S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Track prep advice (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/track-prep-advice-1190960/)

HawkeyeGeoff 01-16-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ (Post 24554443)
On the tires: it appears this is a track day car in non-competitive events. No trophies. No prize money. If so, how fast the tire is isn't important. Predictable handling, long life, and lower cost are. There are a lot of expensive, fast tires. Some give decent tread life. Some are marginal on the street. Others with hands-on can chime in, but I understand the RS4 has the longest life, lowest cost, and most predictability. My guess is sticking with 245/40s is best; the 255s may have some clearance issues depending on fender work and wheel offset. STR cars use 255/40s on 17x9 wheels with +60. I believe the RPF1 is at most +45.

How am I supposed to show the other guy my hog is bigger if I'm not faster by spending more money though?! But really I'm team RS4. Between time attack and OTD's (around 12 events) the RS3's lasted a whole season and really are just heat cycled out...still have tread. Highly recommend those as well.

Silkyjohnson 01-16-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ (Post 24554443)
On the tires: it appears this is a track day car in non-competitive events. No trophies. No prize money. If so, how fast the tire is isn't important. Predictable handling, long life, and lower cost are. There are a lot of expensive, fast tires. Some give decent tread life. Some are marginal on the street. Others with hands-on can chime in, but I understand the RS4 has the longest life, lowest cost, and most predictability. My guess is sticking with 245/40s is best; the 255s may have some clearance issues depending on fender work and wheel offset. STR cars use 255/40s on 17x9 wheels with +60. I believe the RPF1 is at most +45.

Fenders are rolled and tabs relocated, I originally ran 245's out of fear for my fenders, but havent had an issue over the past two years with them. I figured when it came time to replace the Z2's I would move up to a 255, I was nervous that the suspension would allow for too much travel to safely run the 255.

The car is transitioning to a track day car, with one day possibly using it for competitive events. I didnt want to just jump in and set the car up for something specific yet, I'd like to get some experience under my belt first. I would eventually like to end up in a TT situation, maybe in another year or two

BradtheMachine 01-17-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silkyjohnson (Post 24554668)
Fenders are rolled and tabs relocated, I originally ran 245's out of fear for my fenders, but havent had an issue over the past two years with them. I figured when it came time to replace the Z2's I would move up to a 255, I was nervous that the suspension would allow for too much travel to safely run the 255.

The car is transitioning to a track day car, with one day possibly using it for competitive events. I didnt want to just jump in and set the car up for something specific yet, I'd like to get some experience under my belt first. I would eventually like to end up in a TT situation, maybe in another year or two

Hope to see you in spring!

Silkyjohnson 01-17-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BradtheMachine (Post 24555391)
Hope to see you in spring!

Definitely, should be signing up for all three events shortly. Cant wait!