S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tracking Stock Car - Need Oil Cooler?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I would err on the side of caution, especially as you are in Houston. For peace of mind, go ahead and install the oil cooler, it certainly won't hurt anything.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I would err on the side of caution, especially as you are in Houston. For peace of mind, go ahead and install the oil cooler, it certainly won't hurt anything.
This was me. I did a few track days with the stock radiator and no oil cooler, oil analysis came back good. After that I added a big dual pass radiator and Setrab oil cooler. Oil analysis came back even better. I sleep a little better knowing temps on the motor are well within the working range.
Its probably not "needed", but I certainly don't think it will hurt anything. I see oil temps of ~240F with the 19-row cooler on an N/A. I image most people who say their oil temps aren't an issue aren't logging oil temps. I'd bet they see north of 270F depending on ambient and air flow. Traffic and track/speed make a big difference in both water and oil temps. As does skill level and length of the session. I had a student who's water temps never went over ~195F. I did 2 instructor laps in the car and water temps went to ~210F and I slowed down to let it cool off.

The s2000 doesn't have a factory oil temp sensor, my assumption you wouldn't know oil temps are too high until it was way too late and the bottom end had issues.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Best Motoring's endurance battle:
Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Nope. None needed. Tracked mine stock for 2 years. No issues.
I agree with this guy.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

With a stock ecu you dont need an oil cooler. Tracked my car stock for 30 events and done 15 with a VAFC. All in florida with a stock radiator and busted up A/C condenser.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
This was me. I did a few track days with the stock radiator and no oil cooler, oil analysis came back good. After that I added a big dual pass radiator and Setrab oil cooler. Oil analysis came back even better. I sleep a little better knowing temps on the motor are well within the working range.
^I'm with this guy. If you're going to be tracking it a lot and regularly, then it's worth the "investment" imo. If you only plan on going a cpl times a year, then it's probably not necessarily worth it. The only problem with people who say "you don't need an oil cooler" is that there are so many variables it might not be worth it for one person, but make sense for another. The problem with those who say "XYZ isn't necessary" is that you never know if there's damage occurring until you hear knocking.. Did you make a post comparing your oil analysis before/after the oil cooler? Sounds interesting, could you share the details or provide the link?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
^I'm with this guy. If you're going to be tracking it a lot and regularly, then it's worth the "investment" imo. If you only plan on going a cpl times a year, then it's probably not necessarily worth it. The only problem with people who say "you don't need an oil cooler" is that there are so many variables it might not be worth it for one person, but make sense for another. The problem with those who say "XYZ isn't necessary" is that you never know if there's damage occurring until you hear knocking.. Did you make a post comparing your oil analysis before/after the oil cooler? Sounds interesting, could you share the details or provide the link?
You are talking about a slippery slope when your justification is whether something is worth the investment. I would say proper safety gear is way more worth the investment than an oil cooler. I think the typical reasons that S2000 motors fail on track are pretty well known.
The following users liked this post:
Kirk180 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding an oil cooler would be good insurance to have, especially if you already have one lying around. Is it an absolute requirement? Idk. I would start with adding an oil temperature and pressure sensor so that you can monitor the oil temps on the track and decide for yourself based on the conditions. Real life test data in the form of oil tests and temperature readings would be the best determining factor.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
You are talking about a slippery slope when your justification is whether something is worth the investment. I would say proper safety gear is way more worth the investment than an oil cooler. I think the typical reasons that S2000 motors fail on track are pretty well known.
Proper safety equipment is quite pricey and a big commitment, whereas an oil cooler is what ~$400? I know plenty of people that track w/o an oil cooler and are just fine.. It just seems like something that's relatively inexpensive for some peace of mind and should provide some benefit. I ran an oil temp gauge for a cpl years before installing an oil cooler.. To each their own..

Last edited by SlowTeg; 02-03-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Data log your temps, and determine if you need one from actual experience. If you don't have data logging equipment, get a simple AEM probe and gauge, then focus a GoPro or similar camera on the gauge.

Quick Reply: Tracking Stock Car - Need Oil Cooler?