartycam has insufficient processing power to complete with the HD2.

Yes, tire temperature sensors are one of the most important “chassis” sensors used on a modern day race car with slicks. Like you said, teams will have a strictly planned out test schedule and personnel dedicated for data analysis. The car needs to be dialed in as quickly as possible, and these sensors are invaluable for this. Lower tiers of Motorsport strictly and explicitly outlaw the use of infrared tire temperature sensors, and for good reason (
advantage gained, cost control, driver aid, etc.).

Caleb

Quick Reply: On Track Direct Damper Force Measurement at VIR