S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track guys ONLY what tranny fluid do you use?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track guys ONLY what tranny fluid do you use?

I ONLY want to hear from track users, or heavy track users what tranny fluid they use in their car? daily drivers, autocross or once a year track timers need not apply.

I below my old tranny, which had penzoil syncromesh in it, got a new AP2 tranny, they filled it up with Honda tranny fluid, did 3 track days with it so far, feels fine. But I want to change the fluid anyway. So the question is, for you heavy track users out there, what tranny fluid do you use? I just bought Royal Purple Syncromax (never used it before in my life) but I figured i may give it a try.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM

I've been using Amsoil MTF for years and done oil analysis testing on both their MTF and motor oil and results came back with very low metal wear. If you have trouble locating a local distributor, Evasive now stocks Amsoil fluids
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it really matters (although I use Honda MTF II).

I think the important step in the process is the intervals. The tranny has no filter or cooler. For cars that are tracked, I would suggest changing the MTF with every oil change (diff every 2-5 days). That is what I do and I've never have any problems (knock on wood). You can definitely tell that a few days at the track on the same fluid causes the fluid to break down....

-Rob
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 PM

i tried motul and didnt like it, too sticky made shifting harder
i agree with rob, just use honda tranny fluid and change them frequently
i flush it every 5 track days along with diff fluid
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanks guys. I will try this Royal Purple, see how it is, then if anything try Amsoil or Honda stuff. I never used a Royal Purple Product in my life, I usually use Mobil 1 for as many fluids as i can, but I am surprised the Royal Purple is not more popular for the tranny. I will see how it is. as long as I don't blow another tranny I will be happy.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by rob.ok,May 6 2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think it really matters (although I use Honda MTF II).

I think the important step in the process is the intervals. The tranny has no filter or cooler. For cars that are tracked, I would suggest changing the MTF with every oil change (diff every 2-5 days). That is what I do and I've never have any problems (knock on wood). You can definitely tell that a few days at the track on the same fluid causes the fluid to break down....

-Rob
I agree, I have heard several people, including the owner of Spoon Racing who does a lot of endurance racing say this. The tranny has no cooler or filter, the fluid kinda just sits there, so changing it with every oil change is highly recommended.

Personally I would use what Honda recommends and change out frequently.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been turned off to Royal Purple anything since reading their blackstone reports on their engine oils. I've never had issues with the Honda MTF fluid, even slipstream444 states that it's a good formula. You might want to PM him for more specific comments. However, like most people, I change it the tranny fluid often - cheap insurance. I'm going to try Amsoil MTF next and get a blackstone analysis.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 AM

I am getting turned off to royal purple because of so many reviews of people not saying its anything special, not to mention its expensive. I figured it would be OK since i head decent things about their oils, also i figured being its a sythetic would help, but now i am having 2nd thoughts. i think i will put it in anyway, i mean i am sure it cannot be THAT bad! or so I hope!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting off the high priced fluids / oils bandwagon. I've never once heard of an engine, tranny, or diff failing cause of the type of lubricant used (given that it is compatible). The real question is how much stress they can endure before breaking down. All things considered, a better lubricant that can operate at higher temps with out degrading is ideal. If your not experiencing that problem though, then standard products should be fine. We measure mechanical components life in hours, not miles.

-Rob
Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ETKMS,May 7 2010, 12:09 AM
I am getting turned off to royal purple because of so many reviews of people not saying its anything special, not to mention its expensive. I figured it would be OK since i head decent things about their oils, also i figured being its a sythetic would help, but now i am having 2nd thoughts. i think i will put it in anyway, i mean i am sure it cannot be THAT bad! or so I hope!
If you already bought it, it won't hurt. Royal Purple engine oil is notorious for sheering, haven't read about their MTF oil though. Given the price I've seen it, I wouldn't want buy RP for a high interval regiment.

Since you're trying it anyways, maybe you can give your impressions after X track days or street miles. Maybe even go a step further and send it to Blackstone.

Quick Reply: Track guys ONLY what tranny fluid do you use?